Full Races New Gen2 Intercoolers

This is a discussion on Full Races New Gen2 Intercoolers within the F150 Ecoboost Performance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; Just wanted share Full Raceís new Gen2 intercooler upgrade. I am fortunate to have received a core from Full Race and I will say they ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Full Races New Gen2 Intercoolers

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3999 times

Just wanted share Full Raceís new Gen2 intercooler upgrade. I am fortunate to have received a core from Full Race and I will say they are absolutely sick

My truck is down at Revolution Automotive where we are doing some R&D and testing on a few things right now. Once we finish up at Rev Auto, I will post some better pics and any data I may have that you guys would like to see.

Have a look, and I believe they are on Full Races website.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3139 times
    @rbrown, what all has been upgraded or changed over the first generation intercooler?
    -Clark

2013 Ingot Silver SuperCrew XLT - Texas Edition, 3.5L EcoBoost, 3.31 e-locker, AEM drop-in filter, Self-fabricated grill insert, AVS low-profile vent shades, Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70/18, BakFlip G2 tri-fold bed cover

Member #
    Liked
    2517 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmore328 View Post
    @rbrown, what all has been upgraded or changed over the first generation intercooler?
    It has "FULL RACE" painted in white, duh.
    mtxpert, TX-Ripper, Shrek and 2 others like this.
    2011 F150 Platinum screw 2WD 6.5' bed, 3.73 Max Tow pkg | Full Race FMIC | EPP catted downpipe | PowerStop Extreme | OEM Harley front end | Belltech 3/4 drop | Black Rhino Traverse 22" | built motor & EFR's coming soon...
    2018 Ford Transit XLT 12 passenger van 3.5 EB | stock for now...
    1992 Mustang 5.0 coupe bolt-on play thing.
    1964 1/2 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car - OEM replica, collector car toy

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1128 times
    I mean, it looks like a really nice unit.
    2014 SCREW Green Gem XLT Plus
    3.55 E-lock - OE HID -
    Heated Adobe Leather - OffRoad Package - AutoSpring 2.5/1 Kit
    DiabloSport 91 Oct Tune - Stubby - Morimoto LED Fogs - LED Backup Lights - ATP CAC
    Enkei M5 20x8.5 30mm - Michelin Defender LTX MS2 275/65R20

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3999 times

Quote Originally Posted by Elmore328 View Post
    The info Shared by FR to myself shows that the White Full Race stencil is guaranteed to drop iat2 temps by 79* F below ambient. Maybe even add 64HP and that is all from a stencil. Wow

But seriously: Here are some of the intercoolers improvements over the gen1 as well as my opinion and first look at it.

Full Race Gen 2 intercooler will will fit both gen 1 and gen 2 F150ís including the ecoboost raptor. (Not sure about you 2.7L lil ecoís) I can ask

So this can be an upgrade and/or purchase for anyone, any year.

Here is some info I know and can share.
    -Ansys software used for CFD
    -CFD fully optimize end tank design to improve air flow / end tank aerodynamics that are optimized with less volume
    -engineered and designed to reduced pressure drop and allow slightly more ambient flow through the core

- The core utilizes a custom fin design.
    - Fins are slightly less dense on the ambient side, while on the charge or flow side they were able to utilize the same density design as the current gen1 intercooler design.

-my opinions.

I really like the new look of these gen2 intercoolers, especially the end tanks. They not only look nice and flow well with the overall design of the cac, but the castings used for end tank are really nice.
    Having a quick look inside the end tanks you will quickly see why cast is the way to go and the benefits full race took advantage of by using them. I donít have all the specs, I know Full Race geoff will hopefully see this, because He is smarter than me and has the good info.

The new fin design at first appear just nice looking and robust for a fin, however have a good look, and you will notice they seem less prone to bending and abuse from being behind the grill. It looks to be solid and quality which is hard to argue That full race simply has great products and outstanding fab. I have yet to find a performance parts manufacturer who can fabricate and deliver parts on the level of full race.

Iíll will photograph more pics when I get my truck from rev auto after we finish the work we are completing. Stoked and hope to get data
    Last edited by RMB_Ryan; 10-10-2017 at 07:11 PM.
    Elmore328 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    I never understood why companies continue to paint intercoolers... all it does is decrease efficiency but that aside I am curious to hear about the changes made in this revision. Keep us posted @rbrown
    2017 2.7L Bronze Fire 4x4 3.55 145" | Gearhead Tune | UPR DVCC + CSS | Ford Performance Super 8.8" LSD | Hellwig front/rear sway-bar | 12Volt Solutions Remote Starter | Ford Tri-fold tonneau cover | Line X bed liner | Huskey front/rear mud guards & rear wheel well liners | AVS Aeroskin hood shield | Rear block removed

Member #
    Liked
    749 times
    Quote Originally Posted by D0ncH View Post
    I never understood why companies continue to paint intercoolers... all it does is decrease efficiency but that aside I am curious to hear about the changes made in this revision. Keep us posted @rbrown
    I believe the reason for the paint is plain and simple, some like to fly under the radar and don't like the hey look at me silver effect behind the grill. I personally feel like displaying the manufacturer name on the CAC is cheesy. Too each their own.
    bespurcell, Blown F-150 and eracer like this.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3999 times
    Quote Originally Posted by D0ncH View Post
    Who told you it decreases efficiency? By how much, Iím curious on your info. Curious as to why as well, particularly if anodized.

Typically most companies black powder coat, but few anodize. Anodizing is a good solution. I honestly believe when you are looking at the actual decrease you mentioned it is negligible anyhow. Iíll be comparing. Last intercooler gen1 Full Race was not coated. I also prefer it to look nice, and feel both do in these pics. Any loss Iíll make up with twin EFR 71:63ís and 3900psi fuel pressure through the injectors.

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Send one my way, I'm in for testing one out

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I believe the reason for the paint is plain and simple, some like to fly under the radar and don't like the hey look at me silver effect behind the grill. I personally feel like displaying the manufacturer name on the CAC is cheesy. Too each their own.
    Fair enough and at the end of the day it's all personal preference. I do agree with you about the logo on the front, I don't like it either.

Quote Originally Posted by rbrown View Post
    Who told you it decreases efficiency? By how much, I’m curious on your info. Curious as to why as well, particularly if anodized.
    Bare metal will also disperse heat better, any coating will act as a thermal insulator. As for actual numbers, I don't have them, but the whole idea behind an upgraded intercooler is to maximize heat dispersion from the core. Like Gearhead said (and I agree with him) if you like the stealth/sleeper look then by all means fill you boots
    Here is a video from a pretty reputable youtuber on the topic:
    Last edited by D0ncH; 10-10-2017 at 07:40 PM.
    bespurcell likes this.
    2017 2.7L Bronze Fire 4x4 3.55 145" | Gearhead Tune | UPR DVCC + CSS | Ford Performance Super 8.8" LSD | Hellwig front/rear sway-bar | 12Volt Solutions Remote Starter | Ford Tri-fold tonneau cover | Line X bed liner | Huskey front/rear mud guards & rear wheel well liners | AVS Aeroskin hood shield | Rear block removed

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links