Transmission Cooler Return Line Replacement

This is a discussion on Transmission Cooler Return Line Replacement within the F150 Ecoboost Maintenance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; The return line from the driver's side bottom of the radiator has corroded and has developed a leak. I have a new line and plastic ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Transmission Cooler Return Line Replacement

Member #
    Liked
    97 times

The return line from the driver's side bottom of the radiator has corroded and has developed a leak. I have a new line and plastic retainer clip coming tomorrow. The line runs across the bottom of the rad to the passenger side where there is a grey plastic snap retainer clip fitting holding the lines together. Is there a tool to remove the plastic retainer or can it be easily removed with a prying tool (pick tool, screwdriver etc)? Here is another member's pic (Quinnford) showing the plastic piece I'm talking about. I have to remove the line that Quinnford was repairing. Retaining clip in red circle;

Name:  Trans cooler line disconnect.jpeg
Views: 306
Size:  240.7 KB
    Last edited by Beaker80; 09-27-2018 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Credit Quinnford for the picture.
    2011 FX2 Natural Gas Conversion, Line X bed liner, Tonneau Tri Fold, Weathertech Mud Flaps, Under Bumper LED Reverse Lights, Dual Remote Oil Filter, RX Catch Can, LED Head Lights & Driving Lights, Clear Turn Bulbs, Kicker Upgraded Stereo, USB II Mod, Boost Gauge, 3DXpider Floor Mats, Hood Protector, Vent Shades, LED Interior Lights, Scan Gauge II, Upgraded Smartphone Remote Start, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Drilled CAC Weep Hole thru Support.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    without having actual experience with this part i will say it looks like it can just pried/pulled off, possibly by hand.
    2018 F-150 STX, Supercab with Leer topper, 6.5 bed. 3.5, Magnetic Gray, Hellwig helpers and Bilstein 5100

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    Did some more searching. Looks like the grey plastic retainer pops off then I'll need a disconnect tool to release the inner connection. Princess Auto carry different tool sets. I'll check them out tomorrow as their store is just up the road from my Ford dealer.
    2011 FX2 Natural Gas Conversion, Line X bed liner, Tonneau Tri Fold, Weathertech Mud Flaps, Under Bumper LED Reverse Lights, Dual Remote Oil Filter, RX Catch Can, LED Head Lights & Driving Lights, Clear Turn Bulbs, Kicker Upgraded Stereo, USB II Mod, Boost Gauge, 3DXpider Floor Mats, Hood Protector, Vent Shades, LED Interior Lights, Scan Gauge II, Upgraded Smartphone Remote Start, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Drilled CAC Weep Hole thru Support.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    206 times
    I *think* those are somewhat similar to a fuel line. The retainer gets popped off, then you need a tool that slides around the male side and up into the connector, releasing the inner latch.
    noodles likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1734 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker80 View Post
    Did some more searching. Looks like the grey plastic retainer pops off then I'll need a disconnect tool to release the inner connection. Princess Auto carry different tool sets. I'll check them out tomorrow as their store is just up the road from my Ford dealer.
    I'm with @tvsjr. The connection looks a lot like fuel line disconnects. Princess auto should have different sets available. No need to get too fancy on the tools.
    I have an older blue-point set and they're made of plastic.
    I'd spray some brake clean before you brake the connection in case there's some dirt in there.
    Also, it helps to pull the big line toward the disconnect tool as you insert it (hope that makes sense).
    Beaker80 likes this.
    13 SuperCrew Ruby Red 302A, 4x4 6.5 box, 3.31, Roush 22's. Twin catch cans, "leveled" with Bilsteins (-2 front, -3 rear), AirLift, SCT. Other's may have displacement on demand... I have an endless supply of torque at my right foot's demand.

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    I'm with @tvsjr. The connection looks a lot like fuel line disconnects. Princess auto should have different sets available. No need to get too fancy on the tools.
    I have an older blue-point set and they're made of plastic.
    I'd spray some brake clean before you brake the connection in case there's some dirt in there.
    Also, it helps to pull the big line toward the disconnect tool as you insert it (hope that makes sense).
    Definitely going to clean out around the connection first with some brake cleaner and compressed air.
    I just wish Ford (and others) would make lines like this out of stainless but it's a cost-driven argument.
    Also going to pick up a litre of Mercon LV when I'm at the dealers. Not sure how much I've lost as this line is only pressurized when the thermo valve in the trans opens.

Member #
    Liked
    258 times
    I suspect that line has pressure all the time when the engine is running and the thermostat is inside the transmission on the return side. When the stat opens, the fluid is already pressurized and ready to provide cooling through the front cooler.

This video shows how you can pull that hose and dump the trans fluid. It doesn't look like the truck is hot for the valve to be open, nor does the author talk about defeating the thermostat. At about 2:52 he describes how to pull your hose in question.

2012 SCREW Eco FX4 Tuxedo Black, Fully loaded, Max Tow, 3.73 rear.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Firestone Air bags.

Member #
    Liked
    1078 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DNA Dan View Post
    I suspect that line has pressure all the time when the engine is running and the thermostat is inside the transmission on the return side. When the stat opens, the fluid is already pressurized and ready to provide cooling through the front cooler.

This video shows how you can pull that hose and dump the trans fluid. It doesn't look like the truck is hot for the valve to be open, nor does the author talk about defeating the thermostat. At about 2:52 he describes how to pull your hose in question.

This is how I did my wifes Legacy. I added fluid as the old fluid came out.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    You will need the disconnect tool. There is no other way to separate it.
    Www.punishervalvebodies.com
    custom E4OD and 4R100 Valve bodies

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    DNA Dan Thanks for the video. I wish my truck was that clean underneath! The disconnect tools I found did not work as they are not intended for newer transmission lines (no clearance for the second ridge ring on the pipe). I will try to locate the correct tool tomorrow at either NAPA or B&B Dixon. Princess Auto and Canadian Tire only have disconnect tools for AC and Fuel lines even though they say they will work on transmission lines. Must be older style trans lines. If all else fails I have a local transmission shop that will change it (at a cost of course).
    noodles likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links