Any miata/v8 miata peeps here?

This is a discussion on Any miata/v8 miata peeps here? within the Off-Topic forums, part of the Ford F150 Ecoboost category; Long story short, getting another subaru is out of the question due to the fact that my daughter wont let me get rid of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Any miata/v8 miata peeps here?

Member #
    Liked
    98 times

Long story short, getting another subaru is out of the question due to the fact that my daughter wont let me get rid of the 91 Miata that her great grandmother left us with prior to going to heaven...... I need a reliable, fun car again and the 100hp Miata is none of that. I mean, it is a pretty fun car to drive but has no AC and having double to triple the hp/tq would make it even better. I've been doing my research and have came to the conclusion that I need to start saving for/lookiing for resouorces, and/or anyone who has done a 302 swap. My thinking was to just get a turn key motor (from where?) and the monster miata V8 kit (MONSTERMIATA.COM). I know im at a ecoboost forum and getting a 2.7 in there would be nice, but im trying to minimize the fabrication and costs down. The guys who sell the V8 install kit also have a Barny style guide that would make it a whole lot easier. The prices for the parts on the list look a little high, but i think it will be a lot easier if i can get the kit in full vs here and there. I know one of yall have done this before, speak up!!! lol
    2016 3.5 EB SCREW | INGOT SILVER | XLT 302A | CHR APPEAR PKG | MAX TOW PKG | 3.55 E-LOCK | 4x4 | WEATHER TECH DIGI FIT | LINEX PREMIUM | UWS LOW PRO | HUSKY WELL LINER | FUEL HOSTAGE III 18X9 | BFG KO2 305 65 18 | BILSTEIN 5100 x4 @ 1.75" | POWERSTOP Z36 KIT X4 | AIRLIFT RIDE CONTROL | UPR DVCC/CSCC | AEM DROP IN

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3058 times
    I'll bite.

You mention reliability and daily driver and air conditioning........

As much as I find a V8 Miata swap appealing as fun, 2 things about it conflicts with your stated desires. Although with enough money you could build the little Frankenstein toy into a reliable daily driver with AC. Lol

But I'm around a lot of Miatas and there are FEW NA and NB's that are still in that kind of working order. Most of which are really still nice because they are low mileage and well taken care of.

Step up to the NC and ND and it is effortless to find examples of a much more modern Miata with the creature comforts that make it a defendable daily driver with extreme reliability. And while "more power" is something I would never poopoo, since I have the disease myself, these newer Miatas with the 155-185HP motors are sitting in cars that barely weigh more than 2000lbs.

Driven with spirit, they are not in anyone's way!

By the way, I love Miatas! It's hard to find a car that has that balance of minimum weight possible, but with the amenities that the spoiled man won't live without. All packaged in a remarkably reliable and relatively inexpensive toy. The BEST thing about them to me is you can literally TOSS them into corners and playfully experience over/understeer at safe speeds. I'm a suspension and handling junkie way more than a 0-60 guy.

Oh, and did I mention you can drop the top in 1.5 seconds while sitting behind the wheel?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    384 times
    You could always throw a hellcat engine in it

The car is appropriately named the “Hellkitty”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2014 Platinum
    3.31 E-Locker
    2.5" Rough Country Level
    22" Lariat Limited Wheels
    285/55R22 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T
    Boost Bars Lower Grille
    VTA mod
    AEM Drop-In Filter
    RX Monster w/ CSS
    Livewire TS w/ Custom tunes
    3" Catless Mak Y-Pipe
    Full 3" Catback Exhaust with Magnaflow #12579
    10" RF P2 w/ ported box
    Full LED Conversion w/ Switchbacks
    Rigid SAE Fog Lights

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1076 times
    snakebitten likes this.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3058 times
    Flying Miata and Goodwin Racing (Brian) are the go-to folks for modding these little go-carts.

As mentioned, mines bone-stock under the hood, but a few wicked enhancements to keeping the contact patch in contact.

Shined it up this morning, but the fingerprints on the lense sullied the sparkle

2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    I'll bite.

You mention reliability and daily driver and air conditioning........

As much as I find a V8 Miata swap appealing as fun, 2 things about it conflicts with your stated desires. Although with enough money you could build the little Frankenstein toy into a reliable daily driver with AC. Lol

But I'm around a lot of Miatas and there are FEW NA and NB's that are still in that kind of working order. Most of which are really still nice because they are low mileage and well taken care of.

