Towing a 21' Travel Trailer with Ecoboost across the U.S.

This is a discussion on Towing a 21' Travel Trailer with Ecoboost across the U.S. within the F150 Ecoboost Towing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; I'm getting ready to leave towing a 21' Northwood All Season Travel Trailer on I-40 from the High Desert of Calif. to the East Coast, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Towing a 21' Travel Trailer with Ecoboost across the U.S.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times

Towing a 21' Travel Trailer with Ecoboost across the U.S.

I'm getting ready to leave towing a 21' Northwood All Season Travel Trailer on I-40 from the High Desert of Calif. to the East Coast, and then down through the South. I'll let you know how my 2012 F150 Ecoboost 4x4 crew cab does. I've got a Edge tune on it and it runs pretty strong. I've already towed it down from Oregon and it pulled like a small diesel! I've owned lots of diesels and I like this better! I had one Ecoboost stumble on the Oregon Coast pulling at steady speeds in the rain. Pulled over & shut it off, and when I restarted it was gone! Never had one in the dry, High Desert!Name:  Ford F-150#2.jpg
Views: 4224
Size:  194.7 KBName:  187FL#1.jpg
Views: 2351
Size:  90.2 KB I'll let you know how it all works out in about a month!

Hello all from a new member! A nice forum for Ecoboost owners! The software is great for uploading pictures!

Mr. D
    Last edited by Mr. D; 04-26-2013 at 04:19 AM. Reason: additions
    STdan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Mr D that is awesome stuff! so jealous as it will no doubt be a epic journey for you! Keep us posted and safe travels
    2012- King Ranch 4x4, SuperCrew 6.5' bed, Max Tow PKG (3.73), 33" Toyo Open Country (10ply/E-rated), Arctic Spray-in bedliner, Boost Bars (Chrome).

Member #
    Liked
    323 times
    Very Cool!

SPPD
    2013 Oxford White F-150 XLT 4X2 Screw 5.5 box EcoBeast ~ 301A, MaxTow 3.73 elct rear locker, XLT Chrome Pkg. (Bone Stock)
    ProPride P3
    2013 Palomino SolAire 317 BHSK

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Safe trip bro!

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Drive safe and have a wonderful trip! I know that when I pulled an enclosed trailer loaded with toys and the like that the manual option on my FX4 made it a very smooth ride. 4 gear up a 6% to 7% hill was as smooth as honey. It never even flinched. I was able to time my shifts so that no speed was lost and was able to get even more gas milage out of it (Around 16mpg) through the mountains here in Alaska. And this was all stock.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Thanx for the friendly comments to a new member!

I'll give you a report on the Ecoboost when I get back! I'll either have a great time or be ready to sell the whole outfit to one of you guys!! LOL! Why you say! Because I've been Rving since I was 26 and I'm 71 now! I've been just about everywhere in the U.S. multiple times! I took my two sons on a couple of "Around the U.S. trips" that were 3 months long. After a while it was like being Gypsies! After three months they would have stayed out longer, but school was starting! Our only home was a travel trailer! So, it could be a,"Been there.... done that!" experience at 71! I guess I'll know in a month if the thrill is still there!

I sure love the Ecoboost! I've had every kind of diesel and loved the GM Duramax, but for towing a medium sized trailer I prefer the Ecoboost... especially when not towing!

Here's my other Ford! I couldn't find the right towing equipment to pull my trailer! LOL!
    HName:  •Mustang Supercharged.jpg
Views: 2853
Size:  62.1 KBName:  Latest Engine.jpg
Views: 2237
Size:  44.3 KB
    Last edited by Mr. D; 04-27-2013 at 01:36 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times

Report on: Towing With An Ecoboost 4x4 Crew Cab

Name:  18L#1.jpg
Views: 2180
Size:  191.2 KBName:  18L#2.jpg
Views: 2210
Size:  176.8 KBName:  •Florida Camp Spot.jpg
Views: 2064
Size:  118.5 KBName:  •Honda Generator.jpg
Views: 2119
Size:  136.3 KB
    Name:  •Trailer-alone.jpg
Views: 2079
Size:  142.3 KBName:  Trailer#1.jpg
Views: 2454
Size:  260.6 KBName:  18L Floorplan.jpg
Views: 1976
Size:  39.2 KB

I pulled a 21’ 6,500 lb. travel trailer all across the U.S. with a 2012 Crew Cab 4x4 Ecoboost. I traveled from California to the East Coast across I-40 and down through the South & Florida and home again on I-10. I promised to give a report on how the Ecoboost performed for those interested in how it compares to towing with a diesel. I’ve been pulling travel trailers for 45 years so I know a thing or two about them both 5th wheel and ball & hitch type!

