Safe tuning and bolt on power adders - Page 3

Safe tuning and bolt on power adders

This is a discussion on Safe tuning and bolt on power adders within the F150 Ecoboost Performance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; Thanks guys. I'll keep it stock. Maybe tune the next one if I can ever afford one. These prices are insane....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Safe tuning and bolt on power adders

Fox

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Thanks guys. I'll keep it stock. Maybe tune the next one if I can ever afford one. These prices are insane.
    Boostking likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2527 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Boost and hoes View Post
    How have your ran aftermarket down pipes and not had your CEL come on?
    Quality cats is my non-educated presumption. See my 'started threads' for the downpipe install. There was some discussion there about CEL's and the guy I bought the pipes from chimed in. He's still on here - @mtxpert
    2011 F150 Platinum screw 2WD 6.5' bed, 3.73 Max Tow pkg | Full Race FMIC | EPP catted downpipe | PowerStop Extreme | OEM Harley front end | Belltech 3/4 drop | Black Rhino Traverse 22" | built motor & EFR's coming soon...
    2018 Ford Transit XLT 12 passenger van 3.5 EB | stock for now...
    1992 Mustang 5.0 coupe bolt-on play thing.
    1964 1/2 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car - OEM replica, collector car toy

Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Correct the PPE pipes don't throw a code.
    Mike B from EPP
    2014 FX2 Tremor - EPP project truck
    2017 F250 Platinum 6.7L SCREW - wife's daily
    Had a 600WHP Ecoboost Flex but the trans let go

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mtxpert View Post
    Correct the PPE pipes don't throw a code.
    PPE?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    2017 2.7L Bronze Fire 4x4 3.55 145" | Gearhead Tune | UPR DVCC + CSS | Ford Performance Super 8.8" LSD | Hellwig front/rear sway-bar | 12Volt Solutions Remote Starter | Ford Tri-fold tonneau cover | Line X bed liner | Huskey front/rear mud guards & rear wheel well liners | AVS Aeroskin hood shield | Rear block removed

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by D0ncH View Post
    PPE?

https://www.ppeengineering-onlinestore.com/Ford_c85.htm
    D0ncH and bespurcell like this.
    -Clark

2013 Ingot Silver SuperCrew XLT - Texas Edition, 3.5L EcoBoost, 3.31 e-locker, AEM drop-in filter, Self-fabricated grill insert, AVS low-profile vent shades, Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70/18, BakFlip G2 tri-fold bed cover

Member #
    Liked
    1741 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    Quality cats is my non-educated presumption. See my 'started threads' for the downpipe install. There was some discussion there about CEL's and the guy I bought the pipes from chimed in. He's still on here - @mtxpert
    I wouldn't say it's the quality of the cats that trigger the CEL... it's the flow rate and cell density. Most aftermarket high flow cats are rated at 200 cells per square inch. I think the minimum for our PCM to be happy is 300 cell cats, which have more cell density and are able to convert more emissions into cleaner air. With that said, the higher the cell count usually means it's more restrictive than a lower count.
    13 SuperCrew Ruby Red 302A, 4x4 6.5 box, 3.31, Roush 22's. Twin catch cans, "leveled" with Bilsteins (-2 front, -3 rear), AirLift, SCT. Other's may have displacement on demand... I have an endless supply of torque at my right foot's demand.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    If you live in cali I would strongly advise against doing anything that could cause you to fail emissions/sniff tests. I've never heard one person say a good thing about cali's emissions laws regarding vehicles. I have catless downpipes/modified pipes, I can say with confidence that most people will be able to tell you've done serious exhaust modifications to your truck which is what will get them looking for trouble. I have failed inspection before just because of visual inspection! My truck was so loud they decided to investigate why it was so loud.

In hindsight, I probably wouldn't have done catless pipes because of the inspection issues, not to mention I can tell there are people I really piss off with my exhaust note. Not to mention sometimes my truck will really stink like raw fuel sometimes. I can definitely hear my turbos A LOT more but so can everyone else -- and sometimes it just invites trouble. If I were to try and make an analogy out of it -- I would say that going modified cats increased the sounds I could hear by about...60% while increasing what everyone else could hear by probably 250%. Not exaggeration. I get pretty mean glares on a regular basis lol.

All of the bolt ons you've mentioned aren't really going to be worth it IMO if you're not going to be running perf tuning 80% of the time.
    2012 Ecoboost Lariat 4x4 82k'ish
    SCT X4 5 star tunes 93perf
    Race Downpipe, ICON Stage 2, Fuel Hostages +20, 295/70/18 G2's
    aFe CAI & aFe Bladerunner
    UPR Mega Catch Can

Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rougen123 View Post
    If you live in cali I would strongly advise against doing anything that could cause you to fail emissions/sniff tests. I've never heard one person say a good thing about cali's emissions laws regarding vehicles. I have catless downpipes/modified pipes, I can say with confidence that most people will be able to tell you've done serious exhaust modifications to your truck which is what will get them looking for trouble. I have failed inspection before just because of visual inspection! My truck was so loud they decided to investigate why it was so loud.

In hindsight, I probably wouldn't have done catless pipes because of the inspection issues, not to mention I can tell there are people I really piss off with my exhaust note. Not to mention sometimes my truck will really stink like raw fuel sometimes. I can definitely hear my turbos A LOT more but so can everyone else -- and sometimes it just invites trouble. If I were to try and make an analogy out of it -- I would say that going modified cats increased the sounds I could hear by about...60% while increasing what everyone else could hear by probably 250%. Not exaggeration. I get pretty mean glares on a regular basis lol.

All of the bolt ons you've mentioned aren't really going to be worth it IMO if you're not going to be running perf tuning 80% of the time.
    Are you running an aftermarket exhaust as well or the oem exhaust

2017 2.7L Bronze Fire 4x4 3.55 145" | Gearhead Tune | UPR DVCC + CSS | Ford Performance Super 8.8" LSD | Hellwig front/rear sway-bar | 12Volt Solutions Remote Starter | Ford Tri-fold tonneau cover | Line X bed liner | Huskey front/rear mud guards & rear wheel well liners | AVS Aeroskin hood shield | Rear block removed

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I am 4" from the Y-pipe back with a very large muffler that is ~24" long and ~8" wide. HUGE muffler. Still very, very loud.
    2012 Ecoboost Lariat 4x4 82k'ish
    SCT X4 5 star tunes 93perf
    Race Downpipe, ICON Stage 2, Fuel Hostages +20, 295/70/18 G2's
    aFe CAI & aFe Bladerunner
    UPR Mega Catch Can

Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Yes
    Mike B from EPP
    2014 FX2 Tremor - EPP project truck
    2017 F250 Platinum 6.7L SCREW - wife's daily