2.7 EB long term updates (normal guy)

2.7 EB long term updates (normal guy)

This is a discussion on 2.7 EB long term updates (normal guy) within the 2016 Ford F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the 2nd Gen F150 Ecoboost Forum category; This is my normal guy, I bought a F 150 Super Crew with a 2.7 EB thread. First off, I have been looking for a ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: 2.7 EB long term updates (normal guy)

Member #
    Liked
    18 times

Cool 2.7 EB long term updates (normal guy)

This is my normal guy, I bought a F 150 Super Crew with a 2.7 EB thread.

First off, I have been looking for a truck for about 2 years. My last vehicle was a 2002 Jeep Wrangler "TJ" that was a blast to drive but a maintenance nightmare.

I've been driving the wife's old Toyota Camry. To be honest it is a very nice commuter car. It starts every time and the only time it has every left either of us stranded is when the battery died. (same as every other car now days) The wife can leave interior lights on and such so it's not really a fault of the vehicle.

October 11, 2016 I bought a Ford F-150 XLT, 4x2, 302A, Tow package, 3.31 EL axle, Blue Jeans, Dark Gray flow through console, 2.7 EB engine.

First off, I am impressed by this vehicle, I had been dead set on the 5.0 V8 for longevity reasons. I keep vehicles for way longer than the industry average. The last truck I bought new I kept 14 years. So, I want to document the actual use of a 2.7 EB by an average guy who does not want to modify or hot rod a plain jane F150 EB. I won't be running FORSCAN or an engine tune to change the factory vehicle. No, I am heretofore an average guy, in other words, a guy who buys an F150 and drives it for what it is not what it could be.

First off, I wanted a 4x4! It's not what I needed but what I wanted but didn't want to spend the extra money on a look that would mostly go un-used. My rig is a 2WD so I will see if it makes a huge difference. I'm in Texas and the Truck will be a daily driver / family vehicle for the next 5 years. This truck will see highway miles way more than towing or farm work. (I have access to farm vehicles if needed for that)

What I liked about the F150 over the other trucks out there. I liked the way it looked. I liked the flat rear floor. I liked the largest rear floor/legroom area of any other truck offered. I liked the aluminum body that saved around 700lbs, I liked the engineering of the ecoboost 2.7 liter engine, and I liked the MPG of the 2.7 EB engine. This truck is impressive and I think will have a tremendous impact on the future of trucks and engines for the foreseeable future.

What I don't like about the F150, there are too many options (trim lines) for a truck that is the most expensive vehicle that most of us have ever bought. There are trim lines that cost more than what I paid for my first house! (WTF) I stepped in the bed to wipe off the cab roof after a car wash, the bed creaked and popped and I have never had this happen before!!! ( I am 5'10" and about 215lbs)

So far I have had about 21.5MPG overall on the history of the vehicle. I took possession of the truck at 21 miles. I started my test drive with 1.6 miles on the odometer. The get up and go is amazing for the displacement of an engine that is the same size as the base engine of the Toyota Tacoma. Remember it's driving a full size domestic pickup and is capable of towing. Torque comes on low in the RPM band and it moves the full size truck faster than any of the other V8's. I drove ALL the others in this category. I like the F150 better than all for several reasons. Mileage beats them all, ride, comfort, tech etc.. beats the others hands down.

I will update all extra costs that I incur on this vehicle. I will share any problems or issues that I have with this truck, not to bash the manufacturer but to let the average guy what to expect about the new body F150 with the 2.7 babyboost. (my term on the little ecoboost)

513 miles o 10-17-16 and seriously I have enjoyed every stinking mile of this truck. I'm still going through the break in of the engine and at 1000 miles I will do the first oil change. (me, no one else. I have a degree in diesel mechanics and I have turned wrenches for a living before. Oil changes are what I consider the bare minimum of what a man should be able to do on his own)

$33,275 is a truck load (no pun intended) to pay for a truck no matter who makes it. Ford seems to have a serious contender in the F150 2.7EB package. Let's see what's next!
    Last edited by Tdog02; 11-17-2016 at 03:42 PM.
    CGRDT0 and Haus_3.5TT like this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Update 1: on the day of purchase I had the windows ceramic tinted. The stealership quoted $495, I paid $90 out the door for the same tint from a local shop. Some things you don't let the dealer do for any reason!
    Last edited by Tdog02; 10-17-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    October 17, 2016

I went to the dealership today and tried to buy a couple of spare keys. I have the key less entry option on the truck and wanted a couple of extra keys. I have done this with every other vehicle I have ever owned. (new or used) Today the service tech told me they couldn't do the plain jane ford key because it might cause an issue with the computer throwing codes. Replacement switchblade keys are $215 to $230. Fail on Ford's part for not providing a spare (you get 2 key fobs only) and FAIL on my part for not thinking far enough ahead to demand that they provide me with at least one additional spare.

Modern vehicles will not run without a proper key. If you lose, or destroy your original and you don't have the one spare Ford provides for you then you are waiting on a tow truck and the local dealership to get you up and running. Not good if you are 500 miles from home and on a Sunday where most dealerships are closed. (This hasn't happened to me but I like to be prepared)

Member #
    Liked
    1250 times
    I lock mine in the truck and just use the keypad.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    overanalyze and gsxrdoug like this.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
    I lock mine in the truck and just use the keypad.

you must want it to get stolen lol.
    Current: 2016 Mustang GT A6 3.55 GT350 manifold/GT350 TB/GT350 JLT 120mm cai, 47# injectors, SW 1-7/8 Headers/cat less/MBRP race e85 470 rwhp @8k rpm
    OLD:2016 SuperCrew 2.7 EB w/green filter drop in, intake silencer delete, MBRP T409 side and Tuned by Torrie from Unleashed on 93 Octane.
    OLD: 2015 SuperCrew 2.7 EB w/green filter drop in and 93 Tune from Unleashed Tuning.

Member #
    Liked
    1250 times
    If they can get in they can have it.

Member #
    Liked
    1250 times
    Unless they call my bluff.

Then, they most certainly canNOT have it.

15boost2.7 and Haus_3.5TT like this.

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    That first time my bed creaked/popped got me the first time as well! But I love my little 2.7.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Tdog02 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Update: added about 1/2 quart of oil to bring up the level to full. My truck has the tow package which might explain why it was a little low. (Oil cooler)
    I won't track fuel costs during this thread because there are too many variables. So add $4, total extra $94.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    10-21-16
    Added tonneau cover today. Truxsport cover looks nice, fits well, and was easy to install in under 30 minutes.

Total spent now at $384

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links