2018 Ford F-150 Debuts with New Diesel Engine and More Tech

This is a discussion on 2018 Ford F-150 Debuts with New Diesel Engine and More Tech within the F150 Ecoboost News forums, part of the Ford F150 Ecoboost category; Just ahead of its hometown auto show in Detroit, the refreshed 2018 Ford F-150 was revealed with more technology, a new diesel engine , and ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By winchested

Thread: 2018 Ford F-150 Debuts with New Diesel Engine and More Tech

Member #

Just ahead of its hometown auto show in Detroit, the refreshed 2018 Ford F-150 was revealed with more technology, a new diesel engine, and a segment-first 10-speed transmission.

The biggest news with the 2018 Ford F-150 is the availability of an all-new 3.0-liter Power Stroke turbo diesel engine, which marks the first time the popular pickup is offered with a diesel. Although output for this new engine has not been fully revealed, expect it to be both fuel efficient and well-suited for towing.

The refreshed truck also replaces the base 3.5-liter V6 with a more efficient 3.3L unit that is expected to offer the same 282 horsepower and 253 pound-feet of torque as the engine it replaces. The second-generation 2.7L EcoBoost also gets tweaked for better efficiency, more output, and better durability and will be paired with the new 10-speed transmission. Not to be left out, the 5.0L V8 also gets upgraded for higher output and will also be hooked up to the new 10-speed. Ford has not yet announced specific output for the upgraded engines but has confirmed that stop/start will be standard on all F-150s.
    Read more about the 2018 Ford F-150 Debuts with New Diesel Engine and More Tech at AutoGuide.com.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I am amazed and surprised at the level of changes, refinements, and rebuilds with respect to the power trains in the mid-cycle refresh of the F150 considering what they've done from 2015 until now, and how much they've done compared to the competition; the latter has done almost nothing since then. I felt like that 2018 would be mostly about some cosmetic styling changes to the front and rear; some updates to connectivity, safety, and luxury appointments; and if the rumors were true, a new 3.0 V6 diesel paired with the new 10-speed transmission as an power train choice, and I had guessed that it would come with the dropping of the base engine, because I didn't see Ford offering five engines. However, I didn't see how dropping the base engine would work either since Ford would have been at a disadvantage cost wise versus the other base engines in the industry. So it looks like that question is answered...There will be five engine choices...I'm guessing that the diesel will be in very limited numbers at $40K and up, but will wait and see. I read somewhere that the diesel would be a late entry, but can't find that source now; maybe Summer of '18.

Who would have thought, considering how far advanced Ford is versus the competition on power trains, that they'd have decided to update the 2.7 at this time; only three years in. A little bit troubling that part of their announcement is that the new design elements will improve reliability and durability, since I own a current 2.7.

And who'd have thought they'd mess with even the base engine at this time, especially since it is so insignificant anyway, and it's only three years in. I think it has only 10% take rate.

I did think maybe the V8 would get updated, but really thought that would come in the form of a 4.8 V8 DI for either 2018 or 2019, as had been reported and even confirmed by at least one Ford official. So I don't know if this means the 5.0 is here for a while and the 4.8 is scrapped, or if it means this update to include both DI and PFI, is just to hold the current V8 over until a new 4.8 arrives at a later date. I was sure I read where a Ford spokesman, speaking to calm the workers at a Canadian engine plant, stated that their would be a new 4.8 for the Mustang and F150 and that it would be built at the current plant that builds 5.0s, and that it would be a 4.8 liter with direct injection.

Overall, I think these are good moves to benefit future customers; that they'll have more customers from the non-brand loyalists in the future, because there has yet to be a response from GM, Ram, or Toyota; but am astonished that their really doing so much next year instead of just letting the profits fill those coffers or reinvest the profits into the car segment. But I guess it's true what they've been saying..."the best never rests". Ford must have gone right to work applying what they learned with respect to mixing DI with port fuel injection to the entire lineup; the V8 gets it. The 2.7 EB gets it; and even the new base V6 gets it. They'll all have it. Starting only one year after it was introduced in the 3.5 EB.

What to expect...My thinking is that the entire truck line, with the exception of the 3.5 Ecoboost will likely get a bump of maybe 1 mpg in the combined rating as they just keep eeking them up no matter which choice a consumer makes. So that if that turns out to be right, that'd put the base engine at 21 combined city/hwy; the 2.7 EB at 22; the Coyote at 19, but the V8 might do better than one; and when you add to that, the upcoming diesel will likely come in at or about 24, 25 or 26 in the combined rating; and the 3.5 EB was already at 20, they're really going to take off and leave the other manufacturers with respect to the EPA estimates, and that seems to be their obsession lately. As for power and performance and refinement, they'll likely all be improved, although only modestly. Maybe the competitors are working hard and will come all at once with some big, big news; but so far, the competition has not really responded with much in the way of automotive type technologies since 2015 except for the Duramax in the Colorado/Canyon, but that engine is limited to +$36K compact pickup truck buyers in a truck that starts at $21K. What Ford has announced for 2018 will affect all future F150 buyers except for the ones who own the 2017 with the 3.5 Liter Ecoboost.

Is there anyone else surprised by all of these changes for the mid-cycle refresh?
    2015 Gem Green Regular Cab, Short Bed, 2WD with 2.7, regular 3.31 rear axle; cruise, power glass and doors, rear camera, remote Fob (basic), MyKey, rear mirror auto dim, and day-time running lights. Almost work truck.

Member #
    Liked
    1832 times
    I'm excited to see the 2.7 is coming with dual injection and the 10 speed. Well, except that I missed out on it by two years. But I think that will make for an awesome ride. Tune that puppy with dual injection, and have the 10 speed tranny to give you a short first gear and still have a tall top gear.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1870 times
    They announced bringing back the Ford Ranger for 2019 and the Bronco built on the ranger platform again for 2018. So it will be a new Bronco II. Hopefully my Caliber can last another 3-4 years and a used bronco or ranger be in my future! Because ford now has the technology and MPG to stick the 2.7 into the ranger or heck even the 2.3 and have a great MPG small truck that I wouldn't mind making my commuter car, anything 25 mpg and up will work for me!
    mwemaxxowner likes this.
    2011 XLT Screw 6.5' Box, Tux Black, 4" BDS lift, 34" BFG KO2 tires, 18x8.5" +18 XD spy Wheels, PTM oem Flares. Rampage Slimline nerf bars. 5* Tuned 87 P/T.

Member #
    Liked
    1832 times
    A 2.7 powered Bronco II sized vehicle would be fun!

I might as well get the base trim level in that one because it will get beat on and scratch in the woods!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links