Battery saver- system off please start truck! - Page 6

Battery saver- system off please start truck!

This is a discussion on Battery saver- system off please start truck! within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Battery with core and taxes came to 145.00. Installed it today. Using FORScan I reset the BMS and just for fun reset PCM (all). Started ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Battery saver- system off please start truck!

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Battery with core and taxes came to 145.00. Installed it today. Using FORScan I reset the BMS and just for fun reset PCM (all). Started her up and alternator was charging 14.2 - 14.4. Next time I go for a drive I'll keep an eye on the volts to see if they drop to around 12 to confirm the BMS is working.
    2011 FX2 Natural Gas Conversion, Unichip Controller, Line X bed liner, Tonneau Tri Fold, Weathertech Mud Flaps, Under Bumper LED Reverse Lights, Dual Remote Oil Filter, RX Catch Can, HID Driving Lights, Clear Turn Bulbs, Kicker Upgraded Stereo, USB II Mod, Boost Gauge, 3DXpider Floor Mats, Hood Protector, Vent Shades, LED Interior Lights, Scan Gauge II, Upgraded Smartphone Remote Start, PowerStop OEM Rotors with Z16 Pads Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Drilled CAC Weep Hole thru Support.

Member #
    Liked
    219 times
    update: my truck sat for 3 days, started up perfect. Since I have programmed it with the performance tune the battery saver has not been on. Probably because the alternator is operating every minute, without the stupid ford "shut off".

if anyone is having troubles with this I HIGHLY recommend getting a tune and tell them to change the alternator shut off !!!
    My catch can 'how to': http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/42...catch-can.html

'15 Screw 3.5 EB - Unleashed E30 tune - SCT LivewireTS - MBRP 4" catback - VTA - tint - RX catch can
    98 Viper GTS
    07 GT500- sold

I've always been asked, 'what is my favorite car?' and I've always said 'The next one'. - Carroll Shelby

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Well.....I guess I just don't drive enough anymore!!! Since the new battery install and a reset of the BMS I haven't seen the voltage drop back to 12 - 13ish. This morning the truck remote started fine. Battery voltage was typical 14.2 - 14.4 (engine running). Drove to Superstore (about 3 km's) and got the "Battery Low" warning. Battery showed 12.9 when I first shut it off then dropped to 12.5 before my scan gauge switched off. About an hour later, drove home again with typical charging voltage but when I shut it off the audio system stayed on. Going to put my battery tender on it as it's going cold tonight. Weird.

I did a load test on my old battery after it had been on the trickle charger for a couple of days. Initially it showed 13.1 volts (no-load). It pulled a load of 700 amps (battery is rated 750 cca, tester goes in 100 cca steps) but was showing yellow (cautionary) and registered 10.4 volts during the test and 12.1 volts no-load after. So it's definitely weak. Put it back on the trickle charger.
    2011 FX2 Natural Gas Conversion, Unichip Controller, Line X bed liner, Tonneau Tri Fold, Weathertech Mud Flaps, Under Bumper LED Reverse Lights, Dual Remote Oil Filter, RX Catch Can, HID Driving Lights, Clear Turn Bulbs, Kicker Upgraded Stereo, USB II Mod, Boost Gauge, 3DXpider Floor Mats, Hood Protector, Vent Shades, LED Interior Lights, Scan Gauge II, Upgraded Smartphone Remote Start, PowerStop OEM Rotors with Z16 Pads Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Drilled CAC Weep Hole thru Support.

Member #
    Liked
    620 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker80 View Post
    Well.....I guess I just don't drive enough anymore!!! Since the new battery install and a reset of the BMS I haven't seen the voltage drop back to 12 - 13ish. This morning the truck remote started fine. Battery voltage was typical 14.2 - 14.4 (engine running). Drove to Superstore (about 3 km's) and got the "Battery Low" warning. Battery showed 12.9 when I first shut it off then dropped to 12.5 before my scan gauge switched off. About an hour later, drove home again with typical charging voltage but when I shut it off the audio system stayed on. Going to put my battery tender on it as it's going cold tonight. Weird.

