Have i made a big mistake?

This is a discussion on Have i made a big mistake? within the F150 Ecoboost Towing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Hello, I bought my 2012 Ecoboost 4x4 Supercrew with the trailer package and 3.53 axle in February. I love my truck so far, but I'm ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Have i made a big mistake?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Hello, I bought my 2012 Ecoboost 4x4 Supercrew with the trailer package and 3.53 axle in February. I love my truck so far, but I'm afraid I may have made a big mistake this week. I bought a Coachman Freedom Express TT and now I'm afraid I bought too much trailer for my truck. I haven't been able to weigh it yet so this is just based on manufactures weights. Dry wt. is 6800# and the hitch wt. should be just over 900#. So loaded I'm guessing the GTW will be about 7600# if I don't fill the fresh water tank and hitch wt. about 950#. The towing capacity calculates out with about 1200# to spare but with that hitch wt. the payload capacity of the truck is very close to the max. So far I've only towed it from the dealer home and had a lot of sway. The dealer threw in a used Equalizer WD 10,000/1000# hitch. I'm hoping the towing problems were because the hitch isn't adjusted right and not that I have too much trailer. I had plenty of power, but I was not comfortable with the handling especially over 60 mph. The steering wheel was off center while towing and driving straight.

This is a great forum. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
    Last edited by bear; 05-31-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Having looked at the specs for the Coachman on their website, you should not have a problem towing it. The hitch weight seems to be fine. As for the sway control, having a good hitch helps but it mostly takes practice. While I have never towed that specific trailer, I have towed some large trailers. Learning your shift points for hills and knowing how to deal with the wind gusts, road angles and other conditions that you may encounter while towing is something that takes time. what you can do is take the trailer to the dealership and see what they say about the whole situation.

Edit: A good person to PM bout this is m361, he tows a trailer like the one that you bought.
    Last edited by AKSilverboost; 05-30-2013 at 12:09 PM.
    2012 Ingot Silver FX4 Ecoboost, Super Crew, max tow package, VisionX 6500 Lumin flood light, aFe 4" Mach Force Cat Back Exhaust, aFe Stage 2 CAI, aFe Bladerunner Charge Pipe, BBK 73mm throttle Body.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    I have a 25ft Raptor Toy Hauler that has a hitch weight of about 1130 pounds when empty. I normally stay between 55-65 when towing and it seems fine. Anything above 65 and it feels a little out of control especially if its windy. I'm using a reese weight distribution hitch along with one sway bar. I know I'm right at the limits so I take it easy with the trailer is unloaded. Now with a ATV in the back, the hitch weight drops to about 950 pounds and the total weight of the trailer is around 8000 pounds. Still under what the max towing capability is for the truck.

I have the 3.73 gears, but I don't think that would make much of a difference on handling.

2012 Oxford White F150 FX4 - 275/70 BFG All-Terrains - Max Tow - Bully Dog Intake

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the replies. I wish I had bought a little less trailer. I'd be more comfortable with more cushion, but I really like the floorplan of the trailer and since I spend 3-4 days a week in it comfortable living space overrode my better judgment. I think that if I tune the WHD a little better and work on how I load the trailer to reduce the tongue weight I'll can improve the handling. Are there any after market upgrades that would increase the payload capacity?

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    You can try an add-a-leaf springs in the rear. Autospring has some that "advertise" to increase payload.

Now you can get the lift you need plus additional carrying capacity. Due to popular demand. Auto Spring Kits now has available a rear lift add-a-leaf kit for the 2009-2013 F-150 2wd or 4wd. This kit will raise the rear 1-1/2 to 2 inches and increase your factory carrying capacity an additional 950 lbs.
    2009-2013 FORD F-150 Rear Add-A-Leaf Kit - $129.95 : Auto Spring Corporation, Idaho's Largest Inventory of Auto and Truck Springs.

^^ I've been temped to purchase a set.

Also, I picked up one a Sherline LM1000 Trailer Tongue Weight Scale so I know exactly what the tongue weight is: Sherline LM1000 Trailer Tongue Weight Scale - Amazon.com

2012 Oxford White F150 FX4 - 275/70 BFG All-Terrains - Max Tow - Bully Dog Intake

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Did you read my post on tips to "Newbies" below yours especially about the angle of the trailer front to rear. A ball & hitch trailer must be slightly lower in the front to avoid swaying. Sometimes level works, but never have the front of the trailer higher. You may want to add another friction sway bar on the other side for bad wind conditions.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks Mr. D. Yes I did read your post, it has a lot of good information and advice.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I had just Googled the helper springs and will look into it. I do plan to get a Tongue Weight Scale. I think it would be very useful.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    400 times
    Check out my signature below and search my trailer. I am about the same weight as you dry, and I have zero towing issues with my EcoBeast. Wind related sway is just sometimes unavoidable and you just need to slow down or park until conditions get better. Your truck is more than capable of towing that trailer well. Just dial in the hitch and work on your loading, and all will be fine.

Keep us posted on your progress and happy travels.

SPPD
    2013 Oxford White F-150 XLT 4X2 Screw 5.5 box EcoBeast ~ 301A, MaxTow 3.73 elct rear locker, XLT Chrome Pkg. (Bone Stock)
    ProPride P3
    2013 Palomino SolAire 317 BHSK

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It's not the weight that is causing the problem. You got to think of your trailer as a big sail and when the wind pushes it, it in return pushes you the opposite direction. And because the truck is only a half ton it is lite and easier to push around.
    I also tow a big trailer (35ft) and when I first started towing I though I may have made a big mistake. But now 2 years later I feel a lot better.
    Read the tips for towing on here, they are great. Set your trailer up right, use a equalizer hitch and anti sway bar, take your time and learn what your truck can do and what it can't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links