Saving for kid's college, questions - Page 4

Saving for kid's college, questions

This is a discussion on Saving for kid's college, questions within the Off-Topic forums, part of the Ford F150 Ecoboost category; Originally Posted by david3.5 As a recent college graduate I thought I’d chime in on my experience. I was lucky enough to have my dad ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Saving for kid's college, questions

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3079 times
    Quote Originally Posted by david3.5 View Post
    As a recent college graduate I thought I’d chime in on my experience.
    I was lucky enough to have my dad help me get through college debt free. The rules were
    1. Get good grades, anything less than a 3.0 and I’d be on my own
    2. Get a degree that actually matters. I know many people who got absolutely useless degrees (we all know what they are) that still can’t find a job in their field of study and it’s been 2 years since graduation.
    I worked my tail off and got on the deans list every semester, while still being able to enjoy my time at college.
    Every summer I got internships, I’d work for 3 to 3.5 months and make around $15k, which I used to pay for my apt and expenses, and anything remaining I used towards my tuition.
    In total it costed my dad ~2.5k a semester, so ~5K a year, so about $20k total. I’m very lucky he was there to cover the amount I couldn’t. Because I didn’t have to work during the school year, I was able to make good grades, which got me good paying internships, which allowed me to pay for most of my school, and finish my civil engineering degree with 3 minors, Spanish, Business, and Mathematics. Now it is still possible to do what I did while working during the school year, but it makes it A LOT harder.
    Immediately after graduating I got a job offer for $90,000/year+ bonus at the end of the year. Within 6 months of working there I was able to pay my dad back everything he spent for my education, which he didn’t know I was going to do.
    When I have kids of my own, if they choose to go to college I will definitely make sure they get out debt free.
    I think of college as an investment, and as long as they go into a good field of study it will be a very rewarding investment.
    Side note: I was never the smart kid in high school, I graduated with barely a 3.0, but I knew that in college you get out what you put in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You pretty much mirrored my experience with ONE of my sons. (as I stated above)

It was YOUR efforts that played the biggest role on the outcome of debt, post-graduation.

Had you not met your dad's expectations, things could have gone very differently, economically speaking. I even contend that your dad's assistance was more dollar$ than what landed on the ledger. Without that help, the additional effort required by you to make things up could have impacted the other good fortune your focused effort afforded you.

I guess what I'm saying as a parent is that a single strategy on my part isn't the deciding factor on college debt for my child. Each one will be deciding, based on their own actions, how much debt they may or may not incurr.

Besides, the world needs plumbers, electricians, and carpenters. I fed my family as a carpenter up until the time computer technology arrived mainstream. I never planned the career change. Nor did I enter the field via the traditional route.

The template for getting a degree and entering a life long career is necessary to exist. But it's far from etched in stone that it's required or even a guarantee to deliver.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    You pretty much mirrored my experience with ONE of my sons. (as I stated above)

It was YOUR efforts that played the biggest role on the outcome of debt, post-graduation.

Had you not met your dad's expectations, things could have gone very differently, economically speaking. I even contend that your dad's assistance was more dollar$ than what landed on the ledger. Without that help, the additional effort required by you to make things up could have impacted the other good fortune your focused effort afforded you.

I guess what I'm saying as a parent is that a single strategy on my part isn't the deciding factor on college debt for my child. Each one will be deciding, based on their own actions, how much debt they may or may not incurr.

This is VERY true. I have a twin brother, we started college at the same time, but he took a year longer to finish his degree. Never worked during the summer, worked one semester during school but had to stop because grades got even worse than what they already were. He is my dads “favorite” so he was much more lenient about the good grades rule. He majored in finance and just recently found an ok job making $45k/year at a bank. Even though we’re twins it’s crazy how different we are.

It’s all up to the individual and what they do with what they’re given. I know people who were given everything, excelled in school, and now have a great career. And I know people who got everything, but made poor choices, either dropped out or got some stupid degree and are currently still living with their parents.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3079 times
    Quote Originally Posted by david3.5 View Post
    This is VERY true. I have a twin brother, we started college at the same time, but he took a year longer to finish his degree. Never worked during the summer, worked one semester during school but had to stop because grades got even worse than what they already were. He is my dads “favorite” so he was much more lenient about the good grades rule. He majored in finance and just recently found an ok job making $45k/year at a bank. Even though we’re twins it’s crazy how different we are.

It’s all up to the individual and what they do with what they’re given. I know people who were given everything, excelled in school, and now have a great career. And I know people who got everything, but made poor choices, either dropped out or got some stupid degree and are currently still living with their parents.

Couldn't have made the point any better.

