5th Wheel towing with an EcoBoost

This is a discussion on 5th Wheel towing with an EcoBoost within the F150 Ecoboost Towing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Emerick, Ya I assumed that I would need a slider with the short box. We are quite a few years away from our next trailer ...

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 5th Wheel towing with an EcoBoost

Member #
    Liked
    322 times
    Emerick,

Ya I assumed that I would need a slider with the short box. We are quite a few years away from our next trailer so who knows what will be available then.

Thanks,

SPPD
    2013 Oxford White F-150 XLT 4X2 Screw 5.5 box EcoBeast ~ 301A, MaxTow 3.73 elct rear locker, XLT Chrome Pkg. (Bone Stock)
    ProPride P3
    2013 Palomino SolAire 317 BHSK

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    If I had plans to use a 5th wheel I would have gone with the Super Cab w/8' bed and Max Trailer tow that would have the 3.73 axles. And there is a little know option that few dealers keep in stock. It's a max payload package that use beefed up springs and 7 lug wheels and LT rated tires.

I use this combo for my delivery trucks. Only one has a 5.4 and the 5.0 I am trying my first Ecoboost in my truck.

On all my trucks I use the TIMBREN load boosters along with the Monroe Load Sencing Shocks. It's a gas shock with a coil over spring. Unloaded the truck rides normal. But when loaded it handles much better with less dip in the rear.

Ecoboost Jr Member MusikComposer's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Thanks everyone for all of your responses, very much appreciated.

UPDATE: Our new Keystone Cougar High Country 315RES 5th wheel comes off the production line April 9th and we should be all hooked up to the new coach by the 23rd or so as soon as it is delivered and prepped at the dealer. Stay tuned for towing qualities and drivability qualities.

I have not added anything to the rear suspension as of yet but I am contemplating either Supersprings or Timbrens. Anyone have any thoughts. I want to keep the same ride when not hooked up.

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MusikComposer View Post

UPDATE: Our new Keystone Cougar High Country 315RES 5th wheel comes off the production line April 9th and we should be all hooked up to the new coach by the 23rd or so as soon as it is delivered and prepped at the dealer. Stay tuned for towing qualities and drivability qualities.

I have not added anything to the rear suspension as of yet but I am contemplating either Supersprings or Timbrens. Anyone have any thoughts. I want to keep the same ride when not hooked up.
    That is awesome news !!!! Congrats! Post pics with report please
    2012- King Ranch 4x4, SuperCrew 6.5' bed, Max Tow PKG (3.73), 33" Toyo Open Country (10ply/E-rated), Arctic Spray-in bedliner, Boost Bars (Chrome).

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MusikComposer View Post

Air bags or RAS, if you want the unloaded smooth ride. Let us know how your gross weight on the truck works out
    with the pin weight of the trailer.
    good luck and happy hauling

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabmeb View Post
    Air bags or RAS, if you want the unloaded smooth ride. Let us know how your gross weight on the truck works out
    with the pin weight of the trailer.
    good luck and happy hauling
    x2 on the airbags.
    2012 F-150 XLT CC ECOBOOST 4X4 157"WB Oxford White 3.73's, AutoSpring 1 1/2" Level/Lift, AFE Stage 2 CAI, Custom SCT Tuning , MAK Catless Y-Pipe, Custom 3" Cat-back, 170* TSTAT, Wagner IC

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Wait we can tow 5th wheelers with this truck? I was told no bueno by the dealer. I have been looking at TT toy haulers 28ft range but really like the 5th wheel options. Someone please school me ... Up to what size can I pull? I do not have the max tow package, but do have the installed trailer break and 3.55 gears 145 " WB, 7100 GVWR Package, trailer sway control.
    Last edited by Eco_Punisher; 04-01-2013 at 09:42 AM.
    2012 Tuxedo Black FX2-- "Punisher"
    2011 HD FatBoy
    2003 C5 Z06-Pro Charged

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    No waiting needed EcoBoost_Troup. After posting some questions on the forum I took it upon myself to do some more research including have a face to face with my dealer and the techs that work on them. What I found is that there is not a lot of difference between the regualr towing package and the max tow package. Here is what I am doing to my truck to make it safe and ready for towing my 5th wheel. I ordered and installed a larger tranny cooler. I just ordered 7000# Timbrens from SDTrucksprings and will install them this coming weekend. The only other two things that I will do is order some custom fit mirror add-ons from E-Trailer.com and when I travel across country from California to Florida I am going to install a heavier duty tire as suggested by my dealer.
    Here is a bit of information that may help. Unless you know your dealer and the techs that work there they will only give you the speced information and that is it. If you do your homework you will find no matter how you look at it and no matter what the diesel guys tell you, you still are looking at 420 ft/pds of torque @ 2500 rpm, a tow haul package and one hell of a lot of power in a completely tested and rode hard engine. Ford has done a wonderful job at the design and testing of not only the engine but the drivetrain as a whole. I had every intention of buying a SD before I went to the dealer but the EcoBoost and the tranny combo of the F150 is a perfect match for people the want to pull a TT or a 5th wheel. I came to California a little over a year ago towing a 30' TT overloaded with weight and towing it with an '06 FX4 with a 5.4 Triton. The grapevine was the most white knuckle part of the trip but just so you know there where 3 other RV'ers at the bottom and all three of them were diesels and all three of them had hot brakes. If you plan your haul you plan your safety...That simple.

So as far a 5th wheel goes. The wife and I took our time and researched every possible combination of layout, space, ementies as well as pin and total weight. We chose the Keystone Cougar High Country 315RES because the pin weight and total weight will work. The nice thing about the High Country is that Keystone uses "Helium" technology in the construct of their5th wheels which drastically reduces overall weight and in our case 1975 pounds. I talked to the Keystone factory prior to ordering and they were very helpful in answering my questions. I also found a very good dealer that was recommended by the factory that had complete knowledge of the EcoBoost and its capabilities. They made it very clear that they will not allow delivery if the towing vehicle will not handle it.

We are looking forward to our new coach and I will be posting pictures as well as how the truck handles it. We have a serious mountain range to go over to get from point A to point B and I am sure it will handle it quite well.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    awesome man!! Will have to pick your brain on possible 5th wheel toy haulers...just to keep options open...
    2012 Tuxedo Black FX2-- "Punisher"
    2011 HD FatBoy
    2003 C5 Z06-Pro Charged

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Here is a youtube video link of the coach we purchased. As you will hear in the video the use of Helium technology allows it for a lighter overall weight and 1/2 ton towable.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Links