Mishimoto R&D: 2011-2014 F-150 Transmission Cooler - Page 2

Mishimoto R&D: 2011-2014 F-150 Transmission Cooler

This is a discussion on Mishimoto R&D: 2011-2014 F-150 Transmission Cooler within the F150 Ecoboost Performance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; Originally Posted by trev I really want to see someone tackle a cooling system upgrade. Allot of us are running on the edge of what ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Mishimoto R&D: 2011-2014 F-150 Transmission Cooler

Member #
    Liked
    279 times
    Quote Originally Posted by trev View Post
    I really want to see someone tackle a cooling system upgrade. Allot of us are running on the edge of what the stock cooling system can handle.

Auxiliary radiator? Underdrive pulley for the water pump?

Misimoto, i think this is the next project you should tackle
    Quote Originally Posted by Envious View Post
    I would really like to see a water pump pulley!
    I agree. I would be all over some sort of cooling system upgrade. Not just a radiator or CAC. There have been several discussed on the forums. Underdrive water pump pulley, High-performance water pump, Reversing the coolant flow, On-demand cooling fans, Oil cooling. I think the pump pulley seems like minimal gain using stock equipment. I'd like to see a high performance water pump that actually moves the coolant through the motor faster. The dang turbos are at the end of the line after the heads get cooled. So this is where some feel the coolant should be reversed or the turbo cooling re-routed to a cooler water inlet source. What about an aux cooler for turbo cooling only?
    2012 SCREW Eco FX4 Tuxedo Black, Fully loaded, Max Tow, 3.73 rear.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Firestone Air bags.

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Hey everybody,

It's been a while, but we're excited to share another update for this project. More updates should be coming a little quicker in the future, so keep an eye out for those and let us know what you think!

-Steve

In Capable Hands — Transmission Cooler R&D, Part 2: Design

The key to great engineering is often making the most of what you’re given–using the resources available to you in the most efficient way possible. When we last talked about the 2011-2014 F-150 transmission cooler, we noted that Ford’s engineers left a lot on the table. Behind the grille of the F-150 lays a transmission cooler that’s only using about half of the resources given to it. But we’re not about to let that extra space go to waste. In this post, our engineer will leverage simplicity and creativity to make the most of what the 2011-2014 F-150 has to give.

Our design process for this transmission cooler followed the same path it does for most of our products. We started by analyzing the stock trans cooler, some of which you saw in the last post. Aside from noting the overall design of the stock cooler, our engineer also took specific measurements of the surrounding parts for a comprehensive view of where we could improve on the stock design. Many of our measurements focused on the bracket that holds the stock trans cooler in place.

Those measurements allowed us to create a 3D model of our transmission cooler and visualize the improvements. Instead of leaving half the height of the stock bracket unused, our cooler makes the most of every available inch behind the grille. The width of the cooler will remain the same so that we can use the stock bracket and lines. Another key to great engineering is simplicity; the more of the stock components we can use while creating a more efficient cooler, the more bang you get for your buck.

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Hey everybody,

Good news, this transmission cooler is now in pre-sale! Check out our last post below and then head to our website for more details!

-Steve

In Capable Hands – Transmission Cooler R&D, Part 3: Production

After months of measuring, modeling, designing and prototyping, the time has finally come to put our 2011–2014 Ford F-150 and 2010–2014 Ford Raptor transmission cooler to the test and hopefully put your F-150 in capable hands.

Our last post for this transmission cooler ended with a successful test fit of our 3D printed prototype and a decision to be made. We had two options for our transmission cooler’s core: tube and fin, or stacked plate. Each option has its advantages and disadvantages. Tube-and-fin coolers flow and cool well but aren’t quite as durable as stacked-plate coolers. Stacked-plate coolers are tough and reliable, but their internal tube structure can severely restrict flow. Depending on the size and shape of the cooler, where it’s located, and how the system operates, each has its place. We won’t know how each performs for this cooler until we test them.

