Engine Cold Start Glich on a 2.7l 2016 F150

This is a discussion on Engine Cold Start Glich on a 2.7l 2016 F150 within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; I bought a new 2016 F150 with the 2.7 ecoboost. I currently have 150 miles on it. I have owned it 4 days and each ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Engine Cold Start Glich on a 2.7l 2016 F150

Member #

I bought a new 2016 F150 with the 2.7 ecoboost. I currently have 150 miles on it. I have owned it 4 days and each day on a cold start I have a weird demon show it's head. Temperatures have been about -10. When I turn the key to start, nothing happens, but the instrument cluster is alive and chiming away. I do this about 3 or 4 times and then the truck starts without a whimper. One time, I saw a message fly by and I think it said something about "charging system". After the initial start for the day, the truck starts without hesitation. Could someone tell me what is going on. My big fear is that this truck is going to leave me stranded.

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by South Dakota Joe View Post
    I bought a new 2016 F150 with the 2.7 ecoboost. I currently have 150 miles on it. I have owned it 4 days and each day on a cold start I have a weird demon show it's head. Temperatures have been about -10. When I turn the key to start, nothing happens, but the instrument cluster is alive and chiming away. I do this about 3 or 4 times and then the truck starts without a whimper. One time, I saw a message fly by and I think it said something about "charging system". After the initial start for the day, the truck starts without hesitation. Could someone tell me what is going on. My big fear is that this truck is going to leave me stranded.
    Hi and welcome. I would go to like AutoZone or similar and they can do a free battery test and charging system test. Might be your battery or your connections with the cold. Just to be safe it's all working in terms of battery.

Current: 2011 F150 Eco STX 3.5L 4x4 6'
    Current Toy: 2016 Keystone Springdale Summerland 2980BHGS
    Previous: 2003 F150 FX4 4x4 5.5'
    Ecoboost Guides & Info:
    - http://f150ecoboost.com
    RV Keystone Springdale Summerland:
    http://bit.ly/2ihPPHI
    Travel Trailer & RV Fun Times:
    http://bit.ly/2ihLzbf
    2011 F150 XLT XTR 3.73 SuperCrew Ecoboost.... w/Tow Package w/o Payload Package...

Member #
    Liked
    1217 times
    Quote Originally Posted by South Dakota Joe View Post
    150 miles... I would be waiting at the dealership in the morning.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    15boost2.7 likes this.
    2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 145" WB
    402a luxury pkg., 535 towing pkg., FX appearance pkg., moonroof, nav, tailgate step
    Undercover Flex, Dee Zee Tailgate Assist, Pop&Lock tailgate lock, Ford wheel liners, Weathertech mud flaps, Rugged Ridge mats, Airlift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate, PowerStop drilled and slotted rotors with Z36 Towing Pads!

Member #
    If it is a battery problem then why would the engine even start at 10 below? When I say "nothing" when I turn the key that means the starter does NOTHING. After a couple attempts at doing nothing the truck starts. Anyway, I went to the dealer, the truck will be out overnight, and I will go in in the next AM. I will keep the key and the tech and I will try this together. I hate being looked at like I have no idea how to start a truck.

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    I'm still trying to figure out why we have a key and not a push to start. Hell a Kia has push to start.
    15boost2.7 likes this.
    2016 Ruby Red 2.7L

Member #
    I just had the same problem. I tried to jump it for an hour to no avail. I charged the battery overnight to be sure. Still, the starter wouldn't do anything other than a 'click'. It was towed to the nearest dealer. I'll keep you updated.

Member #
    I just contacted the dealer over the glitch issue. Like I said I tried 3 days to start it and The starter either do nothing or just click. The screen would say Hillstart Assist disabled, Check brakes, a wrench would light up, charging system service now.....yada yada. I guess it started right up at the dealer and the charging system was fine. They kept it for 3 days and it started every time. I think it wad the result of an engineering error or cheap parts.What did you find out South Dakota Joe?

Member #
    Kstewart I have a mystery and it will go into the dealer tonight. They will keep it out in the cold and see how it starts in the AM. I have erratic engine starting behavior. For the first 6 days of ownership, the starter failed to turn over on first start of day. On repeated turns of the key (up to 4), the truck started normally even in subzero temperature. For the rest of the day, all starting was normal. On the 7th day of ownership the truck started normally at beginning of day (a sign from above ?). Also this AM, the truck started ok. This is now a mystery and finding a cause may be like catching ghosts (or demons). Tomorrow I will get the word. I am starting to thing that it may have been related to the ignition switch........ will see. Good luck with yours.

Member #
    Thanks for the info. I hope everything gets resolved for you. My Fiesta started up at 4F with no problem that day. I guess I'm gonna have to hang a light bulb under the hood on cold nights. It just doesn't seem right when everyone else's un-garages vehicles started up with out block warmers, etc.

Member #
    The truck failed to start at the dealership this AM. The tech had to repeatedly turn the key to get the starter to turn over. This is all new to me. On my old cars and trucks when the starter failed to crank on the turn of the key, there was no use in repeated attempts. It was dead. It seems the F 150 draws power from some external source maybe aliens......... still a mystery. Anyway, warranty repair. The new battery is on order. Now the question I have is WHY did the original battery fail?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links