Firestone Air Bag Suspension ? - Page 2

Firestone Air Bag Suspension ?

This is a discussion on Firestone Air Bag Suspension ? within the F150 Ecoboost Towing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; I personally had Firestone's on my Titan. They were OK until they ran low on air, than they would bang on the frame which was ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Firestone Air Bag Suspension ?

Member #
    Liked
    996 times
    I personally had Firestone's on my Titan.
    They were OK until they ran low on air, than they would bang on the frame which was irritating.
    On my 14` Boost I absolutely love the Loadlifter 5000's, wouldn't change a thing.
    I guess first and foremost what brand application fits your truck in relation to a bumper pull or 5th set up.
    Second what you can afford (what the wife will approve).
    Third what you are looking to achieve.
    Err....not necessarily in that order-lol

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    Quote Originally Posted by great white View Post
    In approx 25 years of installing and using airbags, I've yet to see a Firestone fail in the manner described. Even abused with 0 psi. You are more likely to get the bottoming issue with airlifts than you are to have a Firestone failure. I have seen bags fail due to contact with hot exhaust, but that's another story.

The Air lifts cut the travel in half because of the jounce bumper in the bag. You are stuck with it whether or not you want it there. If a Firestone were to fail and you were using it to support the cargo load,well, you're overloaded anyways. Worse you will get is tire to wheel well contact. I have, however, seen airbag leaks. But it's almost always from poor installation and the lines/fittings leaking.

I have, however, changed lots of OTR truck air bags. But they comprise the entire suspension and run anywhere from 500,000-1,000,000 miles regularly. A failure is inevitable with that kind of use.

But, if the jounce bumper is a worry, simply reinstall it with the Firestone kit installation. The airbag is beside the area where the jounce bumper installs, not replacing it like the Airlifts. The only added distance is the 1/4" or so of the bracket material.

I would be surprise if a 150 had the actual payload to handle a 5th wheel. I have a couple friends who insisted that they were inside their trucks weight limitations with their 5th wheels. One friend even said he worked the numbers and they were good. Well, we were all on a trip once and I ran across the scales. I was good. My buddy did the same and he was well over his GVWR. So were the others who were "positive" they weer good. The trailers pulled fine, but they were over rating. One of those friends was towing this year and had rear wheel shear the wheels studs. It also has had lots of transmission work done and rear end problems (bearings, howling, etc). It is a doge however.....

I always get a giggle when I drive by the local RV place with all sizes of 5Th wheels and "1/2 Ton Towable!!!" plastered on them....

To be clear; I'm not trying to argue one way or the other. Just pointing out things for consideration.

The Ram owners don't seem to care about overloading. I've noticed this over at the Ecodiesel ram forums. Their excuse is the combined axle ratings are way higher than gvwr so therefore it's OK.

Then they go and make fun of Ecoboost owners about how stupid they are for buying a truck with such poor gas mileage.
    Last edited by mass-hole; 01-11-2017 at 02:20 PM.
    2014 Lariat S-Crew, 6.5'ft bed with Max Tow and 502A - Unleashed'd, RX Catch Can, AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Member #
    Liked
    996 times
    Ram Fiat/EcoCrapDiesel owners......bahahahahaha!
    I've NEVER seen them pulling anything bigger than a frickin pop up trailer when I'm blazing up.a 7% grade with my 33' 8k TT.
    Than let's talk about off the line performance. .....wait, we're did the Dodge minions run off to?

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by meaz93 View Post
    They were OK until they ran low on air, than they would bang on the frame which was irritating.
    On my 14` Boost I absolutely love the Loadlifter 5000's, wouldn't change a thing.
    I guess first and foremost what brand application fits your truck in relation to a bumper pull or 5th set up.

Just so everyone is clear, I'm talking about the Airlift load lifter 5000 ultimate, not the load lifter 5000.

the ultimate has the internal jounce bumpers, the "plain" 5000 does not.

The 5000's are essentially the same construction as the Firestone bags, just the bracketry (and mounting location) is different.

Last edited by great white; 01-11-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    996 times
    Quote Originally Posted by great white View Post
    Just so everyone is clear, I'm talking about the Airlift load lifter 5000 ultimate, not the load lifter 5000.

the ultimate has the internal jounce bumpers, the "plain" 5000 does not.

The 5000's are essentially the same construction as the Firestone bags, just the bracketry (and mounting location) is different.

Yeah, my bad. I have the Ultimates.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by meaz93 View Post

$hit, I'm screwed! Been begging for a Turbo for the sled from the wife for last 3 yrs! Bless my wife since she is religous, but I am better off dropping the F-Bomb in the house than saying the T word!

Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sledhead_79 View Post
    $hit, I'm screwed! Been begging for a Turbo for the sled from the wife for last 3 yrs! Bless my wife since she is religous, but I am better off dropping the F-Bomb in the house than saying the T word!
    Turbos suck!

Wait, wrong forum.
    2014 Lariat S-Crew, 6.5'ft bed with Max Tow and 502A - Unleashed'd, RX Catch Can, AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links