Walnut blasting!

Walnut blasting!

This is a discussion on Walnut blasting! within the F150 Ecoboost Maintenance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; Hello everyone, let me introduce myself as Mike, I am posting this to gauge interest in seeing how many of you would like to have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Walnut blasting!

  1. #1
    Rookie BoostIsLife's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    9
    Member #
    70242
    Liked
    6 times

    Walnut blasting!

    Hello everyone, let me introduce myself as Mike, I am posting this to gauge interest in seeing how many of you would like to have your Ecoboost intake valves walnut blasted by yours truly. I already have a couple of local guys by me that are interested in having it done, and will try to use the best process possible on those two before continuing to actually offer this service to any of you.

    I am coming from the BMW N54/N55(135,335,535etc) platform and have completed this process on many of those cars, and I even had the pleasure of cleaning the valves on an Audi R8 V10.

    I uploaded a few pictures from 3 of the many jobs I have already done.
    The first set(5) of pictures provided are from an N54 with about 85k miles on it, the cleaning also resolved a jumpy idle issue on this specific car, customer was pleased with the throttle response as well.
    The second set(5) are from the R8 that I had done for a friend. This car had only about 32k miles, I only had 1 before pic so the other 3 are of different valves. This was a fun one to clean to say the least(sarcasm).
    The last set(7) of pictures are from my personal 335Xi(N54) which had about 46k miles when done, in this set I include a look at the throttle body being before and after as well.

    EVERY engine that gets this process done gets new intake manifold gaskets and a new throttle body gasket. I also take into consideration when removing various sensors, to clean those as well before reinstalling everything.

    For anyone curious, I do this mainly as a side/weekend job out of my own garage as I am currently serving full time in the military. I am located near Omaha, Nebraska but I will be moving back North East, specifically close to Scranton, Pennsylvania, as I will be separating and transitioning back into the civilian world in about a year. If there is enough interest I will continue to offer this after all is said and done. Pricing I can not say for sure yet as I have not done one of these engines, but will estimate at $350. Each cleaning takes anywhere from 4-6 hours on the cars I have done in the past.
    When I complete my first one I will post before and after pictures and will set price accordingly.
    As I said earlier this is mainly a feeler as I am trying to see how many of you actually want to get this cleaning done before I offer it to you all. So let's see a raise of hands that want to see their own valves this shinyName:  20180505_201314_1550571651112.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  879.1 KB! Thanks for reading if you made it this far.Name:  FB_IMG_1550568581896_1550571444764.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  51.5 KBName:  20180505_201314_1550571651112.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  879.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Purefection's Avatar
    Gold Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Manitoooba
    Posts
    761
    Member #
    65694
    Liked
    326 times
    Just an FYI, Mike has messaged me before posting this, asking for permission. If anyone has an issue with this please let me know! Thanks everyone

  3. #3
    Rookie BoostIsLife's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    9
    Member #
    70242
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Purefection View Post
    Just an FYI, Mike has messaged me before posting this, asking for permission. If anyone has an issue with this please let me know! Thanks everyone
    Thanks again for your help!

  4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

  5. #4
    Ecoboost Master ptown's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,449
    Member #
    16165
    Liked
    626 times
    Results look pretty unarguable to me


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #5
    Ecoboost Veteran Beaker80's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    290
    Member #
    2199
    Liked
    96 times
    Subscribed. I'm a firm believer in walnut blasting. I have been researching this since I bought my Ecoboost in 2011. In 2012 it was converted to dual fuel natural gas and at that time it only had 14K Km's on it and was already showing carbon formation! It hasn't been opened up since then and now has 150K Km's. The natural gas is injected as a port injection so I'm interested to see if that and an RX catch can has limited the carbon build up.

    I already have a media blaster, intake port adaptor, shop vac, 60 gal shop compressor etc. I plan to do a bore scope inspection first and then follow up with cleaning.

    BoostIsLife; Good luck and I hope you are successful. Direct Injection engines need this service.

    P.S. I also have a 2006 VW TDI with 300K Km's that needs the turbo replaced so I will also be cleaning that one as they are notorious for clogged EGR system and intake.
    2011 FX2 Natural Gas Conversion, Line X bed liner, Tonneau Tri Fold, Weathertech Mud Flaps, Under Bumper LED Reverse Lights, Dual Remote Oil Filter, RX Catch Can, LED Head Lights & Driving Lights, Clear Turn Bulbs, Kicker Upgraded Stereo, USB II Mod, Boost Gauge, 3DXpider Floor Mats, Hood Protector, Vent Shades, LED Interior Lights, Scan Gauge II, Upgraded Smartphone Remote Start, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Drilled CAC Weep Hole thru Support.

  7. #6
    Rookie BoostIsLife's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    9
    Member #
    70242
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker80 View Post
    Subscribed. I'm a firm believer in walnut blasting. I have been researching this since I bought my Ecoboost in 2011. In 2012 it was converted to dual fuel natural gas and at that time it only had 14K Km's on it and was already showing carbon formation! It hasn't been opened up since then and now has 150K Km's. The natural gas is injected as a port injection so I'm interested to see if that and an RX catch can has limited the carbon build up.

    I already have a media blaster, intake port adaptor, shop vac, 60 gal shop compressor etc. I plan to do a bore scope inspection first and then follow up with cleaning.

    BoostIsLife; Good luck and I hope you are successful. Direct Injection engines need this service.

