What is the next easy step to get another 40-50rwhp - Page 4

What is the next easy step to get another 40-50rwhp

This is a discussion on What is the next easy step to get another 40-50rwhp within the F150 Ecoboost Performance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; Originally Posted by 2016BoostedGreyGoose I have no idea what my truck will be making...but here is what ive got so far....GT Turbos, CR big bore ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: What is the next easy step to get another 40-50rwhp

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3580 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 2016BoostedGreyGoose View Post
    I have no idea what my truck will be making...but here is what ive got so far....GT Turbos, CR big bore manifolds, SPD adaptors, full-race catted DPs, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Mishimoto intercooler, ported TB, CAI, Mishimoto hot/cold pipes. Will need to get tuned after im done with installation. I am really only hoping for a solid 400whp with lots of area under the curve. Thoughts? Just want a lil power on tap so it doesnt look quick but in reality just look the part.
    It already looks quick, because it has an Ecoboost badge .

Baaaaaaaaaaa

Member #
    Liked
    775 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 00bullitt View Post
    I have yet to hear an exhaust that I would consider. They all sound like ****.
    Maybe the Magnaflow MF.

Im gonna get the CAC and Turbos on and then re-evaluate.
    You haven't heard mine..

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3580 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    You haven't heard mine..
    What's different about your exhaust?

Baaaaaaaaaaa

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AllWhiteEco View Post
    I was the same way after I installed my downpipes. I didn’t want to waste my money on a $500+ catback after all I read on here was complaints of drone and annoyingly loud exhausts. I kept the stock catback, did a res delete, and kept it that way for a year. My biggest complaint was how raspy/buzzy the exhaust was from 4K rpms and up. I do have catless DP’s so that may not be an issue with catted ones. I went with the Magnaflow 12579 muffler after the long debate in the “Magnaflow muffler swap thread”. Couldn’t have been happier with the change from the stock catback. Made the exhaust note deeper and mellowed it out. Best part was it had no drone and completely eliminated the raspy buzzing sound in the upper rpms. The muffler isn’t expensive ($100~) either and wouldn’t be a big loss if you didn’t like it. Most of the other systems use shorter round mufflers that aren’t that good at cutting down the volume. This one made my exhaust just slightly louder (really just deeper) than the stock catback + downpipes. It’s massive and heavy which is a good match for a truck with downpipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Any video of your exhaust system?
    12' F-150 SCREW, FX4, 3.5TT, CRP Manifolds/SPD Turbo Adapters/MBRP Offroad DP/AFE Intake/170 tstat/CP-E intercooler, 3.73 gear, 33" Duratrac

Member #
    do downpipes really make that much difference? if so, how? its just a pipe

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregswifty View Post
    More flow

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    2017 2.7L Bronze Fire 4x4 3.55 145" | Gearhead Tune | UPR DVCC + CSS | Ford Performance Super 8.8" LSD | Hellwig front/rear sway-bar | 12Volt Solutions Remote Starter | Ford Tri-fold tonneau cover | Line X bed liner | Huskey front/rear mud guards & rear wheel well liners | AVS Aeroskin hood shield | Rear block removed

Member #
    Liked
    1099 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregswifty View Post
    Turbos can only flow a certain amount of exhaust based on the pressure delta across the turbine. If you reduce the pressure after the turbine with a freer flowing downpipe and exhaust, this means the pressure in front of the turbine can be lower and still achieve the same exhaust flow. Less pressure in front of the turbine means less effort by the engine to push out the exhaust from the cylinder(so it robs less power from the engine to do so.) It also results in less exhaust mass left in the cylinder after the exhaust stroke since the exhaust is under a lower pressure. This means more fresh air can be added back into the cylinder on the intake stroke. More air means more power.