I did a load test on my old battery after it had been on the trickle charger for a couple of days. Initially it showed 13.1 volts (no-load). It pulled a load of 700 amps (battery is rated 750 cca, tester goes in 100 cca steps) but was showing yellow (cautionary) and registered 10.4 volts during the test and 12.1 volts no-load after. So it's definitely weak. Put it back on the trickle charger.
    Disconnect the Bms sensor on battery cable, and see how you like it. See posted 34 on this thread.
    13 SuperCrew Ruby Red 302A, 4x4 6.5 box, 3.31, Roush 22's. Twin catch cans, "leveled" with Bilsteins (-2 front, -3 rear), AirLift, SCT. Other's may have displacement on demand... I have an endless supply of torque at my right foot's demand.

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Disconnect the Bms sensor on battery cable, and see how you like it. See posted 34 on this thread.
    I have a trip planned for tomorrow(120 kms round trip). I'll give it one more try as I haven't drove much since installing new battery. If it remains charging all the way up and back then I'll try removing the BMS connector on the coil.

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker80 View Post
    I have a trip planned for tomorrow(120 kms round trip). I'll give it one more try as I haven't drove much since installing new battery. If it remains charging all the way up and back then I'll try removing the BMS connector on the coil.
    Most of the trip it was running 14.2 - 14.4. Occasionally dropping to 13.5.

Haven't had a "Low Battery" warning since the last time.

I have now disconnected the BMS coil pick-up. Let's see what it does now. I'll keep an eye on my battery voltages at rest (no engine running) and while running.

Member #
    I’ve had my F150 for about a year and a half now (19,000 miles on it now) and have had the battery die four times. I’ve never received the battery saver message. Brought it in to the Ford dealer the first time (about 6 months after purchase) and they said it was a bad battery so they replaced it. When I brought it in the first time it had the factory sound system; when it happened the second time about 4 months later, I had an aftermarket sound system in it and they said the new sound system was causing a draw that killed the battery and wouldn’t cover it; had to pay a diagnostic fee to the dealer to tell me it was my fault.
    I’ve been in the car audio industry for close to 40 years; I did a draw test to determine if there was any draw from the battery and it was minimal; 27 milliamps… not near enough to kill a battery over even a week. It is definitely not the aftermarket system causing the battery to die.
    I then went to an XS Power D6500 battery which has a massive storage capacity, 3,900 amps, 1,070 CCA. It has died twice since changing to the XS Power battery. I was sure it had to be a flaw/fault in the truck itself, so I started researching it online and came across this forum. I’m so glad to know it’s not just me who’s experiencing this issue!

But what can be done about it? I saw in this post where some have brought the truck in and had the BCM reprogrammed to keep the alternator charging, but is this something I should pay for, or should I raise a stink with Ford to get it done at no charge, because the issue is in the truck and it’s still under warranty?

F150 Audioboost

Member #
    Liked
    1831 times
    [QUOTE=noodles;576290]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    You don't leave this plugged in on your truck Noodles??

I had a second dead battery in a month this morning from my truck sitting for 2 days without being driven. I have the alternator tune fix from Torrie as well.
    2013 Oxford White EcoBoost FX4 with a few goodies

Member #
    Liked
    620 times
    [QUOTE=milesej05;602121]
    Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post

You don't leave this plugged in on your truck Noodles??

I had a second dead battery in a month this morning from my truck sitting for 2 days without being driven. I have the alternator tune fix from Torrie as well.
    Works good with it unplugged.
    13 SuperCrew Ruby Red 302A, 4x4 6.5 box, 3.31, Roush 22's. Twin catch cans, "leveled" with Bilsteins (-2 front, -3 rear), AirLift, SCT. Other's may have displacement on demand... I have an endless supply of torque at my right foot's demand.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
    Ours plays through a radio station you tune to.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    As did hers. She just missed the message prior to the start of the movie. That was the joke.
    Last edited by eracer; 01-19-2017 at 05:30 AM.
    2016 XLT, 3.5L/3.55 4x4 Sport SuperCrew, Shadow Black, 145" WB, 302A, 7000 GVWR Tow Package, Boss Trail Suspension Pack 1 (Icon UCA,) Borla S-type Catback, Full Race Intercooler w/TurboSmart BOV, Full Race Throttle Body Spacer, Reische 170° Thermostat, GT Turbo Upgrade, MPT Tune, SPD Performance Flange Kit, Full Race CAI, UPR Catch Can, Anzo LED Switchback Projector Headlights, Recon LED Taillights, Rigid D2 Fog/Driving Lights, Raxiom Integrated Multi-Gauge, BakFlip F1, Nitto Ridge Runner LT285/65R18, Fuel Anza D558.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Sponsored Links