Saving for kid's college, questions

This is a discussion on Saving for kid's college, questions within the Off-Topic forums, part of the Ford F150 Ecoboost category; Before we start, I know I am not SUPPOSED to risk my retirement and help pay for college, but having been there and having a ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Saving for kid's college, questions

Member #
    Liked
    1087 times

Before we start, I know I am not SUPPOSED to risk my retirement and help pay for college, but having been there and having a wife who graduated with an absolutely heinous amount of debt(which she has done an amazing job of paying off as fast as possible btw,) we want to help out a bit so they aren't graduating and looking at 10-20 years of financial burden like we did. Our plan is to set a cap on what we will provide, or possibly tell them they can go to an in-state school and we will pay, whatever they spend above and beyond that is on them. My son is currently 2 and I am 30 to give you an idea of where we are at.

Now with that out of the way, what are the best approaches to take? I have already started a 529 plan and am contributing a little each month as well as putting in any gifts from family and friends.

One thing that came up recently when talking to a coworker, whose kids are just starting college, was that the financial aid people were looking at anything and everything from savings accounts to 401k's as potential "income" that could be put towards college. WTF, my 401k would count against my child's financial aid? Anyways, he had suggested that I look into "unconventional" methods of saving because of this which got me thinking, is it worth putting my extra income into equity in my home as opposed to dumping extra into 401k's or other accounts they could look at? Not stopping payments altogether, but moving money into other places that are less detrimental.

Just thinking out loud here and looking for feedback from those that might in the middle of dealing with it now.
    Envious likes this.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    This may not be what you're looking for but heres a thought from someone whose getting ready to graduate college debt free.

I was very lucky in that my parents were able/willing to pay for my college in its entirety but that was based on a few ground rules.

I was expected to go to class and get good grades obviously.
    I went to an instate school and busted my ass for scholarships
    I work when I can to cover my own expenses

The biggest thing i can recommend is when they're old enough push them to take AP classes in high school. I am graduating A semester early because of the opportunity to go into school with no general education left to complete requirements. By doing this I am cutting a semester worth of tuition out and beyond that was able to get a 6 month lease so just rent alone (not including utilities) I am saving around $3,000. Add in $70 a month of utilities and a semester of tuition I am able to save thousands of dollars.

Again this may not help but just a thought
    snakebitten likes this.
    2011 F-150 xlt SuperCrew 4X4 3.55

Member #
    Liked
    2515 times
    I have 5 kids. Unless someone plants a money tree in my backyard, my kids will get the same deal I got. You can live at home with zero expenses so long as you're enrolled in school but I'm not paying for your school. And I'd prefer you take summer and winter classes too!

I did community college for a 2 year degree (something like 25% the cost of a state school) and then went to a state school to finish my Architecture degree. It took a while considering I was working most of the time I was in school, but it worked out for me in the end.
    I worked enough to pay for my tuition and graduated without taking one single student loan.

I believe college tuition and student loan lending practices are in need of major reform, but that's not the topic at hand.
    Last edited by Chris H; 05-13-2019 at 12:53 PM.
    snakebitten and milesej05 like this.
    2011 F150 Platinum screw 2WD 6.5' bed, 3.73 Max Tow pkg | Full Race FMIC | EPP catted downpipe | PowerStop Extreme | OEM Harley front end | Belltech 3/4 drop | Black Rhino Traverse 22" | built motor & EFR's coming soon...
    2018 Ford Transit XLT 12 passenger van 3.5 EB | stock for now...
    1992 Mustang 5.0 coupe bolt-on play thing.
    1964 1/2 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car - OEM replica, collector car toy

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I recently went through this with a Financial Adviser. I'm almost in the same situation in the fact that I'm 36, and have a 3 year old that were trying to save for. We were advised to set up a general Brokerage account for his education and just put into what we can now and encourage friends and family to contribute on birthdays and holidays etc. The plan we have is to get ourselves set up with a good budget, and on a good/realistic track for our retirement goal before we start consistently put into our sons education, and as more money gets free'd up by paying off our school loans, cars, and our son out of Daycare and into public school, we can start to contribute to his on a monthly basis. Although honestly I don't know how much we will be able to actually help our son out, b/c my wife went to school late, and I myself am in school now, so we will be paying off our loans for quite some time...sigh...

Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    Just wait until your children reach college age and they have to fill out the FAFSA Financial Aid paperwork (mandatory). The Gov't counts any income, investments, retirement, disability payments and 529s for the potential student AND THE PARENTS...so 99% of the time the student is denied for financial aid. It's a racket.

The only ones that get free education are illegal immigrants and people on welfare.

SAD.

AK4wheeler
    RexEdmonds and milesej05 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    have them join the military.
    snakebitten and RexEdmonds like this.
    5Star Tune: 87 Perf/Tow, 91 Perf/Tow and 91 Perf; 1000 lbs SumoSprings; KO2 Tires; K&N filter replacement; BOV mod; SOLO MACH-46 4" Cat-Back; Febreeze new car scent air freshener

Member #
    Liked
    1087 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SENDIT View Post
    This may not be what you're looking for but heres a thought from someone whose getting ready to graduate college debt free.

I was very lucky in that my parents were able/willing to pay for my college in its entirety but that was based on a few ground rules.

