Speed limiter

This is a discussion on Speed limiter within the Introductions and Site Help forums, part of the Ford F150 Ecoboost category; Originally Posted by jonrjen I was looking into one of the major Tuners program, and their policy is to leave the Ford Factory Limits in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Speed limiter

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
    I was looking into one of the major Tuners program, and their policy is to leave the Ford Factory Limits in place including RPM and MPH. This is said to be done to keep the limiters with in warranty specs.

Maybe it is a matter of you can remove the tune without any tale/tale signs, but any out of spec recordings IE: over speed or rev will become data logged. And lets face it, the truck is built in the shape of a cinder block you would think that handling at speeds would be a little squirrely at some point. Or toss in a Texas or Kansas style cross wind and you may just end up in the Enchanted Land of OZ.

Yeah my old truck topped out at 132mph and cross winds would make it float LOL. But hey if any of you guys/gals do catch one of those winds flying low and end up here instead of Oz don't sweat I always have cool drinks and hot coffee on hand and we can chat about your trip next to camp fire as I would love to know where the EcoBoost topped out at!
    2012- King Ranch 4x4, SuperCrew 6.5' bed, Max Tow PKG (3.73), 33" Toyo Open Country (10ply/E-rated), Arctic Spray-in bedliner, Boost Bars (Chrome).

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    If you went 132 in a truck then you are crazy and have way bigger knutz than I do. 132 is reserved for my Corvette and 100 is plenty fast in the Ecoboost.

Member #
    Liked
    224 times
    My only rebuttal:

There are a ton of flat, straight and sometimes downhill stretches with good pavement up here. If one is not paying attention to EcoBeast's speedo, one could quickly be having a conversation with an Alaska State Trooper.

Not saying I've been there...she does have a tendency to accelerate on her own if not paid attention to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Oxford White Ford F150 FX4 CCSB | 402A | 3.55 | Leer Cap | Tint, Brow, Pinstripe & White FX4 Decal | Interior LED Swap | Pro Flaps | Cold Weather Front & Winterization | Arc Rite Brush Guard & Rigid Lighting

2008 Black Slate Pearl Mariner Premier | 303A | Moon & Tune | PIAA Heads/Fogs | Cold Weather Front & Winterization

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fastbob View Post
    If you went 132 in a truck then you are crazy and have way bigger knutz than I do. 132 is reserved for my Corvette and 100 is plenty fast in the Ecoboost.
    Easy bob don't want another pair of underwear going out but yeah had a long open road and hit it for a second than came back down just to see the limits lol but I'm with ya those top speeds are reserved for the Stang and bike (which I don't have either anymore lol). It was just nice to have the ability to pass on long straight always that had a road jam packed with RVs doing sight seeing and not pulling off the road.
    2012- King Ranch 4x4, SuperCrew 6.5' bed, Max Tow PKG (3.73), 33" Toyo Open Country (10ply/E-rated), Arctic Spray-in bedliner, Boost Bars (Chrome).

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AK-KingBoost View Post
    Easy bob don't want another pair of underwear going out but yeah had a long open road and hit it for a second than came back down just to see the limits lol but I'm with ya those top speeds are reserved for the Stang and bike (which I don't have either anymore lol). It was just nice to have the ability to pass on long straight always that had a road jam packed with RVs doing sight seeing and not pulling off the road.
    I second that AK....I know 100mph is moving for a pick up but sometimes those slow movers jam things up good. would be nice to not worry about the limiter when I'm passing 3,4,5 cars at a time cuz there doing 50 and won't pass eachother. very few double lane highways around here.
    2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost Candy red, Max Tow/Haul 373 rear gear, 6 1/2 box, Luxury Package. 20" wheels,Sunroof and Navigation. Back flip cover, afe stage 2 CAI, 4" heartthrob exhaust. SCT custom programmed,firstone riderite airbags.

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fx4 4fun View Post
    I second that AK....I know 100mph is moving for a pick up but sometimes those slow movers jam things up good. would be nice to not worry about the limiter when I'm passing 3,4,5 cars at a time cuz there doing 50 and won't pass eachother. very few double lane highways around here.
    Totally with you Brother. You and I are in the same country style of living no doubt LOL. If we had the extra lanes I really would care as much but man when you get that small window of opening to pass the convoy and get back on schedule its just nice to have the ability without question. Don't get me wrong love people coming and visiting and seeing the beautiful sites always welcomed just wish they would remember the smaller lane roads and affects it has on traffic (Actually AK has a law because it gets so bad that if you are the lead vehicle and there are five vehicle behind you, you have to pull over and allow the convoy to pass) LOL.

But here is a picture of what FX4 and I are talking about and why a little extra speed to get around it all on the limited passing spots wouldn't be so bad...
    Attachment 673
    Last edited by AK-KingBoost; 04-26-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    Unless you plan to run sustained speeds in excess of 120 then the tires are a non issue short stints won't bother um. As for the Drive shaft if these trucks have a one piece unit I wouldn't be concerned about that either on short stints. If they still have a carrier bearing even on short blasts it would be OK as long as truck is mechanically sound. Sustained runs then it may be an issue.
    I have removed the speed limiter on my 94 lightining and trust me it will exceed 100 with ease however it is a truck and even as a sport truck it does not feel real sporty at those speeds. Thought the Eco is new and much smoother I don't want to be driving it at high speeds for extended periods as it is a truck and pretty much drives and handles like a truck. Besides we have 3 Mustangs to "go fast" in the Eco is all about styling and profiling. LOL!
    Don

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Two lane road and three cattle hauling semi's bumper to bumper doing 55, I wish I could have done more than 100 mph but you know it wouldn't have hurt me to slow down and enjoy the scenery and made some better gas milage; but without the twin screws I wouln't have had the power to get past them. So in answer to "can you disable the speed limiter, yes you can" but slowing down to enjoy life wouldn't hurt either.

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olehoss View Post
    Two lane road and three cattle hauling semi's bumper to bumper doing 55, I wish I could have done more than 100 mph but you know it wouldn't have hurt me to slow down and enjoy the scenery and made some better gas milage; but without the twin screws I wouln't have had the power to get past them. So in answer to "can you disable the speed limiter, yes you can" but slowing down to enjoy life wouldn't hurt either.
    It is always nice to slow down and enjoy the view around you. And smell the roses.....but that can be hard to do behind three cattle trailers. They have a smell all of there own.

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Lol! Yeah that smell would be rough... I enjoy the view just not stop and go 30 than 50 than stop than 30 again stuff... Short burst is all I need or ever do lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links