I’ve pulled the same size trailer with both the Dodge Cummins and the Chevy Duramax, as well as big block gasoline engines, so I can offer a good comparison. First of all, I was running and Edge Programmer on the 87 octane economy setting that gives the 3.5L Ecoboost another 50+/- H. P. It has plenty of power in all situations and I only had one short “Ecoboost Stumble” incident in the rain. On an earlier trip on the Coast of Oregon in the rain it stumbled so badly I had to pull over to the shoulder and restart it. The Ecoboost 3.5L does not seem to pull quite as strongly as my 2009 Chevy Drama did. It is more comparable to the small Cummins diesel in Dodges around 2004 which was the last Dodge I owned. In any case it has plenty of power to do anything I need to do in traffic or in the mountains. The built in braking control from Ford is a dream compared to add on brake controls. The transmission seemed much like the Allison transmission in Chevys, which is a good thing! You don’t even know the trailer is there as you go from highway speeds to 25 MPH through a town. Very smooth braking. I also prefer the older “friction” type sway bars as you can release them completely when backing up in sand or grave and not have the trailer get locked up. For novices, always have the front of a trailer “slightly” lower than the rear or you will get trailer sway! Some people never get that as they sway all over the highway and can’t figure why!

As far as mileage, I would say it is just about the same as a GM Duramax or a Cummins. I suspect a little better than a Ford big block diesel. It probably averaged 9 to 11 MPG based on the wind and grades. Being May, we ran into a lot of wind & just ducked the tornadoes! After the bragging is over, most trucks won’t pull a big rectangle through the wind and get much more than 11 MPG. 87 octane gasoline was about 10% cheaper which probably kept the fuel cost about the same as any diesel pickup. The Ecoboost pulls far more like a diesel than a gasoling engine.

In my opinion the reason to buy a Ecoboost is the lower initial price and the fact that the lighter engine & front suspension makes them ride far nice when you are not towing and driving around town.

I’ll be 72 in December and have been everywhere in the U.S. at least three times over the years, so I’m selling my brand new 2012 Northwood “all Season” 21 ft. trailer after one trip and doing my traveling overseas from now on! I may even sell my truck although I love it! I might keep it for my varmint hunting trips even if I’m not towing anymore! It gets about 18 MPG around town and about 22 on the highway! Not bad for a pickup! I’ve found you can take a nap with the A/C on and it runs nice and cool.

In any case I hope this hopefully object report from and retired science teacher on my towing experience with an Ecoboost helps someone know what to expect especially if they are thing of buying an Ecoboost for towing. Hard to believe a 3.5L engine tows so well.

Hope my report helps someone!

P.S. If you want a great deal on a "All Season"quality trailer and see the floor plan of my new 21' Northwood Desert Fox "all season" top quality trailer with one only trip on it for about a $6500. loss to me for one trip click on these addresses! It's a great deal!

2012 23' Northwood/Desert Fox/Used Once!
    Last edited by Mr. D; 05-28-2013 at 08:02 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    323 times
    Thanks for the update! Sounds like you had a great last hooray! Good luck with selling your trailer.

SPPD
    2013 Oxford White F-150 XLT 4X2 Screw 5.5 box EcoBeast ~ 301A, MaxTow 3.73 elct rear locker, XLT Chrome Pkg. (Bone Stock)
    ProPride P3
    2013 Palomino SolAire 317 BHSK

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Looks like a nice set up. I just yanked the chain today and bought a FX4 to pull my TinCan (Airstream) around the country. New to RVing so I have a lot to learn. I live in Mexico so I have drive my Taco up to the San Francisco Bay Area to pick up the new Beast put a Cap on it and a few other toys and head out to parts unknown. No schedule and no plan as to where I'll go. Best of luck to you on your overseas adventure.

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Thanks for the towing report! Those Desert Fox trailers are nice. I was looking at one of their toy haulers, but just couldn't find one with a decent price in my area. Went with a Raptor Toy Hauler instead.

Did you happen to try the edge on the tow mode? (setting #2)

2012 Oxford White F150 FX4 - 275/70 BFG All-Terrains - Max Tow - Bully Dog Intake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links