Full Race FMIC and grill shutters

This is a discussion on Full Race FMIC and grill shutters within the F150 Ecoboost Performance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; Got my Full Race FMIC installed a few weeks ago. Thing is amazingly efficient. Drops my IAT2 to 5 to 10 degrees below ambient (correction....IAT1) ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By full-race geoff
  • 1 Post By TCP2

Thread: Full Race FMIC and grill shutters

Member #
    Liked
    19 times

Got my Full Race FMIC installed a few weeks ago.
    Thing is amazingly efficient. Drops my IAT2 to 5 to 10 degrees below ambient (correction....IAT1) with hardly any airflow over it.

For those considering this option, the mounting location behind the grill, requires that you remove the grill shutter system by cutting it out of the way.

While I did this, I probably would have chosen a different CAC solution had I done better research before purchase.
    Granted, it looks super mean with this massive CAC visible in the grill.

I do get the communication failure DTC with the active grill shutter now, but its a non critical code and does not set the CEL.

Anyway.....FYSA (For Your Situational Awareness) in case you are considering this option. I bring this up because I've considered trading up and now realize how bad I screwed up with an irreversible mod.
    Last edited by 00bullitt; 04-24-2019 at 04:55 AM.
    2016 F150 XLT SCREW 4x4 (Ingot Silver) Sport Package, 5.5' Bed
    3.5L EcoBeast

6" BDS lift with Fox Coilover
    35x12.50-20 Nitto Ridge Grappler
    20"x10" XD825 Buck's with -24 offset
    Diamondback Bed Cover - Black
    DeeZee Rubber Bed Mat
    Bully Dog BDX with 5 Star Tunes
    AFE Stage 2 CAI
    Full Race Catted Downpipes, Factory Exhaust with Corsa Tip
    Sport Grill-Body Color Matched
    Husky Floor Liners
    Headlight Revolution SuperNova v3 Lo/Hi/Fog LED's

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I interested in getting a FR intercooler as well. Good to hear you are enjoying it.

Side note, it’s impossible for an air-to-air intercooler to drop charge air temps below ambient.
    If you believe IAT1 is ambient, it’s an honest mistake. That’s air inlet temp, not ambient.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I do stand corrected. Its IAT1 vs. IAT2 difference.
    2016 F150 XLT SCREW 4x4 (Ingot Silver) Sport Package, 5.5' Bed
    3.5L EcoBeast

6" BDS lift with Fox Coilover
    35x12.50-20 Nitto Ridge Grappler
    20"x10" XD825 Buck's with -24 offset
    Diamondback Bed Cover - Black
    DeeZee Rubber Bed Mat
    Bully Dog BDX with 5 Star Tunes
    AFE Stage 2 CAI
    Full Race Catted Downpipes, Factory Exhaust with Corsa Tip
    Sport Grill-Body Color Matched
    Husky Floor Liners
    Headlight Revolution SuperNova v3 Lo/Hi/Fog LED's

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Ecoboost Regular full-race geoff's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    405 times
    hi, you can plug the oem shutter motor into the harness and the code will go away. check out the instructions on our website. hit me back if you have any questions and ill do my best to help -geoff
    Cars are no longer simple.

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    Taking out the shutters didn't bother me too much but after the 1st summer and towing our 4000# trailer the coolant temps were slightly higher than years before. 100+ degree temps and the extra stuff in front of the radiator will do this, I was hoping it would not.

But the unit itself is a very nice piece in looks and function. If I had it to do again I would choose a factory location replacement just so it would not block the radiator.
    2015 Ingot Silver - 3.5 Ecoboost FX4

Ecoboost Regular full-race geoff's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    405 times
    hi scott, can you tell me exactly what the coolant temps were reaching? In my experience, the OEM coolant temps can regularly get fairly warm on these engines. typically a front mounted intercooler has minimal effect on coolant temps compared to stock location, particularly when you consider the reduction in Throttle Body charge air from 180-200F down to near ambient.

regardless the Garrett factory location cooler is the way to go if stock location is the requirement
    Scott91370 likes this.
    Cars are no longer simple.

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    Geoff - Thanks for asking! I do want to make sure everybody knows that I am in no way knocking the product. It is a great piece, keeps air temps within 5 of intake temp and does not heat soak like the OEM unit.

Last summer, the first summer with it, towing our 4500lbs-ish travel trailer in high 90* ambient temps I was consistently reaching the upper 230/lower 240 range. Luckily I was able to keep the RPMs down which would help. Not towing it is flawless. I honestly think that the cooling system is not up to par for these trucks - the radiator could be slightly thicker - and I haven't replaced the thermostat with a lower one, which I could probably do and see a little result.

I can keep track of temps if you would like and let you know ambient temps, intake, post intercooler and coolant temps at different points. But if you have any advice I'd be glad to take it into consideration.

Thanks again for reaching out!!

Member #
    Liked
    140 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
    Geoff - Thanks for asking! I do want to make sure everybody knows that I am in no way knocking the product. It is a great piece, keeps air temps within 5 of intake temp and does not heat soak like the OEM unit.

Last summer, the first summer with it, towing our 4500lbs-ish travel trailer in high 90* ambient temps I was consistently reaching the upper 230/lower 240 range. Luckily I was able to keep the RPMs down which would help. Not towing it is flawless. I honestly think that the cooling system is not up to par for these trucks - the radiator could be slightly thicker - and I haven't replaced the thermostat with a lower one, which I could probably do and see a little result.

I can keep track of temps if you would like and let you know ambient temps, intake, post intercooler and coolant temps at different points. But if you have any advice I'd be glad to take it into consideration.

Thanks again for reaching out!!
    It would help if you kept the RPMs up. It will flow more coolant and rely less on the turbos. Lugging the engine at lower rpms when towing is a sure way to drive up coolant temperatures.
    Scott91370 likes this.
    -2016 XLT (XTR) 3.5 ecoboost supercrew 6.5' box, max tow, line-x, Bakflip MX4, Firestone ride-rite airbags, Vantech Rack, Alpine PWE-S8 Sub.
    -2019 Open Range UT2504BH.

-Sold: 2009 XLT (XTR pkg) supercrew 5.4l 6sp 6.5ft bed. 131k miles, Rider Topper, Ride Rite airbags, Ford well liners, 5Star custom Tune.
    -Sold: 2010 Funfinder 189FDS
    -Sold: 2005 R-Vision Bantam Flyer F18 Hybrid

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    When I say down, I mean I would be in 5th instead of 6th running around 65. Guess that is really higher than normal though since I wasn't in 6th.

Sponsored Links