2.7 EB long term updates (normal guy) - Page 2

2.7 EB long term updates (normal guy)

This is a discussion on 2.7 EB long term updates (normal guy) within the 2016 Ford F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the 2nd Gen F150 Ecoboost Forum category; 10-22-16 Added Husky front floor mats, dee zee bed mat to the truck. Total $534 The bed mat is total quality and needed in my ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: 2.7 EB long term updates (normal guy)

Member #
    Liked
    18 times

2.7 EB long term updates (normal guy)

10-22-16
    Added Husky front floor mats, dee zee bed mat to the truck. Total $534

The bed mat is total quality and needed in my opinion for the aluminum bed. It helps cut down road noise as well.
    Floor mats are very good and will keep the dirt where it belongs instead of the carpet.
    Husky floor mats were $199 at the dealer. I saved $90 at Amazon with free shipping.
    ($109)

Dee Zee mat is a bargain in my opinion, Way cheaper than a spray in liner. I will have the tail gate done at some point (with LineX) but I am pleased up to this point!
    Maybe planning on another 150-200 dollars on accessories but that's it for me. I will debadge the side ecoboost emblems and the F-150 on the tailgate but that's all I intend to do.
    Oil change coming up in a couple days.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Started to change the oil today but hit a problem, the oil pan plug. The plug has a wing type extension in the center. Is there a specialty tool for this?

By the way, the splash guard is a total PITA to manipulate laying on your back.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I suggest watching this before you change the oil. There are some details that are important. The drain plug is designed to be removed by hand. www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_GGS4qkouI
    Tdog02 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Yeah, I watched that one and the plug is different on my truck. There is no 3/8 square notch. I was looking at the plug and I thought it could be removed by hand but wanted some feed back before yanking on it too hard.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    10-31-16
    Change oil today, 1986 miles. Took a 750 mile road trip this weekend to the farm.
    Oil pan plug came out no problem, I used ramps to get under the truck. I did exactly as instructed (youtube vid and manual) and the oil change was uneventful.

Here is what I learned. I used a 5/16 nut driver on my cordless drill for the four bolts holding up the aero/splash shield. (Much easier)
    I allowed oil to drain about 20 min and still had a thin thread of oil draining, went to 30 minutes to get it all out.
    Took filter off and no drip or spills. Replacement filter and housing go back on without a problem.
    Added 5 3/4 quarts of oil and let it set 15 minutes. Cranked it and had oil pressure immediately. I backed off ramps and let it set for an additional 20 min so I could check oil level. It was just under the top Mark and would have taken the rest of the sixth quart.
    No leaks at filter or plug after driving for 15 minutes. (Took oil to auto parts store for recycle)

Oil out was dark and smelled more like gas than any other oil I've changed in a NA engine. Filter looked new, like just wet with oil but new. Probably wasn't necessary to change the oil but it made me feel good. 19 for filter, 35 for oil, 8 for the 27mm socket for the oil filter housing. Add $63 to my total. Mobil 1 5-30, purolator filter, jobber brand socket.

Driving a 750 mile road trip: nice and quiet. This truck really likes 72mph. I set cruise and let it go. 24 miles per gallon ranging from 55-85 mph during the trip. I am pleased with this engine 6 speed trans combo, the truck is quiet and feels solid.
    Looking good so far. Plan ahead on the filter to save money! I have motorcraft filters coming for about 6 bucks a piece for future oil changes. The socket is a one and done item. Don't spend a lot if you don't have one, cheap will do as there is no torque on the housing to speak of.
    Last edited by Tdog02; 11-18-2016 at 12:54 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    So after driving a week I can tell you that I think the factory fill was motorcraft 5W-20.

Feathering the throttle is nowhere as easy as before to maintain economy above the line. I'm getting nowhere near 24mpg like I was just before the drain.
    Oil came out very thin when I drained. Who knows,
    Anyway, the oil change was easy enough for a driveway change and I will send this next change to Blackstone for analysis. I've used them for my jeep UOA and felt confident that a 5k oci was good for the 4.0 engine.

Average now for driving daily and no towing (so far) stands at 22mpg 2236 miles. Best tank was 93 octane 24.3 and the worst average on a half tank after I got her was 16.1 with lots of turbo use cause it was fun!
    Last edited by Tdog02; 11-18-2016 at 12:57 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Total out of pocket $597. F-150 is cheaper to insure than my Camry. I found this surprising.
    Still working on finding out what all the features of this truck can do.
    I earlier said I wanted to remove the ecoboost badges on the doors but decided to let them stay. I debadged the tailgate and like the decluttered look much better.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    A thread without pics is useless. Here is debadged tailgate. I had to leave the Texas edition badge... had to!
    mwemaxxowner likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1251 times
    Finally you bless us with some pictures.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Tdog02 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Update November 10th, 2016

A day early but happy Veterans Day to all that have served our Nation from a greatful deplorable!

Had rain here yesterday and the Truxsport looked like I had started growing a portable lake. I may have to rethink my tonneau cover for winter. It held the water with a little sag but amazingly left the bed dry, I can only imagine if that had been during a freeze what the extra weight would have done to it. I pick up the hard plates tomorrow and will be officially a registered truck.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links