F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Recently I started to have this rear noise. It's like grinding type noise on slow turns from a stop or just when I slow down to about 10 or 5 mph ... not sure what it is. Re-lubed all parts of the brakes. Pads look good too. Next I was thinking change the differential fluid.

It's a 2011 Ecoboost with 70k, so no warranty for me.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Changing the rear diff fluid won't fix a noise. If it is a rear diff noise then it's a rear diff problem.
No offense captain obvious lol but I can't pin point it to the diff. I was hoping that if it the diff someone else had the same issue.

Thanks for the suggestion tho.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
He's a question I guess for anyone that may know a little more about diff.

Since it happens only on a turn, comes and goes, sometimes it happens only when pulling out of the driveway and first time for that day driving.....

Actually cross that out. It's constant now that I drove 200 miles. It got worse. I rotated the tires and lubed all break stuff hoping that it was either bad tire(s) or rusty brake or ebrake. It sounds grinding / whining, hard to describe really.

I was thinking its either a bearing or clutches since its a LS. Never had any go on me so I can't compare the noise when rear bearings go or when clutches go.

I guess what I'm asking is from anyone that knows more about diff, how likely with normal driving and very little towing within all limits, is it my clutches that went in the rear diff vs bearings.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Constant I meant, after 200 mile trip today, I hear the sound making circles in the parking lot. Going straight nothing. Backing into a spot, heard the noise to. I'm leaning more towards a bad bearing the more I read, vs LS clutches. I donno ... how do you know which side it is. No leaks or anything.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
This morning it's on turns louder and driving now I'm starting to feel it just slight and I think I can lightly hear it.

Bearings in the rear? Maybe U-Joint going? Anyone care to shed some light if ya can.

Checking the play in the U-Joint is it still same as the old trucks?

Maybe take the cover off the diff and see if you even have fluid...

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Maybe take the cover off the diff and see if you even have fluid...
Yeah that's my next step, I was going to do the fluid change anyways.

I just popped the truck up and rotated the tires a bit to see if there is griding noise, any play in them, both rear and front and I don't get any noise. It's so weird.

Is it possible that the friction modifier gets used or something. It's possible that maybe the dealer changed the fluid before I got the truck, at 63k and didn't out friction modifier into it or not enough or whatever. Maybe the 7k I out in was just enough to not make any noise and now it's going nuts.

It's a grind more then anything. So frustrating. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, last night was really loud and dingy like something kept kitting lightly metal to ring.

Anyone know how a sticking ebrake sounds? Is it possible that from time to time the ebrake locks up without even using it... Or maybe its stuck just slightly enough for it to rub on and off in turns.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
I'm thinking you have a problem inside the rear end. Gonna have to pull the cover. If it's getting worse, you should be able to see it.
You mean like shavings and what not. I was thinking clutches but at 70k ....

Discussion starter · #12 ·
You sure it's not front iwe’s?
Pretty positive ... No wiggle or noise there either. It started, that in the morning or first time in the day I would backup out of my driveway, that turn out of the driveway I'd have a grind.

The very first time it happened was after about 100 miles, after dropping the golf cart, and driving 25 miles to the fireworks.... I stopped at a light before pulling left into the parking lot and when turned my wife was like what is that grind. It sounded like brakes grind type. I told her I had no idea. After the turn and another turn it was gone. Since, each morning I'd hear it at the very first turn out of the driveway, after that its all good. But I think it's getting worse.

In reading that it might be the yoke too. I donno, it's noisy on turns so something shifts, more weight turning so it makes more noise.

I'll do the fluid change on the differential and see. If nothing is there then might be a seal or yoke on the drive line. I just don't know enough about the drive line to know if it would grind on turns or not and go away

Discussion starter · #13 ·
So a quick update. Took my truck into the parking lot and the modifier didn't do a thing.

At a very small turn and going 5 mph... It feels like I have a spring in the rear going... Dong dong dong... Internally. Like bounce of a tire. Like pong type every turn of the rear wheels.

Any ideas?

Discussion starter · #14 ·
So to finalize and so far I have yet to hear my noise again, but after doing some maintenance cleaning the brakes and lube on caliper parts, I also took off the rotor to clean out the parking brake. I found that the speed sensor on both wheels had a lot of brake dust. Since these are metal of some sort and magnetic it would make sense that 1) the brake dust got attracted to the sensor, 2) it covered the sensor enough so that I've got a slightly wrong reading on slow speeds with turns, as one wheel moved faster then the other and thus ABS would activate some how maybe. I've cleaned it all, nice and put grease where it should be. Driving so far like it did before with nothing in terms of noise, grind, etc... I will follow up if it comes back, for now it's gone and i think doing the regreasing and cleaning of components within the speed sensor, parking brake and caliper did the fix. Hope it helps anyone else, if you end up with a small grind, metal, spring type feel and sound.

Ford limited slip differentials are known to burn through the friction modifiers that are in the lube causing them to stick more creating noise, spinning, and wheel hop. I would replace the rear lube and add the specified friction modifier. This doesn't apply to trucks with e-lockers of course.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.