2018 Ford F150 Gets a Diesel Engine and a New Look

This is a discussion on 2018 Ford F150 Gets a Diesel Engine and a New Look within the F150 Ecoboost News forums, part of the Ford F150 Ecoboost category; Ford Motor Company has used the 2017 Detroit Auto Show to introduce the facelifted 2018 Ford F150 pickup truck and while the new look is ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By meaz93

Thread: 2018 Ford F150 Gets a Diesel Engine and a New Look

Member #
    Liked
    28 times

Name:  18fordf150_10_hr.jpg
Views: 12283
Size:  59.0 KB

Ford Motor Company has used the 2017 Detroit Auto Show to introduce the facelifted 2018 Ford F150 pickup truck and while the new look is a nice change, the big news is that the 2018 F150 will feature a 3.0L PowerStroke diesel engine – confirming the popular rumors of a diesel-powered half ton Ford. Reprinted with TorqueNews.com with permission.

It has been speculated for at least a year now that the Ford F150 would eventually get a small diesel engine and more recently, spy shots showing test trucks driving around Metro Detroit led us to believe that the F150 would be getting a facelift in the immediate future.

Well, the future is now, as Ford Motor Company has announced that the 2018 Ford F150 will get a new front end, new taillights and a new diesel engine which just might make the F150 the most fuel-friendly half ton truck in America.

The New Face of the 2018 F150
    First up, the biggest surprise with the 2018 Ford F150 is the refreshed face. The current F150 was introduced for the 2015 model year, so after only three model years, the Motor Company has given their bestselling half ton truck a pretty significant exterior refresh.

The key change is the grille design of the 2018 F150, which features a bold two-bar design which spans the grille opening and reaches into the headlight housings. The headlights themselves are new as well, with a similar basic design to that found on the current F150, but the new LED headlights are larger, giving the front end a much wider feel. It should also be noted that on at least one 2018 F150 trimline (presumably the base model), the grille is left open, without the bars, but the headlight design is similar.

Continuing that widening feel is a redesigned front bumper that looks a great deal like the current F150, but revised fog light bezels give the bumper a wider look. Overall, the changes to the front of the 2018 F150 go a long way in making it look bigger and more like the current Super Duty pickups – and that isn’t a bad thing.

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Any specs on that diesel yet?

Current: 2011 F150 Eco STX 3.5L 4x4 6'
    Current Toy: 2016 Keystone Springdale Summerland 2980BHGS
    Previous: 2003 F150 FX4 4x4 5.5'
    Ecoboost Guides & Info:
    - http://f150ecoboost.com
    RV Keystone Springdale Summerland:
    http://bit.ly/2ihPPHI
    Travel Trailer & RV Fun Times:
    http://bit.ly/2ihLzbf
    2011 F150 XLT XTR 3.73 SuperCrew Ecoboost.... w/Tow Package w/o Payload Package...

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirikenewtron View Post
    Front end Looks like a Honda Ridgeline and a Chevy had a baby
    One sexy baby

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1014 times
    Name:  Screenshot_20170109-143024.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  498.8 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20170109-143137.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  537.3 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20170109-143439.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  562.9 KB
    Yep looks like a combination of the two above.
    I really hope it grows on me. Hopefully it may look better in person
    Last edited by Sirikenewtron; 01-09-2017 at 04:52 PM.
    2013 XLT S. Crew cab 4x4

Bilstein leveling coil overs top setting
    3" rear blocks
    34/10.5/17 BFG KO2's
    Husky floor liners
    Raptor Grill lights

Member #
    Liked
    1046 times
    Ford....taking the trash out.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    gsxrdoug likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    F150 will have five power train choices. Diesel recommended for those who drive more than 20K, which means they're preparing PowerStroke wannebes' for sticker shock.

It's also on another thread, but the diesel will not be the only new engine for 2018; though the diesel is the biggest news. The base engine will become a 3.3 V6 NA engine, down from 3.5 with the same power and torque peaks via adding DI/PFI combo fuel delivery. And get this, all four gas engines will get that combo DI and PFI fuel delivery that was designed for the 2017 3.5 liter, and all but the base engine will be mated to the new 10 speed. This means that all power trains get updated or new for MY 2018 except for the the 3.5 EB, which will be only one year old when the 2018s arrive. The 2.7 EB and 5.0 V8 are promised higher performance and efficiency; the 2.7 will get new turbos (I think I read that) and promised better reliability/durability via adding PFI to the fuel delivery mix; and the V8 gets direct injection. Rumors that there would be a 4.8 to replace the 5.0 were either unfounded or they changed their minds, or it's out in the future, because it stays 5.0L.

Except for the base engine, which was announced to have equal output as the current engine, no other details or specs were given though the diesel will most certainly be the already emission-certified 3.0 V6 now sold in a Land Rover for the U.S. that was originally designed by Ford and Peugeot. The numbers in that vehicle are at or about 251/444 peak hp/torque, and I wouldn't expect too big of a change lest new certifications would be required. No mpg info was given or even speculated by Ford folks on any power train for MY 2018, but I'd expect that the 3.5L EB will stay the same since the power train will be carried over from 2017. I'd expect the other gas engines to eek up slightly, but we must keep in mind, Ford is going to be improving on their lead in the mpg race, so eeking up is still up. The Powerstroke could come in as high as 25-26 combined rating city/hwy, but we'll have to see.