Since creating our prototype for the 2011–2014 F-150 transmission cooler, we’ve also been wrapping up development on our 2015+ F-150 transmission cooler. Unsurprisingly, the 2011–2014 F-150 and the 2015+ F-150 share similar transmission cooling systems. And despite using two dissimilar mounting systems, the Mishimoto 2015+ F-150 transmission cooler and our 2011–2014 F-150 boast very similar increases in core volume and capacity over their stock counterparts. With the two truck generations sharing similar transmission cooling systems and such similar cores, the data that we gather from our 2015+ transmission cooler will also apply to our 2011–2014 cooler.

Instead of building two samples of the 2011–2014 transmission cooler and the 2015+ cooler, we decided to hold off on production samples of our 2011–2014 cooler until the 2015+ core was tested. A few weeks ago, the two samples for the 2015+ cooler arrived in our shop and we began the bench testing process.

...Continue Reading
    Last edited by Mishimoto; 06-03-2019 at 01:49 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Hey everybody,

We're going to be giving away one of these trans coolers! This contest will close this Wednesday 6/19 at 2:00 PM, so check out the link below to enter!

If you've already placed your pre-order, go ahead and enter. If you win, we'll simply ship your order for free!

Thanks!
    -Steve

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I’m pretty late to the party but under normal cold weather unloaded conditions the trans temperature has always seemed to be a major factor in MPG. On those cold mornings it takes a lot to get the trans to operating temperature. I’ve never had my trans above 206F and that’s loaded and in South Mississippi in July in the heat of the day. I’m not opposed to more cooling for when I tow but I fear without some sort of diverter valve it will be at the cost of cold weather MPG’s. I’m more interested in the radiator also. I’m not opposed to your cooler just not wanting to sacrifice in the winter. Currently it takes 10-15mins of driving to warm the trans on a normal winter day. It’s taken 20mins before, and I’m in the Gulf South.

Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 2013EBF150 View Post
    I’m pretty late to the party but under normal cold weather unloaded conditions the trans temperature has always seemed to be a major factor in MPG. On those cold mornings it takes a lot to get the trans to operating temperature. I’ve never had my trans above 206F and that’s loaded and in South Mississippi in July in the heat of the day. I’m not opposed to more cooling for when I tow but I fear without some sort of diverter valve it will be at the cost of cold weather MPG’s. I’m more interested in the radiator also. I’m not opposed to your cooler just not wanting to sacrifice in the winter. Currently it takes 10-15mins of driving to warm the trans on a normal winter day. It’s taken 20mins before, and I’m in the Gulf South.
    Isn't there a "thermostat" in the transmission that holds fluid flow to the cooler until 195 F? A larger cooler would have no bearing on how fast the transmission warms.
    Cheers,
    Jim
    2014 FX4 screw, Ruby Red, 402A, 3.55, 5.5, factory spray in bed liner, LT tires, BAKflip VP, custom engine, air and fuse box covers, Custom Cab, Ford mud flaps

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by miniceptor86 View Post
    Isn't there a "thermostat" in the transmission that holds fluid flow to the cooler until 195 F? A larger cooler would have no bearing on how fast the transmission warms.
    I’ve heard that as well but if that’s the case the transmission would need a recirculating valve. And if that is the case my truck ran over 30 minutes of highway driving this afternoon in 90 degree temps before the transmission started circulating through the cooler. I doubt that’s the case.
    Last edited by 2013EBF150; 06-17-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    112 times

Our trucks run something similar I believe.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gotboost150 View Post

Our trucks run something similar I believe.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    So there is no way the bypass valve wasn’t open. I wonder if it’s failed open.

Member #
    Liked
    1216 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 2013EBF150 View Post
    I’ve heard that as well but if that’s the case the transmission would need a recirculating valve. And if that is the case my truck ran over 30 minutes of highway driving this afternoon in 90 degree temps before the transmission started circulating through the cooler. I doubt that’s the case.
    Yes. If you jump right on the highway and are cruising no shifting, this is fully possible. The transcooler on our trucks is just made to hold the temp.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links