My (Never Ending) Build Thread - Page 330

My (Never Ending) Build Thread

This is a discussion on My (Never Ending) Build Thread within the F150 Ecoboost Builds forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Originally Posted by Blown F-150 I'm also VERY familiar with Nikasil Plating. It just doesn't hold up in the long run. I'll see if I ...

Page 330 of 331 FirstFirst ... 230280320328329330331 LastLast
Results 3,291 to 3,300 of 3307
Like Tree2284Likes

Thread: My (Never Ending) Build Thread

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    4037 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown F-150 View Post
    I'm also VERY familiar with Nikasil Plating. It just doesn't hold up in the long run. I'll see if I can dig it up, but some shop did some experimenting and found that the coating would have to be 4x thicker in a auto application to meet long-term reliability needs.

Really, I think it all comes down to cost vs. reward. Steel sleeves don't shed heat as fast as a coating, but are very easy to keep in spec and and cheap to use.
    We generally remove Nikasil and install iron sleeves. Better ring selections as well as the items you mention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Blown F-150 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    575 times
    as far as I know, Nikasil coatings started out in the 2 stroke community. I'm not sure how well they seal with pressure. Or longevity.
    RMB_Ryan and snakebitten like this.

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    According to Wiki, cylinder coatings have been in use since the 70's and several automotive companies still do it. Namely Porsche and BMW.
    Fords Voodoo line of engines have a coated aluminum cylinder.
    Blown F-150 and RMB_Ryan like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    4037 times

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3206 times
    Unbelievably cool.

So a Chinese economy car will be pneumatic before some First World luxury car is?

Are there any production cars that I've heard of running pneumatic valves?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    1214 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
    According to Wiki, cylinder coatings have been in use since the 70's and several automotive companies still do it. Namely Porsche and BMW.
    Fords Voodoo line of engines have a coated aluminum cylinder.
    What article is this? Ford is doing everything spray liner EXCEPT ecoboost, we still have sleeves, ya! But Ford has a patient on the way they spray the liner, which apparently a few manufactures have then used using Ford tech, like I believe Nissian on GTR etc.

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...e-of-the-year/

"Block
    The reinforced aluminum block has the same bore spacing and deck height as the 5.0, but 94-by-93-millimeter bore-and-stroke dimensions yield 5163 cubic centimeters (or 315 cubic inches) of displacement. Voodoo’s larger bores necessitate plasma-transferred wire-arc cylinder surfaces instead of Coyote’s iron liners."

Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mmateri View Post
    as far as I know, Nikasil coatings started out in the 2 stroke community. I'm not sure how well they seal with pressure. Or longevity.
    I know the plating is much harder than the rings and if you are not careful and put to much of a hone in the Nikasil you will prematurely wear down your rings. Even recommend to not hone at home now because standard hones are not fine enough and need high end diamond hones to do it properly. If there is no scores, out of spec, or damage to the plating, it is better to just don't touch the plating at all. At least that is how I do it. Another benefit to the Nikasil is that it is porous and doesn't really need much of a hone at all to hold the oil on the wall and reduce friction. Almost mirror like finished is preferred by some.
    5Star Tune: 87 Perf/Tow, 91 Perf/Tow and 91 Perf; 1000 lbs SumoSprings; KO2 Tires; K&N filter replacement; BOV mod; SOLO MACH-46 4" Cat-Back; Febreeze new car scent air freshener

Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB_Ryan View Post
    We generally remove Nikasil and install iron sleeves. Better ring selections as well as the items you mention.

What engines do you remove the Nikasil on? From my research it seems to be pretty uncommon, but I obviously do not touch and see the amount of engines that you do.

P.S. in no way or form am I arguing with you. Just curious what there is out there.
    RMB_Ryan likes this.
    5Star Tune: 87 Perf/Tow, 91 Perf/Tow and 91 Perf; 1000 lbs SumoSprings; KO2 Tires; K&N filter replacement; BOV mod; SOLO MACH-46 4" Cat-Back; Febreeze new car scent air freshener

Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB_Ryan View Post

I have always thought one of the next big thing for engines is valve-train that was completely configurable by the computer. Be it pneumatic or solenoid or what have you. To have the complete control over what your valves are doing by modifying the software is unreal. I also wonder how much power one actually loses spinning cams and compressing valve springs. To go from a tame cam for economy to full out butt tearing-spleen twisting power cam profile by just putting the pedal a little closer to the floor would be nuts. That'd be like VTEC goes BWAAHHH times 1000.

Sponsored Links