Thanks for posting your story and viewpoint here. In my opinion "the student" (our kids) call most of the shots.

Oh, and although I'm good with you thinking so, I'm NOT so sure your brother was dad's favorite. (hard to explain if you aren't a dad yet lol)

2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    746 times
    I have no magic formula to answer this question. My 3 children worked hard in high school to keep 4.0 GPA’s, they got good SAT scores, they all worked both during high school (summers, week ends) and through college. They all attended a church school (BYU) which made costs more reasonable. 2 of them lived at home for their first couple of years of college. They all worked hard for some type of scholarship. We helped with the rest.

It’s one of the family accomplishments that I’m truly proud of. None of my kids had any debt when they graduated college. We built our home and paid cash for it, we own our vehicles and carry zero debt beyond monthly utilities. We didn’t have elaborate vacations and I could have perhaps done better here, my kids take them now and that tells me something. I tried to teach them about interest and all of them could tell you this phrase, those that understand interest earn it, those that don’t pay it. They’re all employed, contributing members of society, they’re good kids. I am beyond blessed.
    Last edited by GearHead_1; 05-14-2019 at 06:08 PM.
    winchested, snakebitten and Mr B like this.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3079 times
    F A M I L Y

I bow, GearHead.

In an upside down crazy world, it is always redeeming to come across a bit of..... ummmm...... Upside right?

GearHead_1 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    746 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    F A M I L Y

I bow, GearHead.

In an upside down crazy world, it is always redeeming to come across a bit of..... ummmm...... Upside right?

Perhaps more importantly and assuming I have my priorities in order. My wife and I have been married 35 years. And to my knowledge I don’t think either of us are planning on going anywhere without the other. I definitely married over my head. As I said previously, I’m beyond blessed.
    snakebitten likes this.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Gold Supporting Member Blown F-150's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    1045 times
    One thing I’m very thankful for up here is the tuition prices. My wife was in University for a total of 13 years and we made it through debt free. I made decent money and she worked her but off to get scholarships and work at the Universities.

Her tuition varied, but I don’t think we had to pay more than $12k for one year.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I have no magic formula to answer this question. My 3 children worked hard in high school to keep 4.0 GPA’s, they got good SAT scores, they all worked both during high school (summers, week ends) and through college. They all attended a church school (BYU) which made costs more reasonable. 2 of them lived at home for their first couple of years of college. They all worked hard for some type of scholarship. We helped with the rest.

It’s one of the family accomplishments that I’m truly proud of. None of my kids had any debt when they graduated college. We built our home and paid cash for it, we own our vehicles and carry zero debt beyond monthly utilities. We didn’t have elaborate vacations and I could have perhaps done better here, my kids take them now and that tells me something. I tried to teach them about interest and all of them could tell you this phrase, those that understand interest earn it, those that don’t pay it. They’re all employed, contributing members of society, they’re good kids. I am beyond blessed.
    that is awesome. - this sounds like advice you'd hear from Dave Ramsey
    snakebitten likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    421 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    I don't know what CIS stands for, other than the cis-gender stuff I have no clue about.

Are you using the degree? I'll go on record and say my job now is tremendously easier because of my stint in architecture (learning to manage projects and, more importantly, effectively lead people), so I'm benefitting from my degree at least to a small extent.

My parents both took some college courses but nothing significant. I was and still am the only one in my family with a 4 year degree. I received zero "real life" advice from my parents in regards to 'work'. It was the same old go to school and get a job idea. Work for the man.
    Oh man im sorry. It is Computer information systems the cis gender thing made me laugh though. To be fair. NO. I am not using my degree in a sense. It is an odd thing as I can't speak for everyone. I got my degree and it really did nothing to help me with actual work. Just to get me in the door. I am an infrastructure analyst for an oil and gas company. So I am within bounds of my degree but college did not actually prepare me for any real work. If anything, it just taught technical problem solving. If that. The real work and learning was after I graduated and really started to work. I know kids who got a 4.0 and had internships every year and are still stuck in help desk making $15/hr. I had zero real experience until I got my first job. Started at $13/hr then 3 months later got a new job for $20/hr and rinse and repeat.
    snakebitten likes this.
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Hell - if any college prepared anyone for a job they would teach the following:

- How to deal with lazy people.
    - How to deal with narcissists.
    - How to avoid high-school drama.
    - How to kiss-ass.
    - How to supervise children.

As technical and "high tech" my job is, very rarely do I have to calculate how many picomoles of DNA I need to add to my adapter ligation. Sadly it's less science and more office drama/posturing.
    2012 SCREW Eco FX4 Tuxedo Black, Fully loaded, Max Tow, 3.73 rear.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Firestone Air bags.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links