Saving for kid's college, questions - Page 3

Saving for kid's college, questions

This is a discussion on Saving for kid's college, questions within the Off-Topic forums, part of the Ford F150 Ecoboost category; This is kind of rambly so sorry. This was just me but I was only able to take one or two classes via true community ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Saving for kid's college, questions

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    This is kind of rambly so sorry.

This was just me but I was only able to take one or two classes via true community college. I started College as a sophomore due to dual enrollment during high school. They work out about as expensive as Community college and to me the time value was worth it.

I think the thing people get caught up on the most is ~PRESTIGE~ I knew a girl that decided that she wanted to become an elementary education major. Nothing wrong with that its a good job we need BUT she decided she needed to go to vanderbilt university Again nothing wrong with that its a great school.

The issue is that she is (like me) from Kansas. Out of state tuition per year there is $45,000+ a year and she was paying through loans. It is going to take forever to pay down that $180,000 of loans. For a bachelors degree that will be worth no more than any other accredited 4 year school (especially around here).

I was never smart enough to look at places like that but my 32 on the ACT and high school grades did save me money instead.

I doubt any of this will be helpful but maybe
    snakebitten likes this.
    2011 F-150 xlt SuperCrew 4X4 3.55

Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SENDIT View Post
    This is kind of rambly so sorry.

This was just me but I was only able to take one or two classes via true community college. I started College as a sophomore due to dual enrollment during high school. They work out about as expensive as Community college and to me the time value was worth it.

I think the thing people get caught up on the most is ~PRESTIGE~ I knew a girl that decided that she wanted to become an elementary education major. Nothing wrong with that its a good job we need BUT she decided she needed to go to vanderbilt university Again nothing wrong with that its a great school.

The issue is that she is (like me) from Kansas. Out of state tuition per year there is $45,000+ a year and she was paying through loans. It is going to take forever to pay down that $180,000 of loans. For a bachelors degree that will be worth no more than any other accredited 4 year school (especially around here).

I was never smart enough to look at places like that but my 32 on the ACT and high school grades did save me money instead.

I doubt any of this will be helpful but maybe
    No, I think you bring up a great point. IMO, what you're paying for with more expensive schools is the professional network. It's the contacts. Unless you're talking ivy league schools which carry weight no matter what, even with strangers who have no professional association to the school. Is the education any better at a more expensive school? Perhaps? Different? Certainly. The whole experience is probably different because there's more money for clubs, events, better sports programs, etc. The difference is also in the culture of the school. Is it a "commuter school"? where there's less people around after class? Is there a strong sorority or fraternity population? Is there a strong sports program? etc.

I have however, rarely seen this work against someone. Where a Stanford graduate was not hired because the hiring manager felt the coursework was too "academic" and there wasn't enough practical laboratory coursework. Sometimes "book smart" does not translate into "common sense".

A lot of schools like to tout their graduates and where they place in careers. It's almost as though you're paying for a better guarantee of landing a career job. Sort of depressing for the middle class, because the latest college admission scandal revealed that those schools are influenced by "pay to play". Something the middle class can no longer really afford. Who has an extra 500K laying around just to GET INTO an ivy league school, let alone room, board and admissions?
    SENDIT likes this.
    2012 SCREW Eco FX4 Tuxedo Black, Fully loaded, Max Tow, 3.73 rear.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Firestone Air bags.

Member #
    Liked
    2515 times
    And the single-most-important point to make on the topic: if you're going to get a degree, get one that actually matters!! No gender studies, liberal arts crap that won't get you a job anywhere except as a grunt at HuffingtonPost.

Second-most-important: what do you want to be when you grow up? I can't tell you how many young people I talk to that are headed into college and they have ZERO idea what the want to do when they graduate. But they're staring down the barrel of a Construction Management degree because their mom knows they liked to build LEGO when they were a kid so, why not? Hell, I know 40+ year old men that still have no clue what they want to be when they grow up, bouncing from job to job to job and wondering why they're still making the same money they were 20 years ago and further in debt to boot.
    Last edited by Chris H; 05-14-2019 at 10:28 AM.
    2011 F150 Platinum screw 2WD 6.5' bed, 3.73 Max Tow pkg | Full Race FMIC | EPP catted downpipe | PowerStop Extreme | OEM Harley front end | Belltech 3/4 drop | Black Rhino Traverse 22" | built motor & EFR's coming soon...
    2018 Ford Transit XLT 12 passenger van 3.5 EB | stock for now...
    1992 Mustang 5.0 coupe bolt-on play thing.
    1964 1/2 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car - OEM replica, collector car toy

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    And the single-most-important point to make on the topic: if you're going to get a degree, get one that actually matters!! No gender studies, liberal arts crap that won't get you a job anywhere except as a grunt at HuffingtonPost.

