F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
My blog post includes pictures - It can be viewed here. I plan to write a review soon about my ProPride hitch as well.

Problem

Our F-150 has squatted in the rear end since we started pulling our travel trailer. Even when using either the Equalizer 4 Point or ProPride 3P weight distribution hitches I wanted the front end to sit a little lower. I never felt that the front end was overly light but I knew that the truck could sit more evenly.
Prior to install with trailer picture

Solution
To solve this issue I decided to first purchase the Air Lift 5000 Ultimate (88200) and try it out. Air Lift has a guarantee with their products so I really had nothing to lose. I decided on the 5000 Ultimate version over the other two available models for my truck. The smaller model I thought was not strong enough for what I wanted and the regular 5000 model did not have a jounce bumper which I feel is needed on the F-150 because the install calls for removing the factory bumper.
Air Bag Installation
I started the installation of the airbags by jacking up the truck and removing the tires. After having a problem removing one of the tires and having some missing parts (grr) I decided to try without removing the tires from under the truck. I put the air valves to fill the bags though the lower license plate holes which has a clean look. I was able to perform a 24 hour pressure test without any issues. The install was easily done from underneath the truck and took me about three hours.
Passenger and driver side installs

Valves in license plate

Decision on the compressor
The install of the air bags had two separate air valves which can create an uneven fill between the two sides. Also, I may not always be in a place with a air compressor available. I could have gotten by with carrying a remote tank with us when pulling but the on board compressor is very convenient.
I selected the Air Lift Load Controller Single Heavy Duty Compressor (25854). I felt that this model had a reasonable cost and had the heavy duty compressor which could be exposed to the elements versus the standard duty compressor which I understood should be installed inside the cab.
Compressor Installation
After reviewing options for locating the gauge, connecting power, and routing the wires and air tubes I started the installation which took about 4 hours. I took my time and double and triple checked many points of the installation. I located the compressor under the truck bed in the center. The pressure gauge and compressor controller is located on the left side of the driver side dash.
Gauge location

Compressor location

Post install picture with trailer

For comparison – Prior to install picture with trailer

Conclusion
The air bags @ 0 PSI with no trailer weight versus 60 PSI with the trailer weight results in no height change in the rear and only a 1/4″ raise on the front with trailer weight. Prior to having the air bags installed, I was down multiple inches in the rear and 1″ high on the front.
I am very happy with the products that Air Lift offers. I was a bit frustrated with the missing parts but Air Lift quickly sent them out after a phone call. The truck is much more level and I no longer feel that I am leaning back in a recliner when pulling. I have some more pulling to do to be sure but my first experience with wind while pulling with the bags has felt like I am not pushed as much with wind or tractor trailers passing. I would recommend these products to anyone.

Nice installation and write-up. Need to post the pictures here, as well.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I will try to update the post in the next week.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 on Tapatalk

Good call on getting the version with the bump stops. I had airbags on my last van and they were both destroyed when the airline between the fill point and the bags was damaged. A couple of good bumps (railroad tracks) with less than the minimum pressure destroyed the bags by pinching them. If I'd had time to fix the leak in a day or two I probably would have been fine, but 2 weeks was too much and they were destroyed. I think having a bump stop in place would have bought me the time I needed.

After that I opted to install timbren load helper bump stops which worked great, but rode a bit rougher than the airbags and resulted in more road noise when loaded.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the confirmation, glad I went that route as well. The 5000 model might be over kill but that's better than not enough in my mind.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Very Nice and level. Hoping that I won't need to install, but it's good to see that we have an good and successful option.

I have the same bags for my F150 and love them. I opted for the wireless controller however and love the fact that I can adjust on the fly. You should never runn those bags at zero pressure. Although the ad says you can do it...that is only for short perios of time...like due to an airbag failure. They still recommend 5 psi unloaded. The internal jounce bumper are a great feature in the event of an airbag failure while towing.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Yep, the lead controller that I installed keeps them at 5psi minimum.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 on Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.