    P.S. I also have a 2006 VW TDI with 300K Km's that needs the turbo replaced so I will also be cleaning that one as they are notorious for clogged EGR system and intake.
    Thank you very much for the kind words, hopefully I can get a large enough amount of people wanting this done. Good luck on your endeavors and if you ever would like advice or any know how message me any time, I've seen my fair share of carbon build up haha. I may even start making adapters to fit the intake ports to make the process easier if people want to do.

  8. #7
    Ecoboost Veteran TCP2's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    AB
    Posts
    303
    Member #
    36866
    Liked
    134 times
    While there may be a bit of buildup, the ecoboost line of engines aren't prone to major coking issues. I've posted this before (post #24 and 25), but ford spent quite a bit of time addressing this issue using valve overlap and injection timing. I wish you the best of luck, and am all for keeping your truck as maintained as you want, but I also detest fear mongering and preying on people who don't know better ( I have a serious hatred for "service writers" who basically just got paroled from their fraud convictions). Early DI VWs, Audi and BMWs are certainly problem engines and can use this, but overall Ford's ecoboosts are not at all in the same category. There are definitely trucks out there with more blow-by than others and there are owners that want to keep their trucks in like-new condition. Your service offers that. Good luck.

    Before we get into the "but ford uses dual injection now" argument, there are multiple reasons for dual injection, only one of which is buildup:

    Last edited by TCP2; 02-19-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    winchested and Purefection like this.
    -2016 XLT (XTR) 3.5 ecoboost supercrew 6.5' box, max tow, line-x, Bakflip MX4, Firestone ride-rite airbags, Vantech Rack, Alpine PWE-S8 Sub.
    -2019 Open Range UT2504BH.

    -Sold: 2009 XLT (XTR pkg) supercrew 5.4l 6sp 6.5ft bed. 131k miles, Rider Topper, Ride Rite airbags, Ford well liners, 5Star custom Tune.
    -Sold: 2010 Funfinder 189FDS
    -Sold: 2005 R-Vision Bantam Flyer F18 Hybrid

  9. #8
    Rookie BoostIsLife's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    9
    Member #
    70242
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TCP2 View Post
    While there may be a bit of buildup, the ecoboost line of engines aren't prone to major coking issues. I've posted this before (post #24 and 25), but ford spent quite a bit of time addressing this issue using valve overlap and injection timing. I wish you the best of luck, and am all for keeping your truck as maintained as you want, but I also detest fear mongering and preying on people who don't know better ( I have a serious hatred for "service writers" who basically just got paroled from their fraud convictions). Early DI VWs, Audi and BMWs are certainly problem engines and can use this, but overall Ford's ecoboosts are not at all in the same category. There are definitely trucks out there with more blow-by than others and there are owners that want to keep their trucks in like-new condition. Your service offers that. Good luck.

    Before we get into the "but ford uses dual injection now" argument, there are multiple reasons for dual injection, only one of which is buildup:

    Thanks for your concern, I hope I don't seem like im coming off as bringing the end of everyone's ecoboost, this was never my intention as I am not a fan of preying on people for money as you would see at your local dealer or shop. That is why all the jobs I do are only about $300-$400, there is no reason it should be higher, but if you call your local BMW dealer, you will get a jaw dropping quote of $900-$1200.
    Even the Audi R8 that I cleaned, he got a quote from Audi at $1800-$2600!(depending on what would need to be replaced on their terms). It blows my mind that anyone would pay this insane amount.
    So again, I hope no one is pressured to do this, but it is definitely something people want done, or I would not be here in the first place, as I have already been questioned about it.

  10. #9
    Ecoboost Pro DNA Dan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Hamilton, MT
    Posts
    771
    Member #
    61281
    Liked
    240 times
    I did mine with a gun cleaning kit, two cans of CRC gdi cleaner, carb spray and a brake bleeder siphon. Spent about $80 tops. That said, it was a messy, crappy job to do, but my results were very similar to yours. What I am interested in however with the walnut blasting is that margin of gunk at the valve seat. I have seen other walnut jobs that get at this. Why does this still appear in your photos? is this a function on what nozzle you use for the blasting? Seems like it should be better than this if you're blasting it.
    2012 SCREW Eco FX4 Tuxedo Black, Fully loaded, Max Tow, 3.73 rear.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Rear blocks removed, Firestone Air bags.

  11. #10
    Rookie BoostIsLife's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    9
    Member #
    70242
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DNA Dan View Post
    I did mine with a gun cleaning kit, two cans of CRC gdi cleaner, carb spray and a brake bleeder siphon. Spent about $80 tops. That said, it was a messy, crappy job to do, but my results were very similar to yours. What I am interested in however with the walnut blasting is that margin of gunk at the valve seat. I have seen other walnut jobs that get at this. Why does this still appear in your photos? is this a function on what nozzle you use for the blasting? Seems like it should be better than this if you're blasting it.
    That is the result of some very hard built up carbon, it was cleaned after with a mix of chemical and scraping, which I integrate into my process as well, it is not only walnut blasted to get spotless.
    Envious likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. DIY Walnut Blasting on Intake Valves
    By jmercil in forum F150 Ecoboost Problems
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-03-2016, 09:24 AM
  2. Valve cleaning - Walnut blasting service in central Texas***
    By BoostedBlue in forum F150 Ecoboost Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-24-2016, 07:58 AM
  3. Who offers walnut blasting service?
    By BlakeJ in forum F150 Ecoboost Maintenance
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-28-2015, 05:58 PM
  4. Intake Walnut Blasting Service
    By Brandon22685 in forum F150 Ecoboost Chat
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 10-12-2014, 08:47 AM
Connect with us: F150 Ecoboost Forum on Twitter F150 Ecoboost Forum on Facebook F150 Ecoboost Forum RSS Feed
Find us on Google+