Second-most-important: what do you want to be when you grow up? I can't tell you how many young people I talk to that are headed into college and they have ZERO idea what the want to do when they graduate. But they're staring down the barrel of a Construction Management degree because their mom knows they liked to build LEGO when they were a kid so, why not? Hell, I know 40+ year old men that still have no clue what they want to be when they grow up, bouncing from job to job to job and wondering why they're still making the same money they were 20 years ago and further in debt to boot.
    Thats a great point but I'd add one more part to it;

WHERE do you want to be. I know a guy that got a petrolium engineering degree with some weird specification (not sure) because it would make money. What he didnt realize was that all the jobs in that area are gonna put him in the oil fields. While that sounds perfect to me he's more of a "social butterfly" type that considers manual labor to be hanging clothes at Old Navy so the oil fields would be a real kick in the balls for him.

Hes now taking a job that has nothing to do with petrolium
    2011 F-150 xlt SuperCrew 4X4 3.55

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post

I agree to a point. I'm more of the "It's not what you have but what you do with it boat" I went to school to get a CIS degree because literally me and my mom decided I liked video games. Other than that we had no real direction. I am the first generation to go to school so we had zero idea what we were doing and couldn't find any resources to help us out. After I graduated I had no idea what I wanted to do so I started to work hard and by the time I was 28 I was making above 6 figures. I can't say or not say college helped but I can say me taking every opportunity to learn and push myself helped. I know guys who make more with no degree.
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    As a recent college graduate I thought I’d chime in on my experience.
    I was lucky enough to have my dad help me get through college debt free. The rules were
    1. Get good grades, anything less than a 3.0 and I’d be on my own
    2. Get a degree that actually matters. I know many people who got absolutely useless degrees (we all know what they are) that still can’t find a job in their field of study and it’s been 2 years since graduation.
    I worked my tail off and got on the deans list every semester, while still being able to enjoy my time at college.
    Every summer I got internships, I’d work for 3 to 3.5 months and make around $15k, which I used to pay for my apt and expenses, and anything remaining I used towards my tuition.
    In total it costed my dad ~2.5k a semester, so ~5K a year, so about $20k total. I’m very lucky he was there to cover the amount I couldn’t. Because I didn’t have to work during the school year, I was able to make good grades, which got me good paying internships, which allowed me to pay for most of my school, and finish my civil engineering degree with 3 minors, Spanish, Business, and Mathematics. Now it is still possible to do what I did while working during the school year, but it makes it A LOT harder.
    Immediately after graduating I got a job offer for $90,000/year+ bonus at the end of the year. Within 6 months of working there I was able to pay my dad back everything he spent for my education, which he didn’t know I was going to do.
    When I have kids of my own, if they choose to go to college I will definitely make sure they get out debt free.
    I think of college as an investment, and as long as they go into a good field of study it will be a very rewarding investment.
    Side note: I was never the smart kid in high school, I graduated with barely a 3.0, but I knew that in college you get out what you put in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2515 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Envious View Post
    I agree to a point. I'm more of the "It's not what you have but what you do with it boat" I went to school to get a CIS degree because literally me and my mom decided I liked video games. Other than that we had no real direction. I am the first generation to go to school so we had zero idea what we were doing and couldn't find any resources to help us out. After I graduated I had no idea what I wanted to do so I started to work hard and by the time I was 28 I was making above 6 figures. I can't say or not say college helped but I can say me taking every opportunity to learn and push myself helped. I know guys who make more with no degree.
    I don't know what CIS stands for, other than the cis-gender stuff I have no clue about.

Are you using the degree? I'll go on record and say my job now is tremendously easier because of my stint in architecture (learning to manage projects and, more importantly, effectively lead people), so I'm benefitting from my degree at least to a small extent.

