system is shutting down to protect battery life.

system is shutting down to protect battery life.

This is a discussion on system is shutting down to protect battery life. within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; I have a 2011 F150 with the ecoboost and when it gets below -5 or more when I shut the ignition off it has a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Question system is shutting down to protect battery life.

I have a 2011 F150 with the ecoboost and when it gets below -5 or more when I shut the ignition off it has a message on the radio that says the "system is shutting down to protect battery life". I have replaced the battery under warrenty but still get the warning. When it warms up a bit 20 degrees or so the notice goes away. Any body have any ideas.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    I think there's something in the owners manual on that. Take a look in yours and see if its there for a 2011. I'll check mine first chance I get.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    My truck has started doing the same thing over the past two weeks and it hasn’t been below 40* here in Houston...... The truck cranks fine and shows no sign of a weak battery so i have no clue what could be causing it.....
    2012 F-150 XLT CC ECOBOOST 4X4 157"WB Oxford White 3.73's, AutoSpring 1 1/2" Level/Lift, AFE Stage 2 CAI, Custom SCT Tuning , MAK Catless Y-Pipe, Custom 3" Cat-back, 170* TSTAT, Wagner IC, AEM Water/Meth

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Often times I dont get a chance to drive my Eco for a week or so at a time. With previous trucks / cars I have stuck a Battery Tender (trickle charger) on it with no problems. Am wondering if it's OK to do that given all the electronics on this thing?
    I looked in the manual and they indicate that the Battery Management System ("If Equipped") will "monitor the battery conditions and take actions to extend battery life". I dont know if mine "is equipped" or not. Does have some extra thng hanging off the positive post.
    That makes me very apprehensive to stick the Tender on it.
    Your all thoughts??
    Thanks

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    I would think connecting anything that doesn't raise the voltage above boiling (13.2 volts) would not be detrimental. I was involved in the Auto Meter Battery Extender development and testing and we were careful to not apply more than 1.5 amps in charge mode then only demand amperage at 13.1 volts in maintain mode. Have several in my garage and other places keeping batteries up and running. I thing Battery Tender does the same by only providing what's demanded in maintain mode. Over voltage, voltage spikes and reverse current are quite another story!
    Last edited by Mike Tritle; 02-09-2013 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Should have read "NOT detrimental" in the first sentence!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks Mike. Am sure Battery Tender had done due diligence as well. I have a couple el cheapo Harbor Frieght trickle chagers but don't trust it on anything other than lawn mower battery.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Edited my previous post. Should have read "NOT detrimental" in the first line.

Just check the voltage at the battery from time to time when the charger is on, Ryder. I've seen 18+ volts out of some of these on a fully charged battery and that IS a battery and systems killer! All its doing at that point is overheating the battery.

Now, the charging system in the vehicle might have similar output but the difference is motors and electronics and lights and ignition are all drawing current or are voltage regulated. The battery works like a hydraulic accumulator when things are running and the alternator is charging.
    Last edited by Mike Tritle; 02-09-2013 at 06:20 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mike - Charger during initial charge as well as during float runs right around 12.4 to 12.7. Seems like it will be OK
    Olehoss - thinkin your 2011 has the "Battery Management System" thats causin your messages. If you are like me and dont put many miles on it, might be benifical to put a charger on it. I had an 06 F350 with dual batteries and it's on it's 7th year with original batteries. Granted it doesnt have the same electrical drain at static that the new ones do.

Member #
    I had the same problem saying that system is off to save battery power. My 2011 F150 Eco SCREW had not been driven in two weeks and when I did drive it I got the message. It says in the owners manual that it thinks the battery is below normal charge but after it has been driven a little it will recharge back to normal level. After you have driven and recharged the battey to normal level, when you shut off the ignition you will still get the message, but it has to sit without being started for eight hours then the message will clear.
    That is whatI did and after it sat for eight hours the message cleared.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Mine was showing that message...i thought it was the battery and did some reading. Turns out if the truck sees the battery drop over time while sitting the next time its going to say something. I had a flashlight recharger plugged in for two weeks at the time. I left it that night all unplugged so minimal battery drain, the next day the message was gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links