'14 ecoboost - considering buying. Curious about a few things, re: timing chain, etc.

'14 ecoboost - considering buying. Curious about a few things, re: timing chain, etc.

This is a discussion on '14 ecoboost - considering buying. Curious about a few things, re: timing chain, etc. within the F150 Ecoboost Problems forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Hi all, I've been doing some reading here, and trying to learn as much as I can about the EB engine. I am considering buying ...

View Poll Results: '14 Ecoboost - 84k miles - Do I buy?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy it, it can last

3 75.00%
  • Too much risk, don't buy it

1 25.00%

Member #

Hi all, I've been doing some reading here, and trying to learn as much as I can about the EB engine.

I am considering buying a '14 F-150 EB, with 84,000 miles -

I come from a mechanical background... grew up in a shop, etc.

What I need is reliability as this will be my only vehicle.

Conventional wisdom tells me a naturally aspirated v8 would last longer than a small engine, turbo'ed to get power... since you're putting a lot of pressure on the bottom end of any force induction engine, BUT... I do realize there's some technology and things to possibly make it ok?

My Questions are:
    From all the reading about possible carbon problems, spark plugs, and timing chain issues, I cannot seem to find a "affected year range" - is '14 past this, where the timing chains have been upgraded at the factory?

IF I had to replace timing chains etc. - I am MUCH more inclined to want to do this type of thing myself, as I do not trust ANY shop anywhere. I believe it is a VERY RARE circumstance where you can actually trust any shop. (and I grew up in one, I know how things go)
    So, if I had to replace it myself, how difficult are we talking?

Same for turbo's, if there was a problem, how big a deal is it really to do this?

So in summary, if I buy in at 84k miles - financing the truck, I obviously need it to last me awhile, can I expect to get to 120,000 miles for example? I don't really know how long these things last. - I am very leary of anything over 100,000 miles, even though the engines can last, everything else starts to add up, fuel pumps, etc...

This truck is very attractive, great color, lifted, 35's - looks awesome. it's exactly what I want... But just trying to learn as much as I can about the possible dependability.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I don't have any first hand experience with the timing chain (Knocking on a lot of wood) in my 11 but in my research if is a full weekend job, I think the ford TSB calls for like 12 hours of labor, most of what I read say if you have the knowledge it is not bad just very time consuming. there are a few great step by step threads with pictures and parts lists I have seen in different fourms

I just had a turbo done on my truck (come to find out it didn't even need the problem was something totally different, but was still under my used warrantee so new turbo for free for me) was about 1400 from ford in parts. Again I have seen a bunch of threads about changing these out on the forums and it does not look too bad

From my experience online this is a mixed bag because more people are likely to post about there issues than when things are going great altho I did just see a thread of a guy who is well over 300K on his and I have seen a ton in my area north of 125K I guess its like anything else luck llol

If its lifted with 35's be prepared for absolute garbage for MPG bro in 12-14 range lol
    2011 Race Red Screw XLT, 507.A package, 3.73 rear end, UPR Mega Catch Can

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbff45 View Post
    I don't have any first hand experience with the timing chain (Knocking on a lot of wood) in my 11 but in my research if is a full weekend job, I think the ford TSB calls for like 12 hours of labor, most of what I read say if you have the knowledge it is not bad just very time consuming. there are a few great step by step threads with pictures and parts lists I have seen in different fourms

I just had a turbo done on my truck (come to find out it didn't even need the problem was something totally different, but was still under my used warrantee so new turbo for free for me) was about 1400 from ford in parts. Again I have seen a bunch of threads about changing these out on the forums and it does not look too bad

From my experience online this is a mixed bag because more people are likely to post about there issues than when things are going great altho I did just see a thread of a guy who is well over 300K on his and I have seen a ton in my area north of 125K I guess its like anything else luck llol

If its lifted with 35's be prepared for absolute garbage for MPG bro in 12-14 range lol

Thanks, I appreciate the thoughts! yea, definitely people post more with problems, than when not...

What I just didn't want to run into, was a payment on a truck that needs $7k in work and I don't have that, so having to make payments on a broke down vehicle, = no bueno.

Yea, I assume MPG not tooo wonderful, but I do a lot of highway, so the slight gear up from the tires may help, while hurting in the city of course. I'm not overly concerned about that. I'm mostly concerned about longevity. (driven easy of course)

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I bought a used 2013 Supercrew Black Lariat 4x4 with 130,000 miles a few month ago. It has 141,000 on it today. It was in excellent shape. 1 nickle size scuff on the corner of the front bumper cover and a scuff on the driver's door window plastic cover was the only imperfections I could find. I have put over 10k miles on it now with no regrets. i changed all the fluids and the spark plugs when I got it. I just got a set of Bilstein 5100's and I'm putting the rears on today. I do my own maintenance. I was part of a cross country drive for fuel economy in 2010 when they first came out and have wanted one ever since. I have been following the evolution and reliability of them ever since. I drive a 100 miles round trip to work and am driving it currently in the F150 since I traded in a Chevy Volt on it. I had a 96 Mazda 4x4 that I wanted to upgrade, and this was my selection. I have to get to work rain, snow, sleet, or hail so I have to have a 4x4. I am an operations supervisor in a power plant. I'm driving the F150 this summer, but will it will be parked for my commute in the fall when I get another fuel efficient car to drive to work. I was burning about 40 gallons of fuel a month with the car I was driving and am burning about 125 gallons at about 20 mpg with the Ecoboost.

They are great trucks if you take care of them and it is almost as fun to drive as my Roush Mustang. Get it and you worn't regret it.

Sponsored Links