Cab corner replacement - Page 3

Cab corner replacement

This is a discussion on Cab corner replacement within the F150 Ecoboost Maintenance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; I've seen a lot of rusty dodge ram's, in fact they are the only newer trucks i have seen with rust on them until this ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Cab corner replacement

Member #
    Liked
    575 times
    I've seen a lot of rusty dodge ram's, in fact they are the only newer trucks i have seen with rust on them until this post

Ecoboost Sr Member adkhunter1590's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mmateri View Post
    I've seen a lot of rusty dodge ram's, in fact they are the only newer trucks i have seen with rust on them until this post
    Do you live in the rust belt? I see pretty much every brand rust away here in NY but my F150 is a lot worse than most other rusty F150s I see of the same body style. My neighbor has a 2005 f150 with 320k that has less rust than my 2011. We drive the same roads and he drives more than I do but somehow his truck holds up better.

Iím still trying to figure out if I want to bother replacing the body panels or just let it go and run it until the engine or tranny dies and replace with a new truck at that point. Itís worth nothing with the mileage so Iím not real excited about 4 grand worth of body work.

Member #
    Liked
    2655 times
    Quote Originally Posted by adkhunter1590 View Post
    Do you live in the rust belt? I see pretty much every brand rust away here in NY but my F150 is a lot worse than most other rusty F150s I see of the same body style. My neighbor has a 2005 f150 with 320k that has less rust than my 2011. We drive the same roads and he drives more than I do but somehow his truck holds up better.

Iím still trying to figure out if I want to bother replacing the body panels or just let it go and run it until the engine or tranny dies and replace with a new truck at that point. Itís worth nothing with the mileage so Iím not real excited about 4 grand worth of body work.
    You can see the salt/dirt build up through the hole in your box quarter. A wash a couple times a year might help...

Too late now.
    waterbuffalo likes this.
    2011 XLT Screw 6.5' Box, Tux Black, 4" BDS lift, 34" BFG KO2 tires, 18x8.5" +18 XD spy Wheels, PTM oem Flares. Rampage Slimline nerf bars. 5* Tuned 87 P/T.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    889 times
    I would have to take medication if this was happening to my truck.
    waterbuffalo and Chris H like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2655 times
    Ya eh, my drive side cab corner has a few bubbles but no thru cancer. We have just as much salt here in Ontario as NY.
    2011 XLT Screw 6.5' Box, Tux Black, 4" BDS lift, 34" BFG KO2 tires, 18x8.5" +18 XD spy Wheels, PTM oem Flares. Rampage Slimline nerf bars. 5* Tuned 87 P/T.

Ecoboost Sr Member adkhunter1590's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by winchested View Post
    You can see the salt/dirt build up through the hole in your box quarter. A wash a couple times a year might help...

Too late now.

Washed it plenty. Got it dirty plenty also. I wonít lie itís lived a rough life and gets worked hard. But Iíve done the same thing with all my other trucks and never had the rust this bad at this age and mileage.

I probably just got unlucky and have a bad patch of metal. My paint job sucks also. Iíll take a picture of the back of the cab when it stops raining. The paint has chipped off leaving primer coated metal. A Friday afternoon paint job probably has something to do with the other rust Iím also guessing.

But I do wash it as much as possible in the winter. Itís not always an easy thing to do with long stretches of real cold days.

Member #
    Liked
    1215 times
    wow! that is bad. I am glad i fluid film mine every year.

I wonder how these aluminum trucks will play out. No rust, reliable with maintenance, people won't want to give them up as easy with the exception of better technology.

Member #
    Liked
    2655 times
    Quote Originally Posted by adkhunter1590 View Post
    Washed it plenty. Got it dirty plenty also. I wonít lie itís lived a rough life and gets worked hard. But Iíve done the same thing with all my other trucks and never had the rust this bad at this age and mileage.

I probably just got unlucky and have a bad patch of metal. My paint job sucks also. Iíll take a picture of the back of the cab when it stops raining. The paint has chipped off leaving primer coated metal. A Friday afternoon paint job probably has something to do with the other rust Iím also guessing.

But I do wash it as much as possible in the winter. Itís not always an easy thing to do with long stretches of real cold days.
    Did you ever get it oiled to actually protect the metal?

Member #
    Liked
    365 times

Cab corner replacement

Ya eh, my drive side cab corner has a few bubbles but no thru cancer. We have just as much salt here in Ontario as NY.
    Ya I was going to say just that. Mine was just staring to make water bubbles with some rust leaching out.

On our dirt road they spray chloride down, and would always wash after they spray.

I would also only wash my truck when I am going to drive it on the hwy afterward to dry any residual water (my own, anal, OCD issues).

I know people that drive hwy miles will have less rust, as they dry all the morning dew off the under-body when driving at high speeds, rather than a short, slow commute to work or people that donít drive that much at all.

2012 screw 3.5L

Member #
    Liked
    365 times
    Did you ever get it oiled to actually protect the metal?
    I never did this and I have a 2012 from Detroit.

I wish I would have and my next truck will be getting this treatment.

2012 screw 3.5L

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links