Some had speculated, wrongly, that the F150 might have gotten the 3.2 I5 PowerStroke diesel that's in the Transit Van and Wagon 3/4-ton and up, but I knew better. That engine is not suitable for the direction Ford's trying to go with F150. Although it is stone reliable, it's heavy with a cast iron block, not efficient enough to match Ram's Ecodiesel, and it's sort of an old design comparatively in this competitive segment with only 185/350 peak numbers. Besides, it's certified for only 8600 GVWR and up. Tightening up the exhaust would likely lower performance further in a half ton. Some say, it'll be the engine in the upcoming Ranger, because it's in the global Ranger, but I'd be surprised. I think we'll see either this same 3.0 V6 or a more modern, less expensive four cylinder (think baby Duramax that's in the Coloado/Canyon; it's a 2.8 I4) with at least the same performance as that I5. Now that solenoid injectors are once again a design option for emission compliance, that opens the door for slightly less expensive diesels going forward, since piezo is no longer needed, though you wouldn't know it by the price of those diesel compacts over at GM. However, until there is a major breakthrough in diesel exhaust treatment or the EPA softens their strangle on NOx limits, diesels will stay terribly complex, unreliable, expensive to buy and maintain, and not attainable by the average driver; F150 included.
    2015 Gem Green Regular Cab, Short Bed, 2WD with 2.7, regular 3.31 rear axle; cruise, power glass and doors, rear camera, remote Fob (basic), MyKey, rear mirror auto dim, and day-time running lights. Almost work truck.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    In light of the new dieselgate scandal expansion, i.e. Fiat Chrysler (FCA) has now been accused by the EPA and the California Air Resource Board (CARB) of sneeking in software to allow nitrogen oxide tailpipe emissions above the EPA limit to be emitted in certain circumstances; I now wonder if diesel power train options will soon be dead in North America for everything under the 8600 GVWR. If it turns out that the EPA and the CARB are not just witch hunting, and that FCA had intent to deceive and purposely pollute; then I wonder if Ford and Chrysler and GM will back out of their diesel power train programs for 1/2-ton and below, because this time it's the big-selling Ram 1500 Ecodiesel and the Jeep Cherokee Ecodiesel with the 3.0 V6 built by VMI, which is co-owned by Fiat and GM that has been implicated in the scandal. Although sales of diesel passenger cars have plummeted in the face of round one (VW dieselgate), diesel-powered pickup trucks were still doing well, but I wonder since this new fiasco will be surrounded around pickups if this will be the stake in the heart for clean diesels. And only one week after Ford's big announcement.

Of course this all goes to the bigger question that it seems no one ever asks...Why does our EPA and our CARB demand equal limits for diesels and gassers with respect to nitrogen oxides exhaust when it is obvious that nitrogen oxides in and of itself is not a harmful gas nor does it produce smog by itself? And it was obvious from the beginning of this so-called "fuel neutral" policy by the EPA that getting NOx down to those very low levels from a lean-burning combustion system like a diesel power train was going to be very expensive and very difficult. NOx is a by-product of lean combustion, and if you turn lean into rich, then you've taken away one of the biggest advantages of a diesel, which is why we currently have these SCR systems. SCR allows NOx to be created from combustion, but then ammonia kills it before it leaves the tailpipe via diesel exhaust fluid. Moreover as stated above, NOx has to mix with other man-made compounds in the air to produce smog; chiefly volatile organic compounds, which mostly comes from spark-ignition tail pipes, from manufacturing processes, and from consumer product vapors. Especially when one takes in to account that a well-designed clean diesel engine with a particulate filter can have an emission profile lower than what is possible for equal powered gas engines with a 3-way catalyst system with respect to much more harmful pollutants than NOx, then this demand seems unreasonable. For example, one can idle a clean diesel in a closed area and not get carbon monoxide poisoning, because CO is so low in a clean diesel, whereas to do this in a gas car would be certain death, yet diesel power train technologies do not get credit for these areas in which they can be more favorable. My personal opinion is that our regulatory agencies were from the beginning of this so-called fuel neutral policy, trying to make it impossible for diesel-powered vehicles to be available in our market in the future, as they had to have known how far diesel technologies had evolved with respect to power and refinement while maintaining their efficiency advantage.

It could be that if there is another motive by the EPA and the CARB against diesels for political reasons beyond protecting the public health and that this accusation against FCA is just a parting shot before new leadership. Probably not; I'm not a conspiracy theorist by nature, however, I am a skeptic and think of the what ifs. But if it turns out that FCA is not cheating, and this is not a cover up and just a mistake, or that this software does not in fact emit higher levels of NOx as accused, then they may be able to prove their case. But even if the latter is true, they will not get help from the tree hugging community or the media to push towards the truth, because those groups are biased against diesels, and the truth doesn't matter in this case.
    2015 Gem Green Regular Cab, Short Bed, 2WD with 2.7, regular 3.31 rear axle; cruise, power glass and doors, rear camera, remote Fob (basic), MyKey, rear mirror auto dim, and day-time running lights. Almost work truck.

Sponsored Links