My parents both took some college courses but nothing significant. I was and still am the only one in my family with a 4 year degree. I received zero "real life" advice from my parents in regards to 'work'. It was the same old go to school and get a job idea. Work for the man.
    2011 F150 Platinum screw 2WD 6.5' bed, 3.73 Max Tow pkg | Full Race FMIC | EPP catted downpipe | PowerStop Extreme | OEM Harley front end | Belltech 3/4 drop | Black Rhino Traverse 22" | built motor & EFR's coming soon...

Member #
    Liked
    2515 times
    Quote Originally Posted by david3.5 View Post
    As a recent college graduate I thought I’d chime in on my experience.
    I was lucky enough to have my dad help me get through college debt free. The rules were
    1. Get good grades, anything less than a 3.0 and I’d be on my own
    2. Get a degree that actually matters. I know many people who got absolutely useless degrees (we all know what they are) that still can’t find a job in their field of study and it’s been 2 years since graduation.
    I worked my tail off and got on the deans list every semester, while still being able to enjoy my time at college.
    Every summer I got internships, I’d work for 3 to 3.5 months and make around $15k, which I used to pay for my apt and expenses, and anything remaining I used towards my tuition.
    In total it costed my dad ~2.5k a semester, so ~5K a year, so about $20k total. I’m very lucky he was there to cover the amount I couldn’t. Because I didn’t have to work during the school year, I was able to make good grades, which got me good paying internships, which allowed me to pay for most of my school, and finish my civil engineering degree with 3 minors, Spanish, Business, and Mathematics. Now it is still possible to do what I did while working during the school year, but it makes it A LOT harder.
    Immediately after graduating I got a job offer for $90,000/year+ bonus at the end of the year. Within 6 months of working there I was able to pay my dad back everything he spent for my education, which he didn’t know I was going to do.
    When I have kids of my own, if they choose to go to college I will definitely make sure they get out debt free.
    I think of college as an investment, and as long as they go into a good field of study it will be a very rewarding investment.
    Side note: I was never the smart kid in high school, I graduated with barely a 3.0, but I knew that in college you get out what you put in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was making an astonishing $40k per year when I graduated with a 4 year Bachelors. You can make good money in Architecture but not until you've served your time and worked your way up.

Member #
    Liked
    1708 times
    We're doing iras, savings and
    UTMA/UGMA accounts for our daughter, my wife is big on college/education. I've only done a few college classes myself but she graduated with Masters and bachelors and all that, I can't remember all the names, and she makes a
    sh!t ton of money so I just go along with what her and our financial advisor suggested.

Like a few others in here though our daughter will definitely be working as well however much she can to pay for her expenses.

My wife is 40 and I am 46 and our daughter is just about to turn three so we are starting a little late in the game thus the reason for going more aggressive.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Traded the old 2013 XLT S. Crew cab 4x4 on its 4the engine
    For a 2017 crew cab sport stx 2.7 and couldn't be happier

Member #
    Liked
    1087 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DNA Dan View Post
    No, I think you bring up a great point. IMO, what you're paying for with more expensive schools is the professional network. It's the contacts. Unless you're talking ivy league schools which carry weight no matter what, even with strangers who have no professional association to the school. Is the education any better at a more expensive school? Perhaps? Different? Certainly. The whole experience is probably different because there's more money for clubs, events, better sports programs, etc. The difference is also in the culture of the school. Is it a "commuter school"? where there's less people around after class? Is there a strong sorority or fraternity population? Is there a strong sports program? etc.

I have however, rarely seen this work against someone. Where a Stanford graduate was not hired because the hiring manager felt the coursework was too "academic" and there wasn't enough practical laboratory coursework. Sometimes "book smart" does not translate into "common sense".

A lot of schools like to tout their graduates and where they place in careers. It's almost as though you're paying for a better guarantee of landing a career job. Sort of depressing for the middle class, because the latest college admission scandal revealed that those schools are influenced by "pay to play". Something the middle class can no longer really afford. Who has an extra 500K laying around just to GET INTO an ivy league school, let alone room, board and admissions?
    I can relate to this experience. I went to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute but was also accepted to UMass Amherst(and other schools). I chose RPI because of the name and because they had given me enough of a scholarship that the price was not a crazy amount more expensive.

Looking back, I think I would have gotten a better education and experience going to UMass. A lot of my professors at RPI barely spoke English and were more interested in their careers as researchers than teaching students. That said, I don't think having the RPI degree hurt me at all(probably helped) once I graduated. I have been with the same company for 9 years since graduating so the school is almost irrelevant at this point but it got me on my feet.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links