WRITE UP! How to install 2015-16 CATCH CAN

WRITE UP! How to install 2015-16 CATCH CAN

This is a discussion on WRITE UP! How to install 2015-16 CATCH CAN within the 2015 Ford F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the 2nd Gen F150 Ecoboost Forum category; ****This write up will also work for 2011-2014 trucks. Only difference is the can will mount in the grill area on the passenger side. Also, ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: WRITE UP! How to install 2015-16 CATCH CAN

Member #
    Liked
    231 times

Post WRITE UP! How to install 2015-16 CATCH CAN

****This write up will also work for 2011-2014 trucks. Only difference is the can will mount in the grill area on the passenger side. Also, you will not have the PCV sensor to deal with on the drivers side turbo inlet tube*****

Well I got my RX system installed. Overall I am VERY pleased with this system. It came with everything I needed. For those of you that don't know, these ecoboost motors have LOTS of junk flowing through the PCV system. This "sludge" may be oil, water, fuel, or a combination. With the catch can installed, this junk will be "caught" and will not be allowed into the intake system or engine. The catch can will extend engine life and help fuel economy. Most ecoboost owners will recommend a dual valve catch can system. And if you look at pictures with the amount of sludge caught, you will want one too !
    ***********Please do not turn this into a "brand thread" and fight over "which can is best". This how to is meant to help out the newcomers like myself. I will monitor the mileage and see what I can catch in my 2015.************

Please note this is for info only, and I am not responsible for any damages that may occur to your car

step 1) Remove the plastic engine cover by lifting the front straight up. No bolts are involved, it just clips in.

2) remove both PCV "tubes". There is one on the passenger side and one on the drivers side. They are in the valve cover area. Both pieces just clip onto nipples. To remove them, slide the tab over at the base of the tube, then pull up to release it. Set them aside, you will need them later.

3) Now you need to mount the RX can. For the 2015, you cannot mount it in the grill area like on older year models. The best spot I found was inside the engine bay, right next to the intake snorkel and to the right of the coolant tank. You will have 3 pieces in the kit for the mounting system. One short flat bracket, one long bracket, and one circle clamp. Remove the coolant tank bolt that is on the driver side. Then attach the long bracket to the coolant tank, using the same bolt. Now attach the small bracket to the long bracket. Slide the circle clamp over the RX can. Now attach the small bracket to the circle bracket on the can. At the end of the install you can tighten everything up. When you install the hoses they help support the can as well.

4) Now we are going to work on the passenger side PCV routing. Look on the left side, you will see a BROWN nipple on the PS valve cover. You will run a hose from this nipple, and connect it to the MIDDLE nipple on the RX can. THIS HOSE WILL NOT HAVE A CHECK VALVE. You want the air flowing from the valve cover, toward the center nipple on the can. Now, to make the install cleaner, I utilized the OEM PCV tube connectors that were removed earlier. Otherwise the hose might kink underneath the engine cover. I took a dremel and cut the plastic tubing on the connector. Just cut a small line (not too deep) and you can separate the plastic tubing and remove it from the connector base. Now take the connector, and clip it onto the brown nipple on the valve cover. Then take your hose and route it from the PS PCV (brown nipple) to the center nipple on the can.

5) Time to work on the left side nipple on the can. This time you will need a check valve. The left side nipple on the can will connect to the intake manifold nipple. The manifold nipple is black and right behind the throttle body. Take a piece of hose and attach it to the left side nipple on the can. Now take your one way check valve. Install it so that the flow is pointing AWAY from the can, and toward the intake manifold. Now attach the hose on the intake manifold nipple. Left side of the can is now done !

6) Now it's time to do the right nipple on the can. This is the most invovled part. For this side you will need a check valve, a "T" fitting, one nipple fitting, and your OEM driver side PCV tube. Remember, the check valve needs to point AWAY from the can, and TOWARD the intake air system.

Connect a piece of hose to the right nipple on the can. Now connect the check valve. The arrow should point away from the can. Then attach one more piece of hose to the other end of the check valve. Now it's time to drill ! Get a 1/2" drill bit and drill. Find the turbo INLET tube. It is on the left side of the engine. Follow the intake box and tubing, you will see it lead down to the turbo. This is the tube that you need to drill. It is the LARGER tube you will see connecting to the turbo. Drill as close to the turbo as you can. After you have drilled your hole, you have to tap it for threads. Tap the threads and screw in your L shaped nipple/barb fitting. I put a little bit of RTV on the threads. This will make a nice seal for the fitting.
    Ok, so earlier you hooked up the check valve and hoses to the right side of the can. Now you need to connect the "T" fitting right after the check valve. The "T" fitting is going to route 2 different hoses. One hose will go to the passenger side INLET pipe (which you drilled). The other hose from the T will go to the driver side inlet pipe. We will work on the driver side later. Take your hose and connect it to the passenger side nipple on the inlet tube. Then take that same hose and connect it to one end of the T fitting. Now you will have this: right side can nipple and hose, then check valve, then T fitting. Then from T fitting, hose going out toward the inlet tube on the passenger side.