Of course, this all depends on whether the downpipes and exhaust is a restriction.
    Last edited by mass-hole; 02-01-2019 at 03:18 PM.
    D0ncH and Mikedick77 like this.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
    Turbos can only flow a certain amount of exhaust based on the pressure delta across the turbine. If you reduce the pressure after the turbine with a freer flowing downpipe and exhaust, this means the pressure in front of the turbine can be lower and still achieve the same exhaust flow. Less pressure in front of the turbine means less effort by the engine to push out the exhaust from the cylinder(so it robs less power from the engine to do so.) It also results in less exhaust mass left in the cylinder after the exhaust stroke since the exhaust is under a lower pressure. This means more fresh air can be added back into the cylinder on the intake stroke. More air means more power.

Of course, this all depends on whether the downpipes and exhaust is a restriction.
    I've recently been pondering adding catted downpipes and cutting out the 2.5" restriction from they y to the muffler, but my tuning experience says I will only possibly get a faster spool and nothing else, since these vehicles are torque based and limit based. I got into a discussion on facebook about whether a downpipe would add more power. I say not really, but the general thought is yes. I'm gonna leave a post from a fellow who really knows his stuff and see where this discussion goes.

QUOTE="Tune+, post: 1306001, member: 19118"]Actually the car is not blind to reduced back pressure as EGBP(psi) is part of the factory calculations for load, speed density quadratic tables, OE BPV control strategies. It is all inferred as the car does not actually have a way to measure true exhaust backpressure. It uses multiple readings to get a somewhat accurate EGBP measurement. So when you change the downpipe it alters the parameters being read by the ECU and it will automatically try to compensate for it. If the range of EGBP changes there are multipliers in both directions to make the changes.

So the loss of torque "feel" on the factory tune; 1. The factory tune uses the throttle blade angle (ETC) to control TIP/Load, when you install a catless or higher flowing downpipe you increase TIP and LOAD so the ECU has to compensate even more to keep everything in check. How it compensates is by reducing ETC Angle to block out boost and lower load. 2. Turbine Speed is lower initially, but overspeed is possible as long as the throttle is 100% open, if the throttle is not 100% open the charge pressure is always going to be forcing the turbo to slow down as the charge it is producing is not moving with intended velocity. With the factory tune, it is more #1 than #2 but both are possible.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Bugasu, post: 1306280, member: 23272
    Its still blind in the sense that the factory ExBP and thus the ExMAP are modeled for the stock downpipe, exhaust, and turbocharger as a combo. As far as the factory mappings for both are concerned, your pressure will be higher than actual. Factory readings are based on the inferred exhaust airflow. Removing the restriction means for the same airflow, you should now have less pressure. The stock ECU will not be aware of that change. The only way it would see lower pressure is lower airflow, which is contrary to what you will be doing with such a change anyways. Changing your downpipe and more-so your turbo has an effect, especially as overlap is increased via cam.

Without the appropriate inferred ExBP, which you drastically change by moving catted to non-catted at high airflows, the inferred turbine power is off, meaning inferred speed is off, and now the factory system is no longer accurate in control of turbocharger speed, and cannot appropriately generate the correct target mass-fraction.

In the case of lower ExBP, it under-predicts, meaning it over-actuates, so your turbocharger that was already spinning faster than the ECU was calculating will now be pushed even farther over.

This is directly in-line with the failure modes Ford states for such modifications. Getting a catless downpipe without a tune won't do you any good as the ECU is torque targeting. If you make more torque, it'll simply close the throttle more.
    Another thing about the aftermarket downpipes I see, is that they all seem to use the same size pipe to connect to the turbos as stock, then expand as they get to the catalytic converter if there is one, so basically isn't that the same thing as the 2.5" bottle neck in the factory resonator. Look at the connection at the turbo flange on this picture below

Name:  F150-EB-Downpipes_FULL.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  98.2 KB
    mwemaxxowner likes this.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3580 times
    That all sounds a lot like what @Boostking was telling us about how the programming handles turbo upgrades in his oem+ thread. I've been very much so on the fence regarding the merits of bolt on upgrades. I want to know what my intended bolt ons can do *with tuning*, and would like them to behave well on the stock tune if I ever find myself needing to run it.

Was that posted by Adam at Tune+?

Baaaaaaaaaaa

Member #
    Liked
    426 times
    Im interested in this too because I am debating on a set of downpipes here soon as well.
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Sponsored Links