Put the Damn Dam back on

Put the Damn Dam back on

This is a discussion on Put the Damn Dam back on within the F150 Ecoboost Performance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; I took off the air dam several months ago. I noticed no difference. I was looking in to possible mods to get more air to ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Put the Damn Dam back on

Member #
    Liked
    817 times

Put the Damn Dam back on

I took off the air dam several months ago. I noticed no difference. I was looking in to possible mods to get more air to the intercooler, and realized a few things.

If you have facts or links to creditable sources, I would love to hear them. If there is anything we can do to get more air to our intercooler (CAC) like cutting bumper, please advise.

First, here are three reasons to take off the air dam:
    1. looks
    2. Off roading
    3. it was easier to change the oil without it.

I dont off road, I didnt mind the looks and i drive 60 miles a day.

I searched google and added -forums to remove the opinions and get facts.

Wind tunnel testing. All companies have tested in wind tunnels and why would they have the dam on there if it didnt help.
    I couldnt find the exact statement specifically for ford, i did find GMC, but here are some examples.

Ford - Shows how detailed they are in testing.
    https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...amic-drag.html

GMC

a new air dam below the 2014 Sierra’s front bumper successfully reduces drag because it directs air toward the ground and away from the truck’s rough underbody. And Sierra’s ducted flow path between the grille and radiator prevents air from swirling inside the truck’s front cavities.

GMC Pickups 101: Busting Myths of Truck Aerodynamics

INTERCOOLER DATA

However, contrary to what common sense might imply an opening larger then the internal flow area of the core is not the ideal size. Instead, the opening should be between 60 and 25% of the core area. This number is both a result of the fact that in a completely open situation, less then one forth of the area going towards the core would flow between its fins, and a smaller inlet tapering open towards the core will produce a low pressure area, sucking in more air and maximizing air flow.

Intercooling 101

Here is a forum, but it seems thorough.

Well, I finally got my air dam testing done. Six fill-ups over 2200 miles. thrre with air dam vs three without air dam.

Without air dam: 26.34 MPG
    With air dam: 27.00 MPG[COLOR=#000000]

Effects Of Air Dam (Ford F350 pickup) - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

Conclusion

I origianlly removed the dam thinking it would allow more air from the bottom, but I see now this forcing air into a smaller hole might be better. Possibly it was leaking out the bottom.

I personally blow up a swimming pool with an air compressor, for the kids, and have found that the ideal inflation position is actually several inches from the large opening. It sucks more air in to the hole with it further away.

Mayby you dont care about a few pennies a fill up... but if you do! (and i am hoping for more cooling to radiator and CAC)

Put the damn dam back on...lol
    Last edited by coletrain; 08-02-2016 at 09:43 AM. Reason: That color stunk on tapatalk
    2013 Red supercrew 4x4 XLT w/ chrome package. SCT X4 tuner currently running E30 Unleashed custom tune. NKG Spark Plug-one heat range cooler. 285/65 R18 Revo2 tires. Hellwig 5100 rear sway bar. P3 Brake Controller. Truck box and tonneau. Air dam on! Removed air fins. Amsoil. Mizzou and Cardinals decals. Can't stop the Coletrain Baby! https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/10...not-build.html

Member #
    Liked
    1128 times
    DUH! Do you really think Ford would go through the effort to design an additional piece just for 'funsies'?!
    Eco-Mica likes this.
    2014 SCREW Green Gem XLT Plus
    3.55 E-lock - OE HID -
    Heated Adobe Leather - OffRoad Package - AutoSpring 2.5/1 Kit
    DiabloSport 91 Oct Tune - Stubby - Morimoto LED Fogs - LED Backup Lights - ATP CAC
    Enkei M5 20x8.5 30mm - Michelin Defender LTX MS2 275/65R20

Member #
    Liked
    5069 times
    More air to Intercooler. That's liquid cooled
    Envious, jim_87 and landon21and1 like this.
    http://www.leadingedgetuning.com 91 tune & 87 tow tune

2015 5.sL0w
    XTR trim
    Flowmaster DBX muffler
    exit rear tire with CORSA twin tips
    Hellwig rear ani-sway bar
    2" lift all around
    truck is so fast I had to install SYPPO
    tow mirrors 😹😹😹

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Quote Originally Posted by coletrain View Post

I personally blow up a swimming pool with an air compressor, for the kids, and have found that the ideal inflation position is actually several inches from the large opening. It sucks more air in to the hole with it further.

Put the damn dam back on...lol

Pictures or it didn't happen...
    bbond302 likes this.

2017 Raptor Magnetic

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    While the points are valid, the deltas in parameters between running with the dam on or off are so small that we would not see an every day difference w/o the use of equipment that 99% of us likely can't afford...

And if you think your CAC, coolant, or trans temps are improved with the dam on, show us some data logs of temps. But like I said, even if we tried the deltas are so small that heat soak from the engine, changes in road temps, ambient temps, etc would play havoc on trying to nail down a definitive data answer by folks like us with the equipment we all have access to
    Last edited by Mike Wood; 08-02-2016 at 06:29 AM.
    2014 F150 Super Crew Lariat 4x4 w/Ecoboost - White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat w/Adobe Interior - RX Monster Catch Can - 1.5" Auto Spring Level - 5 Star 93 Perf Tune - Diamond Eye 3.5" Stainless Exhaust System w/4.5" Tip - Full Race v2 Front Mount Intercooler - Resonated Offroad Downpipes

Member #
    Liked
    817 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    While the points are valid, the deltas in parameters between running with the dam on or off are so small that we would not see an every day difference w/o the use of equipment that 99% of us likely can't afford...

And if you think your CAC, coolant, or trans temps are improved with the dam on, show us some data logs of temps. But like I said, even if we tried the deltas are so small that heat soak from the engine, changes in road temps, ambient temps, etc would play havoc on trying to nail down a definitive data answer by folks like us with the equipment we all have access to
    I am not sure. I will not be conducting a personal study. I have posted the research I have found. The research I have found does indicate that it is a very small difference. But I decided I would take advantage of that difference. Please include any studies to the contrary, I would be entertained to read them.

Also Google "delta" for me.

I don't off road, and I don't mind the look. Other than it being in my way for oil change. I put it back on.
    2013 Red supercrew 4x4 XLT w/ chrome package. SCT X4 tuner currently running E30 Unleashed custom tune. NKG Spark Plug-one heat range cooler. 285/65 R18 Revo2 tires. Hellwig 5100 rear sway bar. P3 Brake Controller. Truck box and tonneau. Air dam on! Removed air fins. Amsoil. Mizzou and Cardinals decals. Can't stop the Coletrain Baby! https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/10...not-build.html

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3617 times
    Delta is basically a change in, or the difference between, a and B in a discussion, study, etc.
    Btrow likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    817 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
    Delta is basically a change in, or the difference between, a and B in a discussion, study, etc.
    I kinda knew. But thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    817 times
    I did extrapolate to guess CAC or radiator would get more cooling.

I found very positive info that it is minimally better for MPG, and I found that forcing through a small hole was better than exposed. But to that the extent the air dam is better for that, I am not sure.

I would love to see anybody that did any studies with cutting or removing anything to improve those temperature components. As he said an official study, not just a "my guess" study.

I didn't tell the difference with the dam on or off.

Member #
    Liked
    817 times
    And that was my point. Post any pertinent articles you have! I'm interested.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links