Dont know where to go next problem will the MAF and codes

This is a discussion on Dont know where to go next problem will the MAF and codes within the F150 Ecoboost Maintenance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; I have a 2012 3.5 after Ford did the reflash of the transmission I started getting the MAF sensor code. Changed the sensor in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Dont know where to go next problem will the MAF and codes

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

I have a 2012 3.5 after Ford did the reflash of the transmission I started getting the MAF sensor code. Changed the sensor in the air cleaner and cleaned the other two. seamed to run good no codes. Stopped and fueled up and the codes are back. Any ideas what to check. Do I need to change the other two sensors?
    Max

Code Enforcement Officer. USCG Ret.

2012 Gem Green XLT.

Member #
    Liked
    1734 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaxwell View Post
    I have a 2012 3.5 after Ford did the reflash of the transmission I started getting the MAF sensor code. Changed the sensor in the air cleaner and cleaned the other two. seamed to run good no codes. Stopped and fueled up and the codes are back. Any ideas what to check. Do I need to change the other two sensors?
    You have no MAF on your truck... what codes are you getting?
    13 SuperCrew Ruby Red 302A, 4x4 6.5 box, 3.31, Roush 22's. Twin catch cans, "leveled" with Bilsteins (-2 front, -3 rear), AirLift, SCT. Other's may have displacement on demand... I have an endless supply of torque at my right foot's demand.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I am getting P0104 and P0446. According to the code reader P0104 is a MAF sensor and P0046 EVAP control system. I changed the sensor in the air cleaner.
    Max

2012 Gem Green XLT.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1734 times
    I am getting P0104 and P0446. According to the code reader P0104 is a MAF sensor and P0046 EVAP control system. I changed the sensor in the air cleaner.
    P0104 definitely is a MAF code, but your sensor at the filter is only used for air temp monitoring. Check the condition of wiring and connector. (there is a code that pops up in regards to this, but I don't believe it's P0104).
    2011 was the only year that used a MAF, and even that one is debatable if the sensor is even used as a MAF.

P0446 is EVAP related... could be caused by vacuum leak, dirty fuel filler neck (flap), purge solenoid, etc.

If everything was fine before the reflash, I wonder if the new calibration is corrupt.

Good luck, and report back with update.
    Last edited by noodles; 05-20-2019 at 04:56 PM.
    snakebitten likes this.
    13 SuperCrew Ruby Red 302A, 4x4 6.5 box, 3.31, Roush 22's. Twin catch cans, "leveled" with Bilsteins (-2 front, -3 rear), AirLift, SCT. Other's may have displacement on demand... I have an endless supply of torque at my right foot's demand.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Just to let you know there are three MAF sensors on the 2012 3.5. The one in the air filter may be a air temp but there is one on the intake pipe on the front of the engine and one on top of the engine. I have cleaned the filler cap door and checked for vacum leaks. Can't find the Purge valve but will continue to look. Thanks for the input,correct
    Last edited by mamaxwell; 05-21-2019 at 07:20 AM. Reason: corrections
    Max

2012 Gem Green XLT.

Member #
    Liked
    1734 times
    Just to let you know there are three MAF sensors on the 2012 3.5. The one in the air filter may be a air temp but there is one on the intake pipe on the front on the front of the engine and one on top of the engine. I have cleaned the filler cap door and checked for vacum leaks. Can't find the Purge valve but will continue to look. Thanks for the input,
    Which one of these does your sensor at the airbox look like?Name:  MAP sensor.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  28.8 KBName:  MAF sensor.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  23.4 KB

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    858 times
    MAF sensor (2011) is not used to read air flow, but rather Air Temp. I've even "heard" of a few 2012's with the MAF as well.

Eventually Ford completely switched to only MAP and IAT sensors.

These are speed density vehicles, so the MAF (even if it exist), is only used for reading air temp, not flow. Just fyi.
    snakebitten and noodles like this.
    2013 Tuxedo Black SCrew Ecoboost FX4 w Appearance Package 5.5 box, 3.73. Mods: SCT LWTS+ custom tuned, Full-Race/BorgWarner OEM+ "GT Turbos", Tifosi Exhaust Manifolds, RTR HPFP, CP-E FMIC w/ TurboSmart SuperSonic, CP-E 3" Catted Downpipes, AFE Magnum Force Pro Dry-S Intake, Borla Touring Cat-Back, Terra G2s 305/55/20 on Method N/V 20x9, Leveled Bilstein 5100 RHA 1.5", 20" LED light bar, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Morimoto LED Fogs, Extang Revolution Tonneau Cover, Custom LED bed lighting, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Tailgate Remote Power Lock Mod, MaxLiner Floor Mats, Ford OEM Underseat Cargo Box, LED Interior and Reverse Lights (Diode Dynamics), Recon LED 3rd Brake Light, NL Door Detents, .50 cal antenna, Custom Coding (ForScan)

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Ya, I was thinking 2011-2012 had MAF sensors, 13 and up are MAP only.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    The one in the air box looks like the top one as well the other two look the same.
    Max

2012 Gem Green XLT.

Member #
    Liked
    1734 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostking View Post
    MAF sensor (2011) is not used to read air flow, but rather Air Temp. I've even "heard" of a few 2012's with the MAF as well.

Eventually Ford completely switched to only MAP and IAT sensors.

These are speed density vehicles, so the MAF (even if it exist), is only used for reading air temp, not flow. Just fyi.
    I concur. Thanks for elaborating.

The one in the air box looks like the top one as well the other two look the same.
    The top picture is a MAP sensor. FYI, Boostking is a professional tuner for SCT, so he knows the parameters of these engines pretty well.

Good luck, and please Keep us updated on progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links