bonehead mistake

bonehead mistake

This is a discussion on bonehead mistake within the F150 Ecoboost Maintenance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; So I made a bonehead mistake. I have a full race catch can and I was catching very little during the summer and warmer months. ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: bonehead mistake

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

bonehead mistake

So I made a bonehead mistake. I have a full race catch can and I was catching very little during the summer and warmer months. And when I say very little, I mean almost nothing. I ended up getting complacent about it. So over Christmas, I drove from Pittsburgh to Georgia and when I did, I swapped from my 93-octane tune to the 87-octane tune to save some money on gas. I had changed my oil about 1,000 miles prior to heading out on the trip and drained the catch can then with very little catchings. My bonehead mistake is that I forgot to drain the catch can before embarking on my journey. While in Georgia as I pulled into my brother's house I noticed white smoke from the exhaust and a burning oil smell and freaked out.

I had no idea what it might be until I remembered I hadn't drained the catch can. So I grabbed some bottles and drained about a 20-ounce water bottle of crap out of it. I continued to get the white smoke, but it was intermittent. Like only after a hard stop or something, but not every time I stop. Halfway on the trip home, I drained the can again and got maybe 5-ounces. I have drained about the same on two more occasions since returning home. I still get the white smoke on every third stop or so, but not on every stop. I have no smoke or anything while driving or under load. It is only when stopping and I can generally tell when it is going to happen because I can feel a bit of a stumble as I slow down.

I checked the oil dipstick on the drive home and didn't see anything funny. I also don't see anything funny in the other fluids, but will check again when I get home. I was planning to change my oil again this weekend and possibly change spark plugs, but the truck will pretty much be sitting until then. I have not pulled the lines from the catch can to see if they are dry since I got home, but I did look at them on the way home and they seemed dry. But it was dark, so I didn't get a great look. Is there anything else I should be looking at? Did I horribly harm my truck or can I fix this? Please no comments, about the stupid mistake. I know I ****ed up and I am embarrassed enough already. I'm just trying to figure out how to fix it without causing heaps of permanent damage.

Member #
    Liked
    1486 times
    I have nothing to add other than, it happens. You aren't the first, won't be the last. Nobody has a right to bother you over it. Easy mistake. Bet you won't make it again.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks for the support man. Any input would be greatly appreciated about my plan.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Gold Supporting Member Gremlin85's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    It's going to have residual gunk in the lines for a while so you're going to get that smell and smoke for some time. Just keep the can empty for a while and it should clear up in a couple weeks. Too bad it's ill-advised to run seafoam through our engines as it's great for clearing that stuff up.... maybe disconnect the catch can system completely and clean out the lines and whatnot.
    2013 F150 FX4 SCREW 402A, 3.55, Tuxedo Black, STOCK W/ A Very Large Catch Can, Boost Gauge, AEM Dry Drop-In Air Filter, Bed-Rug and a Roll-Up Tonneau Cover.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Yeah. I thought about doing that when I do the oil change. Good point. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    903 times
    I would suggest removing the lines at the engine, and run carb cleaner or similar through it, dumping back into the catch can to clean them out.
    Drain the catch can after that too.
    2014 SCREW Green Gem XLT Plus
    3.55 E-lock - OE HID -
    Heated Adobe Leather - OffRoad Package - AutoSpring 2.5/1 Kit
    DiabloSport 91 Oct Tune - Stubby - Morimoto LED Fogs - LED Backup Lights - ATP CAC
    Enkei M5 20x8.5 30mm - Michelin Defender LTX MS2 275/65R20

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Thank you sir. I will do that.
    13'BoostedPlatinum likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1113 times
    Pull the plugs and clean them, check gap etc...
    I bet some of the plugs are wet.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    rbrown likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Yeah. I was thinking that. I'll probably just replace the plugs because they were almost due anyways.

Gold Supporting Member Gremlin85's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    After doing all these suggestions you'll be good as new
    2013 F150 FX4 SCREW 402A, 3.55, Tuxedo Black, STOCK W/ A Very Large Catch Can, Boost Gauge, AEM Dry Drop-In Air Filter, Bed-Rug and a Roll-Up Tonneau Cover.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links