Step up to the NC and ND and it is effortless to find examples of a much more modern Miata with the creature comforts that make it a defendable daily driver with extreme reliability. And while "more power" is something I would never poopoo, since I have the disease myself, these newer Miatas with the 155-185HP motors are sitting in cars that barely weigh more than 2000lbs.

Driven with spirit, they are not in anyone's way!

By the way, I love Miatas! It's hard to find a car that has that balance of minimum weight possible, but with the amenities that the spoiled man won't live without. All packaged in a remarkably reliable and relatively inexpensive toy. The BEST thing about them to me is you can literally TOSS them into corners and playfully experience over/understeer at safe speeds. I'm a suspension and handling junkie way more than a 0-60 guy.

Oh, and did I mention you can drop the top in 1.5 seconds while sitting behind the wheel?

The one thing that drives me to wanting another subaru or wanting to keep this NA is that I feel conected to these two cars. Both suck for long distance driving, but feels like a dream when im hitting corners or doing some spirited driving. As far as price and reliability with AC, a brand new 302 should give me the best bang for the buck being that its the cheapest out of all the conversions (13B, K24, LS, etc) and will be perfect amount of power without putting any mods on it outside of bolt ons. Selling the car and stepping up to a newer set up is out of the question, this specific vehicle came from a family member that wanted to keep it int he family with hopes of her great grand kids driving it one day. I have toyed around with the idea of building the block up or swapping it to a newer generation, but for a couple k more, i get the reliability of a brand new engine in stock form with a 302. Other conversions also require a heavy amount of fabrication which I have no experience or can become costly when I have to pay someone esle to do it. If I had the money, I'd say screw it and just go with the and get a Flyin Miata Hubu!!! And yes, Flyin, Goodwin, and Moss are my 3 go to sites for miata parts..... Since I got the car I've got a replacement top, rotors/pads, plugs/wires, master cylinder, break lines, etc. from one of those 3 places. Glad to see another person on here that appreciates the miata, even in stock form!!!
    snakebitten likes this.
    2016 3.5 EB SCREW | INGOT SILVER | XLT 302A | CHR APPEAR PKG | MAX TOW PKG | 3.55 E-LOCK | 4x4 | WEATHER TECH DIGI FIT | LINEX PREMIUM | UWS LOW PRO | HUSKY WELL LINER | FUEL HOSTAGE III 18X9 | BFG KO2 305 65 18 | BILSTEIN 5100 x4 @ 1.75" | POWERSTOP Z36 KIT X4 | AIRLIFT RIDE CONTROL | UPR DVCC/CSCC | AEM DROP IN

Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AllWhiteEco View Post
    You could always throw a hellcat engine in it

The car is appropriately named the “Hellkitty”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Allwhiteeco, its crazy you posted this, about a week ago i saw the video on youtube of this car. This thing is a BEAST!!!

Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    This kit was the first kit that came to mind before looking at conversions. I thought about the civic I bought that costed me double when i decided to put a turbo kit on an old motor. A week after the greddy kit went on I was sending the block to golden eagle to get it bored, sleeved, and fit with cp pistons and manley rods. I have the short nose crank version of the 1.6 that had the most issues. With my luck, I would be driving the car and throw a rod within the 1st 100 miles of driving it on. With my mentality I would end up going the same route i did with the civic and sometime throughout the process I would be like..... Now my block can handle more power....... gt35 and shoot for 500? skip the time and do her right the first time!!! lol

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3058 times
    Well, now that you've responded I can tell you weren't nearly as "flighty" with your considerations as it might have come across.

You've really REALLY been looking into it.

So I'm completely onboard. Lol

I now know you are someone who actually intends to do this right!

And keeping in the family was the best motive you listed. Miatas are amazing cherished memory makers.

PS: Brian at Good-Win got some more of my money today, in fact. I'm going with the front and rear sway bars he recommends and a nice one piece strut tower brace since my GT didn't get one from the factory. My fear is the thing will get TOO tied down and loose some of its low speed playfulness. We'll see.

Last edited by snakebitten; 05-22-2019 at 06:20 PM.
    bn30813 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    i'm deffo not going to make any improvements to stiffin it up yet, the additional roll and slop make up for the lack of power in the 1.6, lol. However, you do have a ND that has a bit more power in stock form so some stiffening may make for better feel and more confidence. And yes, I have thought about this for a looooong time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links