Trans fluid question: OEM vs Amsoil - Page 2

Trans fluid question: OEM vs Amsoil

This is a discussion on Trans fluid question: OEM vs Amsoil within the F150 Ecoboost Maintenance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; Originally Posted by mj0528 So do you just drop and then put the same amount back in after it's all snug up? I have a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Trans fluid question: OEM vs Amsoil

Member #
    Liked
    207 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mj0528 View Post
    So do you just drop and then put the same amount back in after it's all snug up?

I have a mightyvac that I think I can use to expel and use to put back in but the location of the stick and getting the right level by checking when warm doesn't excite me too much. Checking when cold was a pain. What a dumb idea not to have a dipstick that you can reach from under the hood. Those extensions look good but it's a point of failure

I had the roll pin TSB and the paperwork said 7 quarts to replace what came out so at 34k miles, it should still be pretty fresh

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Dropped the pan, serviced it, replaced the screen, fixed the gasket that the quickie-lube place jacked up (this is why you don't let most women have vehicles serviced... sigh), reinstalled the pan, then adjusted the fluid based on the dipstick. I did check it hot, but wore an old/out-of-certification pair of structural fire gloves to do it. On the Expedition at least, you've got a handful of inches between the plug and a cat. Total engineering fail.

Now, the same vehicle has a leak in that stupid bulkhead connector... so in the near future, I've got to drop it and do it all again. At least I put a reusable gasket on it.

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    The 6R80 holds 12.4 (13.1 quarts) TOTAL liters. When you drop the pan and filter you only get 6 - 7 liters (quarts) out. The other 6 - 7 is still in the system. Look in your owners manual.
    2011 FX2 Natural Gas Conversion, Line X bed liner, Tonneau Tri Fold, Weathertech Mud Flaps, Under Bumper LED Reverse Lights, Dual Remote Oil Filter, RX Catch Can, LED Head Lights & Driving Lights, Clear Turn Bulbs, Kicker Upgraded Stereo, USB II Mod, Boost Gauge, 3DXpider Floor Mats, Hood Protector, Vent Shades, LED Interior Lights, Scan Gauge II, Upgraded Smartphone Remote Start, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Drilled CAC Weep Hole thru Support.

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    If you had the roll pin TSB done, you have a completely different transmission. This discussion is about the 6R80, you have the 10R80.

Quote Originally Posted by mj0528 View Post
    So do you just drop and then put the same amount back in after it's all snug up?

I have a mightyvac that I think I can use to expel and use to put back in but the location of the stick and getting the right level by checking when warm doesn't excite me too much. Checking when cold was a pain. What a dumb idea not to have a dipstick that you can reach from under the hood. Those extensions look good but it's a point of failure

I had the roll pin TSB and the paperwork said 7 quarts to replace what came out so at 34k miles, it should still be pretty fresh

-2016 XLT (XTR) 3.5 ecoboost supercrew 6.5' box, max tow, line-x, Bakflip MX4, Firestone ride-rite airbags, Vantech Rack, Alpine PWE-S8 Sub.
    -2019 Open Range UT2504BH.

-Sold: 2009 XLT (XTR pkg) supercrew 5.4l 6sp 6.5ft bed. 131k miles, Rider Topper, Ride Rite airbags, Ford well liners, 5Star custom Tune.
    -Sold: 2010 Funfinder 189FDS
    -Sold: 2005 R-Vision Bantam Flyer F18 Hybrid

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TCP2 View Post
    If you had the roll pin TSB done, you have a completely different transmission. This discussion is about the 6R80, you have the 10R80.
    Yes, 10R80 but isn't the process the same?