7) Almost done with the can connections ! Now you will be working on the drivers side PCV system. You should have your T fitting, with one hose remaining. The T fitting will be routed to the nipple that is already connected to the inlet pipe on the drivers side. So you will not have to drill the turbo pipe on this side. However, you will notice a sensor that is on your PCV tubing which you removed earlier. You will need to use this sensor. Get your dremel out cut the OEM PCV tube. I utilized the bottom connector again, so I could clip it onto the barbed fitting (turbo inlet tube). You do not need the top PCV connector which connects to the valve cover. So after your cutting, you will have the PCV tube, with the bottom connector, and the OEM PCV sensor. Just click the piece onto the nipple that is on the turbo pipe. Then slip on a piece of hose and route it to the other end of your T fitting. Your can is now connected to BOTH turbos on the inlet side (cool air charge). Now your can should have all 3 hoses routed !! Also, you need to cap off the drivers side nipple that is on the valve cover.

TO RECAP: LEFT SIDE OF CAN: HOSE OUT TO CHECK VALVE, THEN OUT TO INTAKE MANIFOLD VAC NIPPLE.

MIDDLE NIP ON CAN: HOSE CONNETS TO PCV NIP ON LEFT SIDE VALVE COVER (NO CHECK VALVE)

RIGHT SIDE OF CAN: HOSE OUT TO CHECK VALVE, OUT TO "T" FITTING. T FITTING TO PASSENGER TURBO INLET PIPE, T FITTING TO DRIVER TURBO INLET (WITH SENSOR INLINE).

8) The final step is connecting the clean side seperator. This hose connects the drivers side valve cover to the air intake box. First, install the clean side seperator where the OEM oil cap used to be. It has 2 pieces so you have to install the base first, and then the top piece. Then attach a piece of hose to this clean side cap.

Now you need to drill another hole. Take your 1/2" bit and drill into the side of the intake box. Tap it for threads, and install your nipple fitting. You may also use some RTV to make a good seal. Now just attach the oil cap hose to the air box nipple. The clean side is done !

9) once you have everything connected, check all routing to make sure it's correct. Make sure all hoses are nice and tight. If you feel you need clamps, you can clamp all the hoses down. Make sure both check valves are pointing in the correct direction. Double check your PCV connectors and make sure they are "clipped" on nice and tight. Also tighten down the bracket system for the can.

10) start the truck and let it idle. Double check all connections and listen for vacuum leaks. Look at your gauges make sure there are no check engine lights. Also, for easy draining, you can install a nipple on the bottom of the can. Then attach the clear hose to the bottom. This will make it easy to drain into a coke bottle.

CONGRATS YOU ARE DONE !!!! =)

Last edited by slothman; 02-22-2016 at 11:31 AM.
    My catch can 'how to': http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/42...catch-can.html

'15 Screw 3.5 EB - Unleashed E30 tune - SCT LivewireTS - MBRP 4" catback - VTA - tint - RX catch can
    03 Cobra Terminator
    98 Viper GTS

Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Great write-up!

These are a great dea I just can't see why they cost so much.
    slothman likes this.
    2015 Ingot Silver - 3.5 Ecoboost FX4

Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
    Great write-up!

These are a great dea I just can't see why they cost so much.
    Thank you for the compliment ! I hope the write up helps somebody !

As for the cost point....I do think they are a little expensive, but I feel they are absolutely necessary to help keep the engine healthy !
    milesej05 likes this.

'15 Screw 3.5 EB - Unleashed E30 tune - SCT LivewireTS - MBRP 4" catback - VTA - tint - RX catch can
    03 Cobra Terminator
    98 Viper GTS

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I have been looking for a write up like this for a while Thanks!!
    slothman likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    231 times

03 Cobra Terminator
    98 Viper GTS

Member #
    Liked
    1145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by slothman View Post
    Thank you for the compliment ! I hope the write up helps somebody !

As for the cost point....I do think they are a little expensive, but I feel they are absolutely necessary to help keep the engine healthy !
    I feel this is the EXACT reason that they are so expensive! While I concur that a catch-can offers some benefits, you're not paying for the components + slight mark-up. You're paying for the research & development and what I like to call the "panic premium". This is where people get scared that if they don't have said item that their possession is going to explode/fail/quit working/ etc.

BTW- excellent write-up Slothman.
    -Clark

2013 Ingot Silver SuperCrew XLT - Texas Edition, 3.5L EcoBoost, 3.31 e-locker, AEM drop-in filter, Self-fabricated grill insert, AVS low-profile vent shades, Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70/18

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Great write up. Do all the kits require you to drill a hole in the passenger side inlet tube?

Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    well let's face it....the engine is not going to explode just because you don't have a catch can LOL. But it is a good piece of mind and a great investment.

And thanks for the compliment
    Elmore328 likes this.

03 Cobra Terminator
    98 Viper GTS

Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pthomas86 View Post
    Great write up. Do all the kits require you to drill a hole in the passenger side inlet tube?
    the UPR kit is supposed to be "no drill". However, in my pinion, it is best to incorporate the passenger side inlet tube. This way you insure maximum vacuum is being drawn through the system. Many people don't want to drill due to warranty. Just call your dealer and ask them directly.

03 Cobra Terminator
    98 Viper GTS

Member #
    Liked
    925 times
    You committed the cardinal sin, drilling the passenger intake tube. Your engine will now explode.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links