Is an aftermarket Cold Air Intake bad for Turbos over time?

This is a discussion on Is an aftermarket Cold Air Intake bad for Turbos over time? within the F150 Ecoboost Performance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; This morning, a co-worker of mine told me that he decided against a cold air intake for his Turbo Duramax Diesel because over time the ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Is an aftermarket Cold Air Intake bad for Turbos over time?

Member #

This morning, a co-worker of mine told me that he decided against a cold air intake for his Turbo Duramax Diesel because over time the Turbo(s) will be worn due to being "sand blasted". I have not heard this. Curious if anyone had any insight into this, and, for us that have an aftermarket cold air intake (like an AFE Stage 2) installed on our EcoBeasts, should we be worried?

He also told me that an oiled aftermarket air filter was a bad idea as it cloggs your sensor. Should this be addressed as well?
    2011 F150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost- 3:55 Gears, Edge CTS Evolution, AFE Stage 2 Air Intake, Bilstein kit, MBRP Dual Side Cat-Back
    2010 BMW S1000RR

Member #
    Liked
    3642 times
    I'm assuming he means that since the CAI breathes more, it will allow more debris in which could potentially cause the turbos to wear faster. And yes, an improperly (saturated) oiled filter can cause some sensor issues.
    2013 Sterling Gray FX4 157", Appearance Package, Max Tow, 402a, 36 Gallon Tank, 103k miles.
    Mods: S&B intake, FR resonated exhaust, X4 with LET and MPT tunes, auxiliary backup lights.
    In garage: 170* tstat, AEM meth injection, FR CAC ( black anodized, red tial bov, throttle body spacer, meth bung), AMP powered steps, billet badges, aeroforce gauges w/vent pods.

Member #
    Raiderfan I think you are right in what he was saying/thinking. But I do know the Borg-Warners are built to last. So after a duration of 4-5 years maybe one should consider a turbo upgrade if they have a CAI. When I went with my AFE CAI I chose the oiled filters. Perhaps I should switch to dry
    2011 F150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost- 3:55 Gears, Edge CTS Evolution, AFE Stage 2 Air Intake, Bilstein kit, MBRP Dual Side Cat-Back
    2010 BMW S1000RR

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    I had a Powerstroke that I had a CAI on years ago. I had a problem where it wouldn't build boost and ran flat even though I could hear the turbo spinning fast.

I didn't have even 12K miles on it, put it in the shop and upon tearing down the turbo the blades were in fact dusted and one blade was broken way at the edge of a blade. The repair was made out of my wallet not warranty. This service was at a dealership where I had plenty of contact and could have pushed for warranty service. Which would have required having the turbo sent into Ford HQ for inspection and a warranty judgment call. The tech flat told me I would loose the claim from the looks of the blade.

As far as intake design goes, I'll stick with Ford engineers and their OEM design.

Member #
    Liked
    288 times
    It takes alot to over oil a filter. If you do want to switch to dry you can always get the dry filter replacements.
    Bill Lindsay
    Stage 3 Motorsports
    F150 EcoBoost Aftermarket Parts
    F150 EcoBoost Power Packages

2011 F150 XLT Crew Cab Ecoboost, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, EDGE CTS Tuner, AFE Charge Pipe, BBK Throttle Body , Daystar Leveling, Platinum 20 Wheels- 464 RWTQ

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Stage3Motorsports View Post
    It takes alot to over oil a filter. If you do want to switch to dry you can always get the dry filter replacements.
    Yes Bill one could switch. I googled dry vs oiled air filters and there are gripes pertaining to both. Might just be a matter of personal preference into what kind to get. I like my oiled filters just fine but perhaps I will make the switch to dry, just for kicks.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

Prisoner of the other ........... 39% minority
    Member #
    Liked
    2323 times
    I used an oiled filter (K&N) on a custom intake where I could actually get cold air directed to the filter (and hot engine air kept out). I installed this in the early 1990s and drove the car for nearly 20 years with no problems and 300,000+ when I finally sold it. No problems.

I recall that K&N actually said a little "intake dust" aids in the filtration over a freshly cleaned & oiled filter. I still cleaned & oiled it on a regular basis. I also check my the air intake tube leading up to my throttle body and it was perfectly clean ... do "dust or anything".

I think people that may have problems may either improperly oil them or they didn't have a perfect seal in their intake. This is assuming they used a high quality filter and it wasn't damaged.

I would not have any hesitation to using a good quality oiled filter and I think K&N may have something with their claim that a "little dust" on the filter aids with filtration.
    2013 F-150 4x4 Supercab 145"WB Ecoboost XLT, Group 302A, XTR Trailer Package, E-Lock 3.55s ...
    Bolt-ons Installed:
    Banks CAI, Wagner CAC, Full Race Catted Downpipes, Custom 3" exhaust w/3" Flowmaster dBX Muffler
    Tuned by Torrie McPhail at www.unleashedtuning.com 91+ Octane 535 RWTQ @ 2750 / 372 RWHP @ 4900 - (Mustang Dyno)
    Mods (Waiting): Mishimoto Hardpipes, Tifosi Ported & Ceramic Coated Exhaust Manifolds, Full Race GT Turbos & SPD Ported Adapters

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    I installed the AFE 1 dry filter I don't like to tempt fate.Although I have used K&N insert filters on other trucks,With no problems.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Common sense would tell you any thing that flows better reduces filtration. If you reduce the filtration you allow large particles to enter the intake system. It is really a crap shoot but on forced induction engine I would be particularly careful of the quality of the filter you use.

Member #
    Liked
    5100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by limited View Post
    Common sense would tell you any thing that flows better reduces filtration. If you reduce the filtration you allow large particles to enter the intake system. It is really a crap shoot but on forced induction engine I would be particularly careful of the quality of the filter you use.
    I disagree.
    Filter media is designed to capture a fixed size particle, then it is pleated to increase the active surface area for a given size. The number of pleats, their depth, and their spacing is a function of required air flow at a specific pressure drop.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    OxfordFX4 likes this.
    '13 FX4 3.55 LET Tuned
    Stock Turbos = 451hp/532tq

58mm Turbos = 482hp/591tq

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links