Tailgate Wars is heating up

This is a discussion on Tailgate Wars is heating up within the Off-Topic forums, part of the Ford F150 Ecoboost category; The Ford F250 was the first truck that I can remember having a "multi-funtion" tailgate with the hidden deployable step and rail . Then it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Tailgate Wars is heating up

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3148 times

The Ford F250 was the first truck that I can remember having a "multi-funtion" tailgate with the hidden deployable step and rail . Then it got incorporated into the F150's. Chevy even rolled out a commercial that ridiculed Ford for their "Man Step". Fast forward a few years and now Chevy and Honda have their own versions of multi-function/muti-opening tailgates and Dodge is soon to join the club when they release their barn-door styled tailgate option later this year. The traditionally boring tailgate has now become the focal point for sales and everybody is trying to cash in on it....but once again, Ford was the one to lead the way and begin the competition for the others to try and chase.

-Clark

2013 Ingot Silver SuperCrew XLT - Texas Edition, 3.5L EcoBoost, 3.31 e-locker, AEM drop-in filter, Self-fabricated grill insert, AVS low-profile vent shades, Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70/18, BakFlip G2 tri-fold bed cover

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3234 times
    I'll go first.

First, and although admittedly biased, Ford wins hands down in aesthetics. The 15+ Aluminum tailgate is only bested by the 11-14 tailgate.

There, I said it. Yea, you previous Gen guys have the nicer truck-butt. (But the Aluminum guys have that gorgeous face. IF you get the right grille, of course. But there's enough choices for everyone)

My problem with the Ram and Chevy isn't the function. I'd not complain everytime the added function came into play. But I'm not sure I would ever be happy about the added seams/gaps in the tailgate. Especially the Ram since it is asymmetrical! Although I'm not OCD, that would absolutely drive some folks coocoo.

Honda has me miffed! I love their method for traditional use and added barn door feature. Clean and simple. But oh how I would love that lockable trunk! I want it! That's fantastic.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3618 times
    I would love to have a gate like that on the Ram!

2016 2.7 4x4 screw

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I just wish my 2015 had a way to lock it down rigid so it didn't bounce over bumps when having to drive with it down. Even when I had lumber on it and tied it down it bounced.

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    I purposely ordered my 2014 with a plain tailgate. Nothing wrong with the step, mind you. I just wanted a basic tailgate.

That said, the more I look at those multifunction ones from GM, all I can think of is hauling a load of gravel and what happens when a rock gets in the mechanism. And as for the Ram, the asymmetry would drive me insane.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    the only complaint i have about the GM tailgate is that at the autoshow they said when the step is down, it's only rated for like 300 or 350lbs. I am a bigger guy, and if i had that tailgate with a bag of quickcrete or a bungle of shingles on my shoulder, i would be over that limit instantly.

Also living in michigan, i would love to see how these tailgates hold up with all these seams after a few winters or muck and salt.

i had my F150 in for warranty work a couple months ago and got a brand new explorer to drive. Hated every second of it, however it had a feature that i am pretty sure hasn't hit the truck market yet. And that's the spray nozzle to clean the backup camera off

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billjc View Post
    I purposely ordered my 2014 with a plain tailgate. Nothing wrong with the step, mind you. I just wanted a basic tailgate.

That said, the more I look at those multifunction ones from GM, all I can think of is hauling a load of gravel and what happens when a rock gets in the mechanism. And as for the Ram, the asymmetry would drive me insane.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Totally agree on both points.
    I will go one further and say that I actually look forward to seeing how many of the GMC's will begin showing up with perfectly centered dents on that pretty new multi-function tailgate, because they pressed the wrong button and unfolded it while still having their trailer ball hitch inserted into the receiver.
    -Clark

2013 Ingot Silver SuperCrew XLT - Texas Edition, 3.5L EcoBoost, 3.31 e-locker, AEM drop-in filter, Self-fabricated grill insert, AVS low-profile vent shades, Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70/18, BakFlip G2 tri-fold bed cover

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3316 times
    Chevy tailgate:

#1 - It is uglier than **** when it is up. I see a few of the newer chevy's driving around here with that tailgate and it just looks god awful

#2 - If you have a hitch in the receiver and lower the tailgate, then lower the "woman step" it will hit the ball/hitch.

And for those of you that don't remember....

I find it funny that Chevy and Fiat are always comparing themselves to Ford...they never compare themselves to each other. Let that sink in.
    Elmore328 and Blown F-150 like this.
    2018 Magnetic Metallic 2.7 Ecoboost XLT Sport
    2013 Oxford White EcoBoost FX4 - Gone

Quote Originally Posted by noodles
    Sometimes, a fool should trust what the wise say, instead of coming out yelling Totally Not True... because you couldn't find it on google. The wise usually know what they are talking about, because of either hands on experience, or maybe they've just been around long enough to know what's what.

Check out the following threads for most of the questions regarding the F150 Ecoboost:
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...11-2014-a.html
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...ts-2015-a.html

New Members, please read through this thread for all the Rules for .Net
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/3...uidelines.html

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by milesej05 View Post

I find it funny that Chevy and Fiat are always comparing themselves to Ford...they never compare themselves to each other. Let that sink in.
    AMEN!!! Preach it Brother Eric!!!!

milesej05 likes this.
    -Clark

Member #
    Liked
    892 times
    GM makes some of the lamest commercials. They compare a man step to a warranty. To make more sense why didn’t they compare warranty against warranty.
    milesej05 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links