Torque Convertor Lockup Speed vs. Trans Temp vs. Coolant Temp

This is a discussion on Torque Convertor Lockup Speed vs. Trans Temp vs. Coolant Temp within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Good morning guys. I was wondering if anyone had some definitive data on what temp the trans needs to be at to consistently lock-up the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Torque Convertor Lockup Speed vs. Trans Temp vs. Coolant Temp

Member #
    Liked
    276 times

Good morning guys. I was wondering if anyone had some definitive data on what temp the trans needs to be at to consistently lock-up the torque convertor in 6th gear, and if engine coolant temp plays any role in it as well??

I know that after the truck is to operating temp, it can easily lock-up as low as 40-45 mph in 6th gear. But early in the mornings after first starting, it takes a while to lock-up (kind of annoying at 60-65 mph and it won't lock-up, but manageable). I try to watch the trans temp number via the dash screen and it seems to want to be over 100-110 to lock-up. Just curious so figured I'd ask. Thanks
    2014 F150 Super Crew Lariat 4x4 w/Ecoboost - White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat w/Adobe Interior - RX Monster Catch Can - 1.5" Auto Spring Level - 5 Star 93 Perf Tune - Diamond Eye 3.5" Stainless Exhaust System w/4.5" Tip

Ecoboost Sr Member clevernamehere's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    I've noticed the same thing. Torque converter lockup on my truck happens when the trans temp reaches 41c (106 f). I've watched it on my commute many times in summer and winter, and it's always the same.
    OxfordFX4 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    565 times
    Will get you data soon. I'm testing different ideas under WOT but can monitor that too for you. I've created a configuration that pretty much only logs trans stuff. I'm trying to decipher what the heck is going on myself.
    Mike Wood likes this.
    11' XLT Screw 3.5L 2WD 3.55 - Tune Only - LET 93 Tune - 370rwhp / 514rwtq

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    276 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Talley View Post
    Will get you data soon. I'm testing different ideas under WOT but can monitor that too for you. I've created a configuration that pretty much only logs trans stuff. I'm trying to decipher what the heck is going on myself.
    This would be most excellent, thank you sir. The reason I asked about this is because I then wanted to know if tuning (which we all know does change/improve shift points, firmness, etc.) can actually be used to command the trans to lock-up sooner in regards to temps. I would think it locking up would help keep a better load on the engine and allow the engine coolant temps to warm on up, but then again Ford's thoughts may be to keep it unlocked until the trans is up to a certain temp to prevent some kind of unwanted damage...who knows.
    2014 F150 Super Crew Lariat 4x4 w/Ecoboost - White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat w/Adobe Interior - RX Monster Catch Can - 1.5" Auto Spring Level - 5 Star 93 Perf Tune - Diamond Eye 3.5" Stainless Exhaust System w/4.5" Tip

Member #
    Liked
    561 times
    Your correct Mike. TC wont lock up until a preset fluid temp is reached. This is to accelerate the warm up process. Anytime the vanes are spinning w/out lock-up there is more friction, thus more heat. As a rule, you don't want to see fluid temps much over 200-210 * F (not sure C #)for any amount of time. A full syn fluid will tolerate higher temps, but heat over 200*F conventional or blend fluid begins to break down. Easy fix is a auxiliary cooler. We prefer a plate and fin type as they are more efficient than the cheaper tube and fin type. Get us more info Talley on what your doing. I have never tracked time to temp and the variables your talking.

Cheers!

Member #
    Liked
    1143 times
    Watched mine this morning at 5 when I got off and it locked up in 6th at 104℉. That's after letting the engine warm up to temp for ten minutes while I was getting fuel.

2013 F150 FX4 SuperCrew Cab Traded on a 2014 Mustang GT Track Pack

Member #
    Liked
    2540 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OxfordFX4 View Post
    Watched mine this morning at 5 when I got off and it locked up in 6th at 104℉. That's after letting the engine warm up to temp for ten minutes while I was getting fuel.
    That sounds about right. I believe mine locks up around that 50C mark. I haven't watched in a while.
    OxfordFX4 likes this.
    2013 F150 FX4 Appearance Loaded Eco. w/Max Tow. Level lift with 305/55r20 Open Country ATII Extremes. Rear Raptor Shocks. 5 Star Tuned/X4. Wagner Intercooler. AFE Stage 2 Intake. RX Catch Can/UPR CSS. Boost-Bars Raptoid Grille. 30" Hanning LED Bar. Rigid Backup Lights. JW Speaker Fogs. GlowShift Boost Gauge. Remote Access.

1971 Mustang Grande 351C

Prisoner of the other ........... 39% minority
    Member #
    Liked
    1771 times
    I found that in cold weather, just idling (like to warm your engine) doesn't cause the transmission temp to rise very quick. I found it warmed up much quicker slowly driving than idling, especially up a hill or grade.

I found 41*C/106*F seem to be the temperature locks on a bone stock tune. But some of my aftermarket tunes seem to have a lower temp that the TC locks. I suspect there is a "TC Lock Temp" variable in the PCM that a tuner can adjust for you, similar to a Fan ON Temp - if you want. Ask your tuner if he is aware of such a variable and then what he recommends them.
    2013 F-150 4x4 Supercab 145"WB Ecoboost XLT, Group 302A, XTR Trailer Package, E-Lock 3.55s ...

Member #
    Liked
    348 times
    Ford delays lockup when cold to help bring the trans and engine to temp... A trans with an unlocked converter will run hotter....
    personally i dont see any point or advantage in manipulating this via tuner...

Member #
    Liked
    276 times
    Thanks for the info guys. I've got a Hayden 678 plate and fin cooler I never used just sitting here new in box that I'm going to install. That might not help my time to lockup in the cold weather, but watching the trans temps climb to 190-195 doesn't make me sleep well at night haha. I'll look into asking about my tuner of choice adjusting lockup temp whenever I get around to getting tuned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links