SCT Tuner with mods

This is a discussion on SCT Tuner with mods within the F150 Ecoboost Builds forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; 2013 F150 EcoBoost I just received my SCT tuner today. My mods are: Solo Performance high flow cats AFE stage 2 intake AFE charge pipe ...

Member #

SCT Tuner with mods

2013 F150 EcoBoost
    I just received my SCT tuner today.
    My mods are:
    Solo Performance high flow cats
    AFE stage 2 intake
    AFE charge pipe
    BBK 73MM throttle body
    Now will I be wasting my time installing the 87 or 93 octane tune?
    Or will my truck still benefit and run properly with those mods with those tunes.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I believe you will benefit greatly from either of the tunes. Obviously the higher the octane the bigger the performance increase. That also comes with higher fuel costs due to having to run super unleaded. I like the 87 tunes as I have a much improved and powerful driving experience and keep the fuel cost down. I just sent my SCT X3 back to 5 Star Tuning to upgrade to the Livewire. I like the on screen display. I also just ordered the AFE charge pipe, do you like it?

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    I would start at the bottom of the tune choices and drive it for a week or so, then bump up to the next level and do the same. Write a few reminder notes along the way and once you have tried them all pick what fits your everyday driving style the better.

But then is just my train of thought.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
    I would start at the bottom of the tune choices and drive it for a week or so, then bump up to the next level and do the same. Write a few reminder notes along the way and once you have tried them all pick what fits your everyday driving style the better.

But then is just my train of thought.
    Good point. I have found for me that the performance tune nets me better MPG than the economy tune. I live in a hilly area and I think having more HP help with the hills which then helps with the MPG

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmeo View Post
    Good point. I have found for me that the performance tune nets me better MPG than the economy tune. I live in a hilly area and I think having more HP help with the hills which then helps with the MPG
    Same here, just as some programs adjust the shift points, the 97 performance firms up the shift, where as a custom tune on 97 may be too firm for everyday driving and traffic situations. The economy tunes keep the boost level low and more short or early shifts on the transmission to keep RPMs down, where a performance tune will run the RPM higher before shifting and allows more turbo boost early on, which in many cases will improve the over all MPG under certain driving conditions or driver style.

A tune will do just that to the computer, set a new tune of perimeters, but your right foot will be the true application of how the tune gets used.

Links