Battery saver- system off please start truck! - Page 3

Battery saver- system off please start truck!

This is a discussion on Battery saver- system off please start truck! within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Originally Posted by Zamplatinum Hi Crystal, My truck has about 81000. Miles on it. I purchased the platinum extended warranty from the dealership. They did ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Battery saver- system off please start truck!

Member #
    Liked
    247 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamplatinum View Post
    Hi Crystal,
    My truck has about 81000. Miles on it. I purchased the platinum extended warranty from the dealership. They did a master reset and it was good for 1 day then the message appeared again.
    The service department was horrible! My other issue is that I'm getting the timing chain slap and the dealership verified that it was making a noise. My experience was pretty bad with the service department, I had an appointment for 10 am on Thursday, dropped it off the day before. They didn't call me all day Thursday then Friday I had to call them 3 times before they got back to me on friday. When I asked if the the tbs for the chain slap would be covered by the extended warranty the service guy told me he sent the paperwork to verify that they would cover and he would get back to me on Monday. That's was a week and a half ago! And I still haven't heard back from them. Anyway you could help me would really be appreciated.
    Thank you
    Zach
    Hi Zach,

Reach out to me via private message; I'll arrange for your regional customer service manager to get involved. When writing, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Member #
    Liked
    3620 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dspangler View Post
    Sounds like Ford dealer techs need a refresher course on the BMS??
    Tgank you for not mentioning a weep gole in tgis post. Gave a nice day.
    2013 Sterling Gray FX4 157", Appearance Package, Max Tow, 402a, 36 Gallon Tank, 103k miles.
    Mods: S&B intake, FR resonated exhaust, X4 with LET and MPT tunes, auxiliary backup lights.
    In garage: 170* tstat, AEM meth injection, FR CAC ( black anodized, red tial bov, throttle body spacer, meth bung), AMP powered steps, billet badges, aeroforce gauges w/vent pods.

Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    I think I know the answer, but time will tell. I have been battling "battery saver mode" for a month now.

As many of you know, the PCM controls the alternator. In fords newer trucks, the alternator actually shuts down to get better MPGs. If you drive short trips like I do, the alternator is NEVER doing it's job. These trucks need a lot of juice....and I am not sure why ford would do this.

The good news is, your turner can CHANGE the alternator "shut off programming" during PCM tuning/re-writing. Essentially making sure that the alternator is consistently charging the battery no matter what throttle position.

A few months ago I returned my PCM to stock format (no tune). and sure enough, as soon as the cold winter hits ...BOOM, battery saver mode appears and radio shuts off. I have loaded my performance tune and hopefully now the alternator is constantly charging the battery. Another person I have spoken with has fixed their problem with a tune as mentioned above. SO ....if you have the chance to get a custom tune DO IT. And tell the tuner you want the alternator running 100% with no shut off. I truly believe these trucks need constant juice from the alternator to keep up with everything !!! The battery threshold should NOT be lowered to under 50%. This is just a workaround that will lead to a dead battery over time.
    noodles and Grim Reaper like this.
    My catch can 'how to': http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/42...catch-can.html

'15 Screw 3.5 EB - Unleashed E30 tune - SCT LivewireTS - MBRP 4" catback - VTA - tint - RX catch can
    03 Cobra Terminator
    98 Viper GTS

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    779 times
    A way to bypass the battery saver mode without having to "tune" your truck, as long as your battery and generator are in good operating condition, is to unplug the inductive pickup at the negative battery cable right by the battery. This will allow the alternator to work like a normal alternator.
    I think Ford's idea to implement this on-demand charging crap was to gain minute mpg gains during EPA testing cycle, however in the real world, we're better off with a proper voltage regulated charging system.
    gsxrdoug, Mr B and Grim Reaper like this.
    13 SuperCrew Ruby Red 302A, 4x4 6.5 box, 3.31, Roush 22's. Twin catch cans, "leveled" with Bilsteins (-2 front, -3 rear), AirLift, SCT. Other's may have displacement on demand... I have an endless supply of torque at my right foot's demand.

Member #
    Liked
    2099 times
    I uploaded my revised tune from torrie that included the battery management thing-a-ma-jig and I don't seem to have the battery saver come on instantly anymore as well as the long key-turn starts.

