Mishimoto thermostat review

This is a discussion on Mishimoto thermostat review within the F150 Ecoboost Performance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; Summary: avoid if possible Details- approximately 5000 miles on this thermostat (sitting next to a STANT Superstat) The diaphragm (for lack of technical term) material ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Mishimoto thermostat review

Member #
    Liked
    659 times

Summary: avoid if possible

Details- approximately 5000 miles on this thermostat (sitting next to a STANT Superstat)

The diaphragm (for lack of technical term) material appears bonded from top to bottom new. Longevity is not there.
    Bleeder valve is lose, about to fall out.

Left to Right - Stant to Mishimoto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Envious and Mikedick77 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    421 times
    I love my stant superstat. Was idling in 80 degree weather and I peaked at 197 water temp and stayed around 195-196. Turned on AC and it dropped to 193. I also believe it flows more from what @DNA Dan was seeing
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Envious View Post
    I love my stant superstat. Was idling in 80 degree weather and I peaked at 197 water temp and stayed around 195-196. Turned on AC and it dropped to 193. I also believe it flows more from what @DNA Dan was seeing
    Finally got a chance to take a 500 miles trip last weekend on the super stant. While on the highway for extended times, temp range seemed "tighter" and more consistent, right around 195-200. Overall it seems to have lowered the operating temperature of the motor about 5-7 degrees. Before I would cycle between 195-210. This was only in 60 degree weather, so still not sure how it's going to function when challenged with 100 degree heat soak situation. So far it's pointing in the right direction.

I also have the Saudi trans cooler installed. That lowered the trans operating temp 5-10 degrees as well. I could see it get up to 195 then quickly come down to 190. At only $100, that upgrade is a no-brainer - truck should have come with it.

Other than the build quality, how was the opening compared to stock on the Mishimoto stat? How was the regulation of the temperature? This one is colder than stock correct?
    Envious and Mikedick77 like this.
    2012 SCREW Eco FX4 Tuxedo Black, Fully loaded, Max Tow, 3.73 rear.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Firestone Air bags.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    421 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DNA Dan View Post
    I also have the Saudi trans cooler installed. That lowered the trans operating temp 5-10 degrees as well. I could see it get up to 195 then quickly come down to 190. At only $100, that upgrade is a no-brainer - truck should have come with it.
    I don't know why I am seeing such lower temps than you? Cruising I have never hit 200 yet. Peak was like 199. I don't think it could be the Amsoil coolant making such a big difference?

Just got my second Saudi trans cooler in. First one was bent to high hell and finally got a response from Tasca so I ordered from another dealer while I was waiting. Second is in perfect condition.
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    I think they are about the same. I am only a few degrees more than you. I was only checking temps off and on. The trip had some rolling hills so it could have been going up a moderate grade. I never broke 200 significantly, whereas on the stock stat I would routinely be over. I am also on the stock coolant, not that special sauce you got.
    Envious likes this.
    2012 SCREW Eco FX4 Tuxedo Black, Fully loaded, Max Tow, 3.73 rear.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Firestone Air bags.

Member #
    Liked
    421 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DNA Dan View Post
    I think they are about the same. I am only a few degrees more than you. I was only checking temps off and on. The trip had some rolling hills so it could have been going up a moderate grade. I never broke 200 significantly, whereas on the stock stat I would routinely be over. I am also on the stock coolant, not that special sauce you got.
    Fair enough. I was hitting the highway going 80. But still too early to tell. Hopefully we get more good data with just a damn t-stat!
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    869 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ptown View Post
    Summary: avoid if possible

Details- approximately 5000 miles on this thermostat (sitting next to a STANT Superstat)

The diaphragm (for lack of technical term) material appears bonded from top to bottom new. Longevity is not there.
    Bleeder valve is lose, about to fall out.

Left to Right - Stant to Mishimoto

Just curious if you contacted them. It says lifetime warranty on the website.

I happen to be friends with a few of those guys. I'd be surprised if they dont take care of you. Maybe you got a defective unit?
    Envious likes this.
    2013 Tuxedo Black SCrew Ecoboost FX4 w Appearance Package 5.5 box, 3.73. Mods: SCT LWTS+ custom tuned, Full-Race/BorgWarner OEM+ "GT Turbos", Tifosi Exhaust Manifolds, RTR HPFP, CP-E FMIC w/ TurboSmart SuperSonic, CP-E 3" Catted Downpipes, AFE Magnum Force Pro Dry-S Intake, Borla Touring Cat-Back, Terra G2s 305/55/20 on Method N/V 20x9, Leveled Bilstein 5100 RHA 1.5", 20" LED light bar, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Morimoto LED Fogs, Extang Revolution Tonneau Cover, Custom LED bed lighting, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Tailgate Remote Power Lock Mod, MaxLiner Floor Mats, Ford OEM Underseat Cargo Box, LED Interior and Reverse Lights (Diode Dynamics), Recon LED 3rd Brake Light, NL Door Detents, .50 cal antenna, Custom Coding (ForScan)

Member #
    Liked
    421 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostking View Post
    Just curious if you contacted them. It says lifetime warranty on the website.

I happen to be friends with a few of those guys. I'd be surprised if they dont take care of you. Maybe you got a defective unit?
    I'm sure they would. From my experience with them, they are very prompt with their customer service.
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Gold Supporting Member Blown F-150's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    1045 times
    Probably a defective seal or something about the coolant that the seal doesn’t like. Either way, if I was Ptown, I wouldn’t put another one in. They make a mess when swapping and I hate dealing with coolant.

Boostking likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    659 times
    Wasn’t happy how cool it ran honestly so I never considered putting it back. Went back to factory temps

Blown F-150 and TX-Ripper like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links