a little math help needed

This is a discussion on a little math help needed within the F150 Ecoboost Performance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; OK so i was never good in math and hated the class but i know the basics and you guys know the rest so help ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: a little math help needed

Member #
    Liked
    114 times

OK so i was never good in math and hated the class but i know the basics and you guys know the rest so help me out.
    if i change my fill up from 87 octane to 93 octane with lets just say 20 gal for sake of a nice even number.
    the simple math is .30 cents a gal more in cost and a total of $6 for the fill up overall.
    now for the question part !

how much more milage would i have to gain per mile to overcome that $6 cost for the 20 gal fill up ?
    and next is it possible even with a custom tune ?
    lets say my avg fuel milage is between 17.5 and 18.4 in stock form with mixed town and highway miles.

lets see some numbers at work !
    2013 XLT Flame Blue Metallic 4x4

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    TBH I don't know what the numbers will be, but im pretty sure no matter what your not gonna make up the fuel mileage to make it the same cost as regular. Even with a special tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 F150 Tremor FX4

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    thats kinda what im thinking without actually punchin it all up on a calculator !
    i also wondering how much more performance you can really get with the extra timing by running the 91 or 93 on a reg like alot of guys do.
    2013 XLT Flame Blue Metallic 4x4

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Well your not really gonna get much of a performance gain at all really. It def will not be noticeable as far as that goes. When using lower octane fuel the chance of engine knock is more likely, especially during higher rpms. When knock happens the timing retards, which in turn will give you less power and more fuel consumption. However the EB will run fine on regular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 F150 Tremor FX4

Prisoner of the other ........... 39% minority
    Member #
    Liked
    2323 times
    You don't have enough "variables" defined. You need to state both your cost for 87 and 93. The cost difference only is insufficent.

Then the formula is simple. $Cost-gallon-93 / $Cost-gallon-87 x AVG-MPG-87.

For simplicity ... if you 93 Octane costs 10% more per gallon (or per litre ...works both ways), then you must get at least a 10% increase in your overall MPG (kms/litre) to break even.
    2013 F-150 4x4 Supercab 145"WB Ecoboost XLT, Group 302A, XTR Trailer Package, E-Lock 3.55s ...
    Bolt-ons Installed:
    Banks CAI, Wagner CAC, Full Race Catted Downpipes, Custom 3" exhaust w/3" Flowmaster dBX Muffler
    Tuned by Torrie McPhail at www.unleashedtuning.com 91+ Octane 535 RWTQ @ 2750 / 372 RWHP @ 4900 - (Mustang Dyno)
    Mods (Waiting): Mishimoto Hardpipes, Tifosi Ported & Ceramic Coated Exhaust Manifolds, Full Race GT Turbos & SPD Ported Adapters

Member #
    Liked
    3642 times
    This^^ I was going to say this but then there was a little drama on the forum and I got distracted
    2Canches and Polch525 like this.
    2013 Sterling Gray FX4 157", Appearance Package, Max Tow, 402a, 36 Gallon Tank, 103k miles.
    Mods: S&B intake, FR resonated exhaust, X4 with LET and MPT tunes, auxiliary backup lights.
    In garage: 170* tstat, AEM meth injection, FR CAC ( black anodized, red tial bov, throttle body spacer, meth bung), AMP powered steps, billet badges, aeroforce gauges w/vent pods.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
    You don't have enough "variables" defined. You need to state both your cost for 87 and 93. The cost difference only is insufficent.

Then the formula is simple. $Cost-gallon-93 / $Cost-gallon-87 x AVG-MPG-87.

For simplicity ... if you 93 Octane costs 10% more per gallon (or per litre ...works both ways), then you must get at least a 10% increase in your overall MPG (kms/litre) to break even.
    That won't work as he is from Pennsylvania and you are using Canadian dollars and metric liquid measures. The correct formula for us in the U.S. is....(elevation (in feet) - elevation (in feet)) x (length of gas hose at pump (in feet)) + .05. As you can plainly see in my calculation premium yields a 5 percent increase in MPG, this being less than the increased cost of premium versus regular. Although there is a slight gain in fuel economy and horse power, regular 87 octane is more economical to run.

Disclaimer: It is currently 1* F here in South Central Kansas and snowing like hell. I am not responsible for what I post today. That is all. There will be NO Corvette driving today.
    scap99 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    OP, you might want this thread with lots of good information : https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6-...89-91-etc.html
    2013 Ruby Red Metallic Limited
    All LED lighting (HID headlamps)
    Recon tail, 3d brake and side mirror lenses
    Boost-Bar Lower Grill; Line-X bed and wheel well liner
    Hellwig front and rear stabilizer bars
    Reus Audio sound system

2008 Limited
    2004 Lariat
    1998 Ranger

Prisoner of the other ........... 39% minority
    Member #
    Liked
    2323 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fastbob View Post
    That won't work as he is from Pennsylvania and you are using Canadian dollars and metric liquid measures. The correct formula for us in the U.S. is....(elevation (in feet) - elevation (in feet)) x (length of gas hose at pump (in feet)) + .05. As you can plainly see in my calculation premium yields a 5 percent increase in MPG, this being less than the increased cost of premium versus regular. Although there is a slight gain in fuel economy and horse power, regular 87 octane is more economical to run.

Disclaimer: It is currently 1* F here in South Central Kansas and snowing like hell. I am not responsible for what I post today. That is all. There will be NO Corvette driving today.
    Luckily, I am an old timer that grew up with good ol' Fahrenheit & Gallons, as well I spent a lot of time in the US. I am perfectly bilingual in all measurement systems, including Imperial and Whitworth measurements.
    2013 F-150 4x4 Supercab 145"WB Ecoboost XLT, Group 302A, XTR Trailer Package, E-Lock 3.55s ...
    Bolt-ons Installed:
    Banks CAI, Wagner CAC, Full Race Catted Downpipes, Custom 3" exhaust w/3" Flowmaster dBX Muffler
    Tuned by Torrie McPhail at www.unleashedtuning.com 91+ Octane 535 RWTQ @ 2750 / 372 RWHP @ 4900 - (Mustang Dyno)
    Mods (Waiting): Mishimoto Hardpipes, Tifosi Ported & Ceramic Coated Exhaust Manifolds, Full Race GT Turbos & SPD Ported Adapters

Member #
    Liked
    5062 times
    I like Kevin

Sent from my white iPad3 in a RED smart case using an app called Tapatalk
    http://www.leadingedgetuning.com 91 tune & 87 tow tune

2015 5.sL0w
    XTR trim
    Flowmaster DBX muffler
    exit rear tire with CORSA twin tips
    Hellwig rear ani-sway bar
    2" lift all around