Catch can first dump after 5 days! - Page 2

Catch can first dump after 5 days!

This is a discussion on Catch can first dump after 5 days! within the F150 Ecoboost Performance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; Originally Posted by Ridgeback825 I don't live in the cold but it's almost over 90% humidity here in Florida. And yes, I'm wierd. Sent from ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Catch can first dump after 5 days!

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3234 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeback825 View Post
    I don't live in the cold but it's almost over 90% humidity here in Florida. And yes, I'm wierd.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Ummmm. I'm pretty sure we weren't referring to you. But thanks for being a good sport about it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Ridgeback825 likes this.
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    448 times
    jk I save mine too
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    With the new port/direct injection, is a catch can really necessary? With straight direct injection I can see it but why on an engine that has the ability to keep the intake valves clean? Personal preference/experience? Curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1220 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Willshire View Post
    With the new port/direct injection, is a catch can really necessary? With straight direct injection I can see it but why on an engine that has the ability to keep the intake valves clean? Personal preference/experience? Curious.

Although a catch can DOES help the valves stay cleaner, it's main point it to capture blow by. Boosted engines will always have more blow by, so yes it is. Oil vapor also hurts combustion, so as much of that as you can keep our going back into cylinder, the better.

Member #
    Liked
    1165 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Nessman View Post
    Can someone explain why so many people keep the contents of their catch can? I just don't get it.

I dump mine in an old gas can with used oil and it gets recycled with my oil every few months.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Cause I always fill my oil containers to the top and there is no room for catch can contents. The contents will go with the oil to get recycled, but I barely drive these days(wife and I both work from home.) We drive MAYBE 10 miles per day, so I produce very little waste oil.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE CAC, CRP Manifolds, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100, AirLift RideControl, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, GTB2060 custom build turbo, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper, 4.10's, Detroit Truetracs F/R

Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    Watery stuff after it separates makes a good weed killer. Just saying
    Last edited by BAD454SS; 06-14-2019 at 09:36 AM.
    2014 FX4Tremor,FullraceDP,Wagner,BBK,Afe CAI,ITV22,MSDcoils,180 thrmostat ,Unleashed 91 tune.
    2010 Raptor ,6.2L, 2.9 Whipple 650 hp kit .MODS everything
    2002 Lightning ,3.4 whipple ,800 RWHP, MODS everything
    1993 454 SS ,502 ci and 2.4 kennebell, 600 rwhp MODS everything
    1979 10th annivesary trans am 400 4spd , 56,000 orig miles, Stock
    1963 Impala 21,000 orig miles
    2015 POLARIS Scrambler 1000,Stock
    1995 BANSHEE ,Not Stock
    1985 Yamaha RZ500 ,4 cylinder2 stroke,12,000 miles , Australia

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WooBoost View Post
    Although a catch can DOES help the valves stay cleaner, it's main point it to capture blow by. Boosted engines will always have more blow by, so yes it is. Oil vapor also hurts combustion, so as much of that as you can keep our going back into cylinder, the better.
    I would think in 2019, 50 years since the recirculating of crankcase oil and 40 years of EGR science, and now, back to port injection, the burning of oil and carbon in the combustion chamber, engineers have this issue contained. Iím all for choice lol. Iíd just be emptying it every time I stopped. If it was a serious problem engineering and R&D would solve it. Ford, Gm etc donít need us coming back for large dollar fixes like the VW gdi system.

Member #
    Liked
    1220 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Willshire View Post
    I would think in 2019, 50 years since the recirculating of crankcase oil and 40 years of EGR science, and now, back to port injection, the burning of oil and carbon in the combustion chamber, engineers have this issue contained. I’m all for choice lol. I’d just be emptying it every time I stopped. If it was a serious problem engineering and R&D would solve it. Ford, Gm etc don’t need us coming back for large dollar fixes like the VW gdi system.

Why did you ask the question and then argue against the answer?

ecoboost does not have an egr, it using the VCT.

PCV recirculating is for emissions only. It is not ideal for combustion. Again, boosted engines have a lot more blow by. A manufacturer will never have a catch can for many reasons. I think BMW has some type of catch can on their v8 twin turbo, that is all i know of. Also BMW owners mostly lease, have work done at BMW and BMW is pretty stringent on service.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Hahaha. devils advocate man. I wasnít arguing. I would call it discussing. Wonít know if I donít ask. If EGR is accomplished through VCT is it not a different answer to the same problem? Like I said, ford installing an injector in the intake port, solves a large amount of the issue with build up on the back of the valves. This is my first Ford man! I gotta ask.

Member #
    Liked
    892 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Nessman View Post
    Can someone explain why so many people keep the contents of their catch can? I just don't get it.

I dump mine in an old gas can with used oil and it gets recycled with my oil every few months.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Itís a matter of...I put this on my truck and look how much stuff it collects. I feel so much better my engine didnít have to burn this. Well thatís what it would be for me if I had one anyways.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links