I was expected to go to class and get good grades obviously.
    I went to an instate school and busted my ass for scholarships
    I work when I can to cover my own expenses

The biggest thing i can recommend is when they're old enough push them to take AP classes in high school. I am graduating A semester early because of the opportunity to go into school with no general education left to complete requirements. By doing this I am cutting a semester worth of tuition out and beyond that was able to get a 6 month lease so just rent alone (not including utilities) I am saving around $3,000. Add in $70 a month of utilities and a semester of tuition I am able to save thousands of dollars.

Again this may not help but just a thought
    Agree'd with all of the above. We don't plan on making his life easy, and we want him to know the value of a dollar, but we know how bad it can be if not done right. Luckily my wife and I both make decent money and can not only pay our loans, but we can over pay them 5-10x the minimum payment and still live comfortably. We've been trying to knock them down for the past 8 years. It's just depressing to think of how much it has cost us and where we would be financially if we had just half of what we did.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    I have 5 kids. Unless someone plants a money tree in my backyard, my kids will get the same deal I got. You can live at home with zero expenses so long as you're enrolled in school but I'm not paying for your school. And I'd prefer you take summer and winter classes too!

I did community college for a 2 year degree (something like 25% the cost of a state school) and then went to a state school to finish my Architecture degree. It took a while considering I was working most of the time I was in school, but it worked out for me in the end.
    I worked enough to pay for my tuition and graduated without taking one single student loan.

I believe college tuition and student loan lending practices are in need of major reform, but that's not the topic at hand.
    I went to a well ranked engineering school and a lot of kids did that. They went to the local community college and then came in Junior/Senior year and ended up with the same degree from the same school I got. The whole college thing is ****ing dumb and is absolutely a scam. Unfortunately, my parents(along with a lot of others) were of the mind set that you had to do to a good college to get by in life. I don't think this is true. If in 15 years my son told me he wanted to be an electrician, plumber, welder, etc I would be like, HELL YEAH! No loans and you make bank off all the people who can't do that **** themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by AK4wheeler View Post
    Just wait until your children reach college age and they have to fill out the FAFSA Financial Aid paperwork (mandatory). The Gov't counts any income, investments, retirement, disability payments and 529s for the potential student AND THE PARENTS...so 99% of the time the student is denied for financial aid. It's a racket.

The only ones that get free education are illegal immigrants and people on welfare.

SAD.

AK4wheeler
    It's ridiculous.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3078 times
    Had one graduate with Agricultural degree debt free.

Don't get the wrong idea though, mom & dad (the missus and I) pitched in to avoid student debt, but ONLY because of the amazing efforts of that fine son to do everything HE could first!

He applied for grants and scholarships continuously. It was a continuous effort and he was awarded a little here and a little there. It added up!

He waited tables.

He got D2 football money. (For those that know, you EARN every dollar)

After all that, I'd say we may have thrown in about $1000 a month for the entire 4.5 years. But much of that was also mom & dad rewarding him with fun money and lifestyle bonuses. (The new dorms, Whataburger nights, gas money......)

I'm so proud of the outcome and the team-work that went into the whole thing. But I'll always claim it was HIS dedication that we supported.

Another son attempted to follow in his footsteps. By the end of the second semester he found himself in a much different "business arrangement" with mom-dad subsidies. Lol

He knew why. And he withdrew.

I love that boy just as much. Be he wasn't all in, so neither were we.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Envious and Chris H like this.
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I enrolled in the Florida Pre-Paid program for my kids. Best thing ever for education. Paid over time and my kids get a great education without the burden of a loan. Keep in mind that any government funded student loans can get paid off, if the student elects to work for state or local governments for five years. Something to think about.
    snakebitten likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2515 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
    I went to a well ranked engineering school and a lot of kids did that. They went to the local community college and then came in Junior/Senior year and ended up with the same degree from the same school I got. The whole college thing is ****ing dumb and is absolutely a scam. Unfortunately, my parents(along with a lot of others) were of the mind set that you had to do to a good college to get by in life. I don't think this is true. If in 15 years my son told me he wanted to be an electrician, plumber, welder, etc I would be like, HELL YEAH! No loans and you make bank off all the people who can't do that **** themselves.
    Too many people are too proud to take classes at a Community College. Same credit, different name on the degree. I personally didn't give a hoot.

I'm from the Mike Rowe camp when it comes to college. I agree that it's a complete sham and is not 100% required to make good money, though there are obviously some fields where it's 100% required if you're going to get anywhere. I have an Architecture Degree (4 year Bachelor) and I am a licensed Architect. I worked at a very large firm for 13 years but I left architecture in 2012 to run my own small business (not architecture but still drafting) from home and I fully doubled my income the first year and have since made as much as 5x my best year as an architect. I will never dissuade my kids from college but I will give them a real world view of it all if society still has the same "go to school, go to college, get a job" mentality when they're of age.

PS It takes an act of Congress to edit a post on this forum. You'd think the software would be better than it is. What a joke.
    Last edited by Chris H; 05-13-2019 at 03:01 PM.
    2011 F150 Platinum screw 2WD 6.5' bed, 3.73 Max Tow pkg | Full Race FMIC | EPP catted downpipe | PowerStop Extreme | OEM Harley front end | Belltech 3/4 drop | Black Rhino Traverse 22" | built motor & EFR's coming soon...
    2018 Ford Transit XLT 12 passenger van 3.5 EB | stock for now...
    1992 Mustang 5.0 coupe bolt-on play thing.
    1964 1/2 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car - OEM replica, collector car toy

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links