F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Yup, definitely turbo lag, worse when ambient temperature is hot. Although a lot of it can be attributed more so to throttle lag.

Even running any of my tunes I get lag, especially when it's hot out.
My tip in is right there, when I stomp the pedal to the floor my rpms climb fast but it's a fe seconds before truck takes off.
I can actually feel the turbos catching up and see my boost climbing and when they do my truck takes off like a rocket/sling shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 out of 10 times when you hear someone complain about turbo lag, they're not experiencing turbo lag. Ford (and every other high volume manufacturer) program these trucks to delay / go soft on the takeoff or other hard acceleration, probably to minimize breakage resulting in warranty claims. Get a reputable tune and you'll wonder where the "turbo lag" went.

I've driven naturally aspirated cars with worse "turbo lag" than either of my Ecoboost vehicles. Strange how that works, eh?

9 out of 10 times when you hear someone complain about turbo lag, they're not experiencing turbo lag. Ford (and every other high volume manufacturer) program these trucks to delay / go soft on the takeoff or other hard acceleration, probably to minimize breakage resulting in warranty claims. Get a reputable tune and you'll wonder where the "turbo lag" went.

I've driven naturally aspirated cars with worse "turbo lag" than either of my Ecoboost vehicles. Strange how that works, eh?
What chris said, it's not turbo lag it's the throttle being held back on purpose set by ford.

Tell you tuner to add more tip in.

our turbos spool instantly.

.......was gonna say...lol these turbos are too small for lag to be an issue....for anyone! The issue, as stated is programming/mapping etc, not hardware.
yes and the main thing a "tune" fixes.

I went for a test drive in a 2003 Mustang Cobra back when they were first released. The salesman wouldn't let me drive and he wasn't a car guy by any means. He took off hard from a light and the traction control kicked in when he shifted into second gear. TC was terrible on those cars - we went from pressed back in the seats to lunging forward against the seat belts because the car cut spark and started modulating the brakes to get the wheel spin back under control. This idiot salesman says, word for word, "see! That's the turbos cutting out".

I looked at him in disbelief and tried to explain in elementary terms that the car had a supercharger, not turbos, and that the behavior was due to traction control. He didn't believe me. I reached over and turned off the traction control button at the next light. He took off again and, much to his amazement, the car let him spin horribly at the 1-2 shift because he had no idea how to drive a fast car without traction control policing him.

I came to the Ecoboost from a Ram Ecodiesel; I know, apples to oranges.... but the delay, or lag, on that was horrible.
I could literally floor it and have time to reach over to the radio and change the station before it kicked in. Once it did, it pulled hard.

Reactions: RMB_Ryan
If you have MPT tunes it will never come back...just sayin.

But seriously.

I run MPT tunes and I notice that it comes back. I've never brought it up with Mike though.

It certainly isn't the delay compared to the stock tune and never gets to that point with the MPT tune. I'm not complaining about it, but the improvement is noticeable after doing the "re-calibration".

If you have MPT tunes it will never come back...just sayin.

But seriously.

not 100% accurate, the throttle will always get lazy based on how the driver drives, its part of the adaptive learning like trans shifts to a point.

We don't have twin scroll turbos Elmore.
Ah, my bad. I thought since the mustangs had twin-scroll that ours would be also. Guess I should have "edumacated" myself better before typing that out. ;)

Lag?

Hahahahaha.......... Any lag I get is from the transmission program.

Reactions: jjc155
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.