Dont know where to go next problem will the MAF and codes - Page 2

Dont know where to go next problem will the MAF and codes

This is a discussion on Dont know where to go next problem will the MAF and codes within the F150 Ecoboost Maintenance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; Thank you for clarifying that. It's funny the parts guy a Ford said it was a MAF sensor when they ordered a new one for ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Dont know where to go next problem will the MAF and codes

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Thank you for clarifying that. It's funny the parts guy a Ford said it was a MAF sensor when they ordered a new one for me.
    Max

Code Enforcement Officer. USCG Ret.

2012 Gem Green XLT.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    889 times
    I'm sorry if I wasnt clear. You may very well have a MAF sensor. However, a MAF sensor also traditionally houses an IAT sensor. In the early production of the F150 Ecoboost, Ford used a MAF sensor, but really only utilized the IAT sensor built in. Kinda a waste. MAF is usually used to measure airflow, but this PCM doesnt utilize that.

From a tuning perspective, your PCM should have zero MAF signal, but always have an IAT sensor signal. Perhaps I'm a bit out of my realm here because mine is a 2013 with only MAP/TIP sensors with integrated IAT sensors. I am a bit confused on how it would trip a MAF related code if the PCM is only pinned for the IAT sensor to be of any use. I know there is no MAF transfer function on any EcoBoost calibration I've ever seen.

Point is I was merely making sure it was understood that the MAF does not actually read airflow on these trucks, seems like Ford was borrowing from the parts bin in the early F150 Eco's. Who knows really. Hope you do find a solution and post it back here.
    snakebitten likes this.
    2013 Tuxedo Black SCrew Ecoboost FX4 w Appearance Package 5.5 box, 3.73. Mods: SCT LWTS+ custom tuned, Full-Race/BorgWarner OEM+ "GT Turbos", Tifosi Exhaust Manifolds, RTR HPFP, CP-E FMIC w/ TurboSmart SuperSonic, CP-E 3" Catted Downpipes, AFE Magnum Force Pro Dry-S Intake, Borla Touring Cat-Back, Terra G2s 305/55/20 on Method N/V 20x9, Leveled Bilstein 5100 RHA 1.5", 20" LED light bar, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Morimoto LED Fogs, Extang Revolution Tonneau Cover, Custom LED bed lighting, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Tailgate Remote Power Lock Mod, MaxLiner Floor Mats, Ford OEM Underseat Cargo Box, LED Interior and Reverse Lights (Diode Dynamics), Recon LED 3rd Brake Light, NL Door Detents, .50 cal antenna, Custom Coding (ForScan)

Member #
    Liked
    1741 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostking View Post
    I'm sorry if I wasnt clear. You may very well have a MAF sensor. However, a MAF sensor also traditionally houses an IAT sensor. In the early production of the F150 Ecoboost, Ford used a MAF sensor, but really only utilized the IAT sensor built in. Kinda a waste. MAF is usually used to measure airflow, but this PCM doesnt utilize that.

From a tuning perspective, your PCM should have zero MAF signal, but always have an IAT sensor signal. Perhaps I'm a bit out of my realm here because mine is a 2013 with only MAP/TIP sensors with integrated IAT sensors. I am a bit confused on how it would trip a MAF related code if the PCM is only pinned for the IAT sensor to be of any use. I know there is no MAF transfer function on any EcoBoost calibration I've ever seen.

Point is I was merely making sure it was understood that the MAF does not actually read airflow on these trucks, seems like Ford was borrowing from the parts bin in the early F150 Eco's. Who knows really. Hope you do find a solution and post it back here.
    The OP just had his trans recall flash performed. From what I gather, he's getting the codes after the re-flash... I wonder if it's possible the new calibration is corrupt.
    13 SuperCrew Ruby Red 302A, 4x4 6.5 box, 3.31, Roush 22's. Twin catch cans, "leveled" with Bilsteins (-2 front, -3 rear), AirLift, SCT. Other's may have displacement on demand... I have an endless supply of torque at my right foot's demand.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    889 times
    I know it sucks, but since it happened following the recall reflash, I would take it back and ask that they help figure it out. This is quite the odd one to have.

Generally speaking, there really cant be a "corrupt flash" and you still drive your vehicle. The data is checksummed in several areas and the PCM has to see that all check sums are correct or it will not even let the engine run. For example, if I write you a custom tune, the checksums are corrected by the device and entered in. If we didnt do that, the custom tune would load, but the PCM would say NOPE and not allow you to start.
    2013 Tuxedo Black SCrew Ecoboost FX4 w Appearance Package 5.5 box, 3.73. Mods: SCT LWTS+ custom tuned, Full-Race/BorgWarner OEM+ "GT Turbos", Tifosi Exhaust Manifolds, RTR HPFP, CP-E FMIC w/ TurboSmart SuperSonic, CP-E 3" Catted Downpipes, AFE Magnum Force Pro Dry-S Intake, Borla Touring Cat-Back, Terra G2s 305/55/20 on Method N/V 20x9, Leveled Bilstein 5100 RHA 1.5", 20" LED light bar, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Morimoto LED Fogs, Extang Revolution Tonneau Cover, Custom LED bed lighting, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Tailgate Remote Power Lock Mod, MaxLiner Floor Mats, Ford OEM Underseat Cargo Box, LED Interior and Reverse Lights (Diode Dynamics), Recon LED 3rd Brake Light, NL Door Detents, .50 cal antenna, Custom Coding (ForScan)

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    ok I give up replaced the MAP sensor in the air cleaner, cleaned the two remaining MAP sensors and replaced the Purge valve. Cleaned the gas filler door, drove it for about 60 miles codes went away got to a 1/4 tank of gas came back on. Filled up came on for about 20 miles reset the codes and now it off. Going to make an appointment with Ford and find out what is going on. Thanks for the info.
    Max

2012 Gem Green XLT.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Update we'll after several hours of chasing wires to no avail I purchased the Purge valve that is in the box under the truck at $78. Pulled the old one and put in the new one reset the codes and after 700 miles the codes have a not come back keeping my fingers crossed.
    Last edited by mamaxwell; 06-03-2019 at 04:06 PM.
    snakebitten likes this.
    Max

2012 Gem Green XLT.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    What purge valve did you replace under truck? Do you have a part number?

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Yes the Purge selonid as Ford calls it is located on the driver's side under the door on the frame in a black box. The part number is 9U5Z 9F945F. Simple to remove it twists to unlock, pull it out it does take some effort to get it out. Unplug the connector install in reverse order.
    Last edited by mamaxwell; 06-10-2019 at 09:20 PM.
    Max

2012 Gem Green XLT.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links