2014 Ram 1500 diesel

This is a discussion on 2014 Ram 1500 diesel within the F150 Ecoboost vs The Competition forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Anyone interested in the new Ram 1500 Diesel? With diesel fuel costing 20% more then regular fuel, I wonder how popular the truck will become? ...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 2014 Ram 1500 diesel

Member #
    Liked
    198 times

2014 Ram 1500 diesel

Anyone interested in the new Ram 1500 Diesel? With diesel fuel costing 20% more then regular fuel, I wonder how popular the truck will become?

For more details, visit our friends @ http://www.ram1500diesel.com

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    With the Diesel Emissons Upcharge of $5k + Unless you drive 80k miles a year and keep the truck for 200k+ miles. There is no way you can come out ahead vs. Ecoboost!

Nobody at Ford will say....But I wonder if the Ecoboost is the Power Stroke JR. they talked about for years and decided to make it a gas engine vs. diesel.
    OxfordFX4 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    It will be interesting to see how the new diesel perform. I don't think it will out pull the EcoBoost looking at the EcoDiesel (which i admit that name bothers me lol) power ratings even if they bump it up... MPG should be higher on the Diesel but like mention the mentioned payoff wont be worth it. I believe Fords response will be to bring the new Smaller Diesel that is going in the new full size van into the 2015 F-150 along with the more refined EcoBoost.
    2012- King Ranch 4x4, SuperCrew 6.5' bed, Max Tow PKG (3.73), 33" Toyo Open Country (10ply/E-rated), Arctic Spray-in bedliner, Boost Bars (Chrome).

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    The only Place the diesel impresses me is the fuel economy when towing. I tow about 20% of the time. It's not worth it. Have you every done an oil change on one? 20-something litres+ urea ++++! no thanks.
    2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost Candy red, Max Tow/Haul 373 rear gear, 6 1/2 box, Luxury Package. 20" wheels,Sunroof and Navigation. Back flip cover, afe stage 2 CAI, 4" heartthrob exhaust. SCT custom programmed,firstone riderite airbags.

Member #
    The 3.0L V6 engine will be made by VM Motori in Italy. This is the same company that made the 4 cylinder Jeep diesels in '05-'06. I have a diesel mechanic friend who worked on some of them, the ones that were worn out in 80,000 miles, to the point that the vehicles were just sent to the junk yard. He described that engine as "junk".
    2013 Supercrew EB XLT, 2WD, 3.55 axle, 9800 lb. tow rating, 7100 lb. GVWR, 1607 lb. payload, 24 mpg hwy, 12.5 mpg towing a Cruiser RV Funfinder Xtra XT245 toy hauler.

Member #
    it gets you out of ethanol!
    Ford had the opportunity to bring their 3.0liter diesel in the Ranger to try the waters. instead they are offering it in the Transit, which I don't care about.

Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Was going to buy a diesel until I found the Ecoboost AND changed jobs to a location only 5 miles from home. Also thought about 12-20 quart oil changes, the dreaded diesel fluid and all that other junk. Just wasn't worth it.

Have always liked the thought of producing a diesel/electric truck system similar to a locomotive. For their size and weight they are unbelivably efficient! Would use a small diesel engine driving a high current generator feeding traction motors at each wheel. All wheel drive, no binding issues and a traction control system could be used to reduce current output to low traction wheels.

Did discuss this with a racing buddy at GM (They designed the original system) who all but said they were looking at how to bring the cost of such system down to market friendly levels. A system like that could run anything from our stuff to Class 8 semi trucks and Class A motor homes. Talk about torque!
    Last edited by Mike Tritle; 05-28-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tritle View Post
    Was going to buy a diesel until I found the Ecoboost AND changed jobs to a location only 5 miles from home. Also thought about 12-20 quart oil changes, the dreaded diesel fluid and all that other junk. Just wasn't worth it.
    2014 Ram 1500 diesel takes 8 quarts of oil every 10,000 miles. Diesel exhaust fluid is supposed to last for 10,000 miles also.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fx4 4fun View Post
    The only Place the diesel impresses me is the fuel economy when towing. I tow about 20% of the time. It's not worth it. Have you every done an oil change on one? 20-something litres+ urea ++++! no thanks.
    I've towed with many diesel pickups. The last was a Chevy Duramax which I liked.... but they do not get much better mileage, and diesel costs more per gallon which makes the cost per mile about the same! The Duramax got 22 MPG on the highway when not towing.

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    does anyone know if the eco diesel will be required to have a dpf or to use def
    Last edited by curtis249; 08-31-2013 at 06:15 AM.
    2013 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecoboost XLT Super Crew 145 wheel base Oxford white Silver Two Tone
    Mods: 2.5 Rough Country Leveling kit, , LED tail lights, LED Third Brake Ligh, 18inch Xd series crank wheels

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Links