F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 54 of 54 Posts
gonna try this guys trick, along with spraying inside all hole with corrosion inhibitor, or Rust Check. then cover the holes and double check and spray after each season.

gonna try this guys trick, along with spraying inside all hole with corrosion inhibitor, or Rust Check. then cover the holes and double check and spray after each season.

This is what I was referring too earlier about putting the lines further out the hole. Mandatory if you have a sunroof.

I sprayed in my rocker panels 2 years ago now. I have not done it since. I have no sun roof though.

looks like a project is due for me then. go in there re-route the drain lines, blow a bunch of air in there ( corner ) to dry it all out and spray rust check in there. will spray rust check the full length of the rocker...

wow! that is bad. I am glad i fluid film mine every year.

I wonder how these aluminum trucks will play out. No rust, reliable with maintenance, people won't want to give them up as easy with the exception of better technology.
I'm watching, the aluminum bodies on the E450 buses I drive (2010 model) has several pin holes corroded through the sides. Interesting to see if this happens on the F150's.

I'm watching, the aluminum bodies on the E450 buses I drive (2010 model) has several pin holes corroded through the sides. Interesting to see if this happens on the F150's.

No way Aluminum doesn't rust though.....

Nope it just oxidizes and salt eats it just as quick as steel! Ever seen a set of nice alum rims all pitted and eaten by salt lol.

No way Aluminum doesn't rust though.....

Nope it just oxidizes and salt eats it just as quick as steel! Ever seen a set of nice alum rims all pitted and eaten by salt lol.
I always thought of "rust" as the special case of oxidation of steel or iron. Other metals either oxidized or corroded.

I think that's what he's saying. No, it doesn't rust, but it still corrodes and ends up in a similar way.

Baaaaaaaaaaa
ya, I understood what winchested was saying. Just hear people using rust and corrosion interchangeable.

has any one thought to scope the rockers and cab corners. Be interesting to see what's there.

Steel and alum both suffer from a form of oxidation, one rusts, and the other just oxidizes. Steel will Rust, pit, and will go deep enough to affect the other side. Aluminum will corrode like steel but it’s just layers on the surface and don’t spread like steel will, usually it will just be on the surface and spread at a very slow rate.

2012 Screw 3.5L

Yeah I'd take the corrosion from aluminum over rusting through for steel if I absolutely had to take one or the other. In my neck of the woods neither is really a problem. My '87 f250 still has no rust.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

I just got my 2012 back from rear cab corner and rocker panel replacement. My friend at the shop showed me the corners; there was a foam installed there to make for a more quiet ride that trapped moisture. Original Ford parts have the corners separate from the rockers. I needed all 4 but he found a company that makes it all in one piece per side. Rockers were horrendous too.

Discussion starter · #54 ·
I just got my 2012 back from rear cab corner and rocker panel replacement. My friend at the shop showed me the corners; there was a foam installed there to make for a more quiet ride that trapped moisture. Original Ford parts have the corners separate from the rockers. I needed all 4 but he found a company that makes it all in one piece per side. Rockers were horrendous too.
Glad that is over with for you! What did it cost to have fixed?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.