Best oil for my boost.

This is a discussion on Best oil for my boost. within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; New boost and I was wondering what type of oil to use after break in. Regular or synthetic?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

Best oil for my boost.

New boost and I was wondering what type of oil to use after break in. Regular or synthetic?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm still breaking in my EcoBeast, but when I do change oil, I'm going with Mobil 1. My last vehicle was a turbo charged PT Cruiser, and it went 120,000 with only regular preventive maintenance on the car for the 9 years that I drove it, and I drove it like I stole it.
    I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade, and have extensive knowledge of turbo charged internal combustion engines, and the largest problem with the turbo's is that when you shut down the engine, the dino oil sits in the turbo shaft bearing area and just cooks and forms varnishes and cokes that shortens the life of the bearings and seals in the turbos, eventually causing premature failure. Full synthetic oils do not have these properties.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I agree with Dave Z, I put 2100 easy miles on then changed it over to Mobile 1 full syn.

Member #
    Liked
    322 times
    Welcome to the EcoBeast forum Filthy Animal!

I am gonna stick with conventional until I use up the free oil changes that came with my truck. So at about 9 or 10k I will switch to Mobil 1. I really like M1 and have had great success with it in previous vehicles.

SPPD
    2013 Oxford White F-150 XLT 4X2 Screw 5.5 box EcoBeast ~ 301A, MaxTow 3.73 elct rear locker, XLT Chrome Pkg. (Bone Stock)
    ProPride P3
    2013 Palomino SolAire 317 BHSK

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I agree with all of the above in the synthetics, I have seen really good results from Mobil 1, Royal Purple, and there are coultless praises for Amsoil, I use Castrol, after seeing some pretty convincing results/data while working at the BP Amaco research facility in Naperville Il. But as I've stated before, I am steeped in the philosophy of frequency, My oil gets changed fairly religously at 2500 miles in all of my vehicles, and like those above, I get a ton of trouble free miles out of my vehicles, but I can't justify the cost of synthetic oil at those mileage intervals. It's bad when the guy at the Oil change place tells you that synthetic oil would be a waste as often as you change oil... I've put on over 18k since thanksgiving, so he'd make a lot of money if I used castrol synthetic
    Ruby Red 2013 Platinum Eco-Boost SCREW, 700A 5.5' bed, 3.31 open rear end, Extang full tilt, Extang bedseal, Pop lock Electric Tailgate lock, DeeZee tailgate assist, LED Glow under rail bed lights, DDM tuning 6000k HID Fogs, DDM tuning 6000k replacement headlight bulbs, Recon Smoked LED mirror signals, Bully Dog CAI, AVS smoked aero hoodskin, Billit works intercooler protector, 80% ceramic windshield tint, 20% window tint, waiting on corsa exhaust, undecided about which tuner

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    good info guy's , thanks

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    We always let our Cats cool down a bit before shutting them off. I used an egg timer and simply set it at 5 minutes then the engine would shut down.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I just take to dealership and let them do what they think it needs. Sure I would save a few bucks doing it myself but this way they'll have it on file my truck has been regular pm'd and only touched by them so nothing can come back and bite me in the ass later down the road.
    2012 F150 FX4, Rough Country 6" lift. Ceramic window tint, Recon lighting. 35/12.50/R20 Toyo MT, 20x10 Fuel Hostages, SCT, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate.

Member #
    Liked
    2046 times
    I ran the original oil for a little over 3k. Then changed at my mechanics to synthetic blend. Then back to dealership at 7700 miles for another change of the blend. Ran that till 14,200 and went to full synthetic. I do a lot of freeway driving, have 15,000 in less than 3 months.
    2013 Sterling Gray FX4 157", Appearance Package, Max Tow, 402a, 36 Gallon Tank, 52k miles.
    Mods: S&B intake, FR resonated exhaust, X4 with LET and MPT tunes, auxiliary backup lights.
    To be installed: 170* tstat, AEM meth injection.
    On order: FR CAC ( black anodized, red tial bov, throttle body spacer, meth bung)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Definitely synthetic is best for our engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links