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    The process is the same BUT the 10R80 uses Mercon ULV fluid which is about half the viscosity of Mercon LV.Capacity is about 13 quarts. The pan is composite not metal like the 6R80. Here's an interesting pdf I found ;

https://www.f150forum.com/attachment...-odMls1EbOUWel
    mj0528 likes this.
    2011 FX2 Natural Gas Conversion, Line X bed liner, Tonneau Tri Fold, Weathertech Mud Flaps, Under Bumper LED Reverse Lights, Dual Remote Oil Filter, RX Catch Can, LED Head Lights & Driving Lights, Clear Turn Bulbs, Kicker Upgraded Stereo, USB II Mod, Boost Gauge, 3DXpider Floor Mats, Hood Protector, Vent Shades, LED Interior Lights, Scan Gauge II, Upgraded Smartphone Remote Start, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Drilled CAC Weep Hole thru Support.

Gold Supporting Member Blown F-150's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    1045 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown F-150 View Post
    Lunch and Paw Patrol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '

Wow, Sorry @Envious I have no idea how that response got here. Must have been texting the Wife at the same time I was on Tapatalk.

As for the actual thread topic, I seriously looked at going Aimsoil for the fluid swap I did, but in the end felt that Mercon LV seems to be holding up fine.

I really like Aimsoil products, but certain things I'm just a diehard for OEM.

Member #
    Liked
    421 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown F-150 View Post
    '

Wow, Sorry @Envious I have no idea how that response got here. Must have been texting the Wife at the same time I was on Tapatalk.

As for the actual thread topic, I seriously looked at going Aimsoil for the fluid swap I did, but in the end felt that Mercon LV seems to be holding up fine.

I really like Aimsoil products, but certain things I'm just a diehard for OEM.
    It made me laugh. We mentioned paw patrol on another thread we were talking with each other on, but I can't remember the context. I did end up ordering Amsoil. A lot of guys over on BITOG forum said between Amsoil and Red Line you can't go wrong. Both are great options and work very well. LV is good fluid. The dye wears out quickly. But as far as the motocraft oil I will not use that.
    Blown F-150 and snakebitten like this.
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Envious View Post
    It made me laugh. We mentioned paw patrol on another thread we were talking with each other on, but I can't remember the context. I did end up ordering Amsoil. A lot of guys over on BITOG forum said between Amsoil and Red Line you can't go wrong. Both are great options and work very well. LV is good fluid. The dye wears out quickly. But as far as the motocraft oil I will not use that.
    Is Amsoil compatible to Mercon ULV? I can't find any data to show it is. It is compatible to Mercon LV. ULV is at least 40% thinner than LV.

From an article I read on Fordauthority.com ;

Finally, for the new 10R80 automatic, Ford has formulated a new automatic transmission fluid called Mercon ULV, which is far thinner than its predecessors. According to C/D, where 7.5 centistokes was a reasonable viscosity when 4-speed autos were in-vogue, Mercon ULV has a rating of only 4.5 centistokes.

Member #
    Liked
    421 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker80 View Post
    Is Amsoil compatible to Mercon ULV? I can't find any data to show it is. It is compatible to Mercon LV. ULV is at least 40% thinner than LV.

From an article I read on Fordauthority.com ;

Finally, for the new 10R80 automatic, Ford has formulated a new automatic transmission fluid called Mercon ULV, which is far thinner than its predecessors. According to C/D, where 7.5 centistokes was a reasonable viscosity when 4-speed autos were in-vogue, Mercon ULV has a rating of only 4.5 centistokes.
    Yes it is compatible but it is not approved* So it will work. If you go to amsoil and type in your truck and find products. It will show you the atf and if you look at the page it should say it works with LV
    Beaker80 likes this.
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Is there really a reason to change brands of oil when you are leaving half of the old stuff in there? I feel like you would lose most of whatever the benefits are for the fancier oil. Most situations I feel like there is better oil than OEM, but I just don't see it if its mixed with old OEM oil.
    Beaker80 likes this.
    5Star Tune: 87 Perf/Tow, 91 Perf/Tow and 91 Perf; 1000 lbs SumoSprings; KO2 Tires; K&N filter replacement; BOV mod; SOLO MACH-46 4" Cat-Back; Febreeze new car scent air freshener

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links