2013 Oxford White EcoBoost FX4 with a few goodies

Quote Originally Posted by erick View Post
    Does a s&b intake need a tune to make it work because im running one on stock tune and it made it slow

Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    A way to bypass the battery saver mode without having to "tune" your truck, as long as your battery and generator are in good operating condition, is to unplug the inductive pickup at the negative battery cable right by the battery. This will allow the alternator to work like a normal alternator.
    I think Ford's idea to implement this on-demand charging crap was to gain minute mpg gains during EPA testing cycle, however in the real world, we're better off with a proper voltage regulated charging system.
    battery saver mode cannot be bypassed by pulling the sensor. The data is stored in the computer.
    My catch can 'how to': http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/42...catch-can.html

'15 Screw 3.5 EB - Unleashed E30 tune - SCT LivewireTS - MBRP 4" catback - VTA - tint - RX catch can
    03 Cobra Terminator
    98 Viper GTS

Member #
    Liked
    1671 times
    I kind of hate the battery saver junk. Let us play roulette if we so choose by blaring our music in the front yard while raking leaves! I can only have the radio playing with the truck off 20 or 30 minutes (just a guess) before I have to turn the truck on for a minute. I think it's too conservative. I like to go to a drive in movie where the sound plays through the vehicle speakers. It's kind of rude to fire up every 30 minutes.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    rodgersfam1980 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    779 times
    Quote Originally Posted by slothman View Post
    battery saver mode cannot be bypassed by pulling the sensor. The data is stored in the computer.
    I'm not talking about the time out effect. I'm talking about when the system goes haywire and within a few seconds of the truck being shut off it goes into battery saver mode. With the inductive pickup unplugged I get a steady 14.2v and never have the warning.
    Last edited by noodles; 12-23-2016 at 11:06 PM.
    rodgersfam1980 and coletrain like this.
    13 SuperCrew Ruby Red 302A, 4x4 6.5 box, 3.31, Roush 22's. Twin catch cans, "leveled" with Bilsteins (-2 front, -3 rear), AirLift, SCT. Other's may have displacement on demand... I have an endless supply of torque at my right foot's demand.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    565 times
    [QUOTE=noodles;573666]A way to bypass the battery saver mode without having to "tune" your truck, as long as your battery and generator are in good operating condition, is to unplug the inductive pickup at the negative battery cable right by the battery. This will allow the alternator to work like a normal alternator.
    I think Ford's idea to implement this on

have pics of this all illusive inductive pickup cable? I been having this issue now for over a year now, with or without tune
    “Regards engine power: Lots is good, more is better, and too much is just enough"
    2013 F150 Supercrew Lariat+ | Kodiac Brown | 4X4 | 502A |Tow | 3.55 E-Locker | SCT X4 5* 93per/tow | aFePower diff. Cover | Bilsteins X4 |HID lights | full LED |spray in bed liner | 3.0 door detent | DeeZee TGA | Retrax Pro Cover | Rugged Ridge FM |Anzo LED side Mirror lights | UPR Billet Emblems | aFePower 4"X12" black exhaust tip | OEM Rear Wheel Well Liners | Westin Contour bull bar | Rigid Industries D-Series D2 LED Lights | raptor grill lights | SnapRest armrest | impulsive driver

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
    I kind of hate the battery saver junk. Let us play roulette if we so choose by blaring our music in the front yard while raking leaves! I can only have the radio playing with the truck off 20 or 30 minutes (just a guess) before I have to turn the truck on for a minute. I think it's too conservative. I like to go to a drive in movie where the sound plays through the vehicle speakers. It's kind of rude to fire up every 30 minutes.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    My sister took her young boys to a drive-in, pulled into the spot, grabbed the speaker off the pole, and when she couldn't get sound out of it, moved (three times in all,) hoping she'd find a speaker that worked.

She finally gave up and asked the guy selling popcorn what the problem was.
    2016 XLT, 3.5L/3.55EL, 4x4 Sport SuperCrew, Shadow Black, 145" WB, 302A, 7000 GVWR Tow Package, Boss Trail Suspension Pack 1 (Icon UCA,) Borla S-type Catback, Full Race Intercooler w/TurboSmart BOV, Full Race Throttle Body Spacer, Reische 170° Thermostat, GT Turbo Upgrade, SPD Performance Flange Kit, Full Race CAI, UPR Catch Can, Anzo LED Switchback Projector Headlights, Recon LED Taillights, Rigid D2 Fog/Driving Lights, Raxiom Integrated Multi-Gauge, BakFlip F1, Nitto Ridge Grappler LT285/65R18, Fuel Anza D558. MPT 93 PR-X Dyno Tune: 435 RWHP @ 6000 RPM/ 456 lb.ft @ 4000 RPM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links