My latest crackhead idea :)

This is a discussion on My latest crackhead idea :) within the Off-Topic forums, part of the Ford F150 Ecoboost category; Hey guys so I just had my newest dumb Idea and I'm curious what your thoughts would be. The other day I was out with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My latest crackhead idea :)

Member #
    Liked
    46 times

Hey guys so I just had my newest dumb Idea and I'm curious what your thoughts would be.

The other day I was out with my girlfriend (vet med student studying ambulatory equine) and we were checking a pregnant mare that was supposed to give birth two weeks ago (FOAL ALREAD DAMNIT!!!!!) and I was just taking a look at the equipment this place was running.

They had the standard assortment of stuff, A nice New Holland T7-315, muck spreader, bale forks and buckets, trailers and of course some beat to **** old trucks.

For whatever reason I had the thought of putting like a bale bed on an F-150.

Ive come to the conclusion that if my life maintains its current trajectory I will likely need to upsize next time Ibuy a truck but I plan on driving my Ecoboost until beyond when it is worth any money then just treating it as a toy (brush guard, rebuild things as they break even if it doesnt make financial sense, etc etc)

So how much would a light steel or aluminum flatbed have to weigh to not cut into payload too much?

Other than looking goofy and not being quite as useful as a 3/4 or 1 ton flatbed are there any real reasons not to?

I personally prefer steel to aluminum JUST BECAUSE I can mig weld steel for later customizations or repairs easier than figuring out a spool gun or tig welding.

Idk if this would ever even happen but sometimes I have bad ideas that just need sharing lol
    2011 F-150 xlt SuperCrew 4X4 3.55

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    2883 times
    The wife and I in Australia having a look at a small town Ford dealership. In Oz, this would be a full sized pickup and it came from the dealership as a flatbed.

So why not? I think an F150 could be a pretty good slot for something similar. But doesn't really fit our truck culture.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    SENDIT likes this.
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    If you can make the steel flatbed lighter than the standard truck bed, then you would increase your payload capacity.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
    If you can make the steel flatbed lighter than the standard truck bed, then you would increase your payload capacity.
    You think 1/8" C channel for the frame would be strong enough for the frame or would it be better to do something heavier. As far as I can tell its loke 16 ga sheet metal or something in the stock bed.

I'm just not sure yet.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    If you're going to put a flatbed on an F 150 you should consider aluminum instead, steel on a flatbed will be heavier and you will not have much payload left. As many times as I've been to Kansas, more on the southwest portion of the state, find a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a flatbed as they were everywhere and keep your F 150 as it is.
    2014 F 150 Supercab XLT 4wd 3.5 Ecoboost

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    @snakebitten how much did one of those run in the land down under?? $$$$$
    @Bird1 I totally agree that a 3/4 or 1 ton would be a better candidate for a flatbed I was just curious because it seems like a half ton flatbed would be great for light duty livestock work. I'll probably never go beyond this stage its just a neat idea to me.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    2883 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SENDIT View Post
    @snakebitten how much did one of those run in the land down under?? $$$$$
    @Bird1 I totally agree that a 3/4 or 1 ton would be a better candidate for a flatbed I was just curious because it seems like a half ton flatbed would be great for light duty livestock work. I'll probably never go beyond this stage its just a neat idea to me.
    I can't remember exactly, but I think it was in the low 40's. Keep in mind that's Aus $'s. And it was a small Turbo-diesel.

Believe it or not you could get an F150 there if you were absolutely determined. But they started at $125,000! (Import truck, change to right side driver, and whatever else required to be legal)

They claimed to have sold a few.

2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    I can't remember exactly, but I think it was in the low 40's. Keep in mind that's Aus $'s. And it was a small Turbo-diesel.

Believe it or not you could get an F150 there if you were absolutely determined. But they started at $125,000! (Import truck, change to right side driver, and whatever else required to be legal)

They claimed to have sold a few.

I love my F-150 but $125,000?!?!?!?! holey moley!!!!

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    2883 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SENDIT View Post
    I love my F-150 but $125,000?!?!?!?! holey moley!!!!
    Lol.

You do realize every single day you are likely to be at a traffic stop and one of them invisible SUV's next to you is $125,000?

Nobody thinks those folks are crazy, but think we are if we spend a lot on on ours.

I've made my argument a few times around here for a BMW X5M budget (120-125k)to build an F150 with similar performance, luxury, and handling.

Member #
    Liked
    1017 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    The wife and I in Australia having a look at a small town Ford dealership. In Oz, this would be a full sized pickup and it came from the dealership as a flatbed.

So why not? I think an F150 could be a pretty good slot for something similar. But doesn't really fit our truck culture.

Yeah and they have like 2400 lbs of payload with a diesel. The GVWR's on those in AUS are higher than the F150 here, yet they weigh as much as any mid-sized truck.
    snakebitten likes this.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links