Warranty questions

Warranty questions

This is a discussion on Warranty questions within the 2016 Ford F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the 2nd Gen F150 Ecoboost Forum category; So I just bought a 2016 supercab 2.7 EB and I pick it up Monday (1-2-17) and I've been going through posts on here for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Warranty questions

Member #

Question Warranty questions

So I just bought a 2016 supercab 2.7 EB and I pick it up Monday (1-2-17) and I've been going through posts on here for the past 9 hours lol. I'm curious as to what I can do and can't do to it that will void my warranty. Like replacing headlights/tail lights stuff like that. Any Info is appreciated. Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Much of it depends on the dealership you plan to get any work done. Some adhere to the Ford guidelines by the numbers and that is that. Others will overlook some things. Then there are things which you pay the dealer to do and the warranty stays in tact versus if you do the work. You install a tuner on the vehicle and most dealers will say no warranty. yet if they sell and install it that changes. Then 5 Star Tuning sells a warranty which kicks in should Ford deny a claim.

Should you start changing out lights and altering wiring without understanding how it affects some of the various computers which monitor the current, BMS, grounds, etc and it goes in for warranty,things could get interesting. While the Magnusson Moss Act provides some protection Ford is known to blame you first and deny until you prove otherwise.

Best thing you can do is ask what the servicing dealer will be tolerant of and hope it never breaks outside of that area since another dealer could feel otherwise. Yet you will findsome have all kinds of mods with a blown engine or trans who never experience an issue from a dealer. While others looked crossed and can't get a dealer to fix something pretty obvious.
    2015 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 King Ranch, 3.5L EcoBoost w/ Max Tow (3.55) - Blue Jeans Metallic w/ Caribou accent, 601A equip, Tech pkg, ACC, FX4, Wheel Well Liners, Tail Gate Step, Box Side Steps, Diode Dynamics XML2 LED bulbs, WeatherTech Floor Liner, Recon Xtreme Scanning Tailgate LED, Amber LED Grill Light

Member #
    That's one thing I noticed was depending on the dealership you go to. I already joked around with one of the mechanics where I bought It from and asked if a tuner would void it and then I said I would just remove it before bringing It in and he replied " then I know nothing about it" so I think I'd be safe with that. But I'm not too sure about other things like the Anzo lights I'm looking at. Thanks for the response !

Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Actually there are multiple ways a skilled tech can tell or provide data to Ford that the PCM or other module has been tampered with. In addition to a counter in there, the PCM also saves data.

The Magnusson Moss Warranty Act pretty well covers things like oil and air filters, tires, brake pads, Anzo lighting... However, there is a section in the law where it states the manufacturer can deny warranty if something you did resulted in the damage claim. In reality Ford dealers are quite adept at saying it is your fault first.

Once you familiarize yourself with the law and the way Ford works you understand you can put Anzo lights in. All is well. If, by chance, some issue arises and Anzo missed some change to the way Ford's computer reads and adjusts for amperage or current draw and you have an error code appear, a turn signal flashing to slow/fast, or high/low sequence out and take it to the dealership to say fix it... That is where you find people start removing the aftermarket parts and installing factory parts to prevent any issues with warranty claims. While not grounds to deny the warranty - many dealers will happily say you have aftermarket parts and that caused the problem.

I would not get overly concerned with changing them out but would keep the originals. Just in case...
    2015 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 King Ranch, 3.5L EcoBoost w/ Max Tow (3.55) - Blue Jeans Metallic w/ Caribou accent, 601A equip, Tech pkg, ACC, FX4, Wheel Well Liners, Tail Gate Step, Box Side Steps, Diode Dynamics XML2 LED bulbs, WeatherTech Floor Liner, Recon Xtreme Scanning Tailgate LED, Amber LED Grill Light

Member #
    Liked
    982 times
    There's no flash counter, there is key cycle counter though
    2013 XLT S. Crew cab 4x4
    3.31 Gears
    Bilstein leveling coil overs top setting
    3" rear blocks

Husky floor liners
    Raptor Grill lights

Member #
    I really like the Anzo lights and I'm probably going to get them. I've been looking at 5* with their warranty and probably going to go with them for the tuner.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirikenewtron View Post
    what does that mean exactly?

Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirikenewtron View Post
    The average tech does not have access to it with the basic dealership tools. Ford did develop a method and uses technology from Delphi Diagnostics Auto IQ Service Solutions which reveals significantly more history about the programming history and data collected as a means of investigating warranty claims. A vehicle or dealer has frequent warranty claims - Ford sends a rep in to evaluate the claim(s). It has been in use since at least 2013 and the only known way to avoid the collection of data is a new PCM. Supposedly within 4 years they will be able to "look" at the data via wifi at any time they want as well as make updates to the PCM. Similar to what Tesla already does.

Member #
    Liked
    982 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsrunnlus View Post
    The average tech does not have access to it with the basic dealership tools. Ford did develop a method and uses technology from Delphi Diagnostics Auto IQ Service Solutions which reveals significantly more history about the programming history and data collected as a means of investigating warranty claims. A vehicle or dealer has frequent warranty claims - Ford sends a rep in to evaluate the claim(s). It has been in use since at least 2013 and the only known way to avoid the collection of data is a new PCM. Supposedly within 4 years they will be able to "look" at the data via wifi at any time they want as well as make updates to the PCM. Similar to what Tesla already does.
    I know a few techs and yes Ford can send your pcm to the bunny suit guys. (which is pretty rare unless you are flat-out blatantly heavily modded, that's why should always put everything back to stock before bringing in)
    What they look for is how many drive cycles there are since last flash.
    2013 XLT S. Crew cab 4x4
    3.31 Gears
    3" rear blocks

Husky floor liners
    Raptor Grill lights

Member #
    Liked
    982 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokedBologna View Post
    what does that mean exactly?

https://www.google.com/amp/repairpal...rive-cycle.amp

You want at least 10 drive cycles, now if you have a hole through your block obviously that's hard to do... But there are ways around it. Maaaany people have had engines replaced under warranty that have thrown rods that were running tunes
    SmokedBologna likes this.
    2013 XLT S. Crew cab 4x4
    3.31 Gears
    3" rear blocks

Husky floor liners
    Raptor Grill lights

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links