2013 Limited - Coolant Leak

This is a discussion on 2013 Limited - Coolant Leak within the F150 Ecoboost Maintenance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; I noticed my reservoir was empty when I changed my air filter the other week. So I topped it off... it's gone down already... so ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jibtechwarrior

Thread: 2013 Limited - Coolant Leak

Member #

I noticed my reservoir was empty when I changed my air filter the other week. So I topped it off... it's gone down already... so I'm thinking I've got a leak somewhere.

I do not have anything leaking to the point of a puddle or any obvious signs.

From what I'm reading on here, there are a couple places it seems to leak from.

1. Reservoir joint
    2. Fitting on turbos
    3. T-fitting

Anywhere else I can check? I looked at the fittings under the reservoir and don't see anything there... like I said no puddles either. Hoping it's not the turbo fitting... looks like it could be a bit of work pulling the turbos.

TIA

Member #
    Liked
    280 times
    Could also be a blown head gasket and you don't see a puddle because your motor is trying to combust the liquid leaking in there.

Also check your oil. I think it's possible that the oil cooler can leak coolant inside it.
    2012 SCREW Eco FX4 Tuxedo Black, Fully loaded, Max Tow, 3.73 rear.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Firestone Air bags.

Member #
    Liked
    449 times
    I remember that elbow leak is pretty quick and doesn't leave much evidence. Maybe get some dye in the system too?
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Ecoboost Veteran jibtechwarrior's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Check the underside of the elbow at the reservoir, that's where the drip propagates from. It will end up on the d/s frame rail as well. Stick your hand or a paper towel under there and see if it comes back greasy/coolanty. Super common and pegasus racing makes a kit that solves the problem 100%.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    GearHead_1 likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jibtechwarrior View Post
    Check the underside of the elbow at the reservoir, that's where the drip propagates from. It will end up on the d/s frame rail as well. Stick your hand or a paper towel under there and see if it comes back greasy/coolanty. Super common and pegasus racing makes a kit that solves the problem 100%.

Found the kit here:

Pegasus Kit on Amazon

Will check it more thoroughly as it's been mentioned a few times.. the reservoir elbow that is. As I understand it, there's an o-ring in there that goes bad... the Pegasus would certainly resolve that... forever. Fingers crossed it really is leaking and that's all it is. Simple fix if so!

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tri4autism View Post
    Found the kit here:

Pegasus Kit on Amazon

Will check it more thoroughly as it's been mentioned a few times.. the reservoir elbow that is. As I understand it, there's an o-ring in there that goes bad... the Pegasus would certainly resolve that... forever. Fingers crossed it really is leaking and that's all it is. Simple fix if so!
    Hey @tri4autism,

Did you find your leak? If it was the quick-disconnect at the bottom of the tank, you might want to check out our replacement expansion tank. Our tank replaces that QD and a portion of the stock line with a proper barbed fitting and silicone hose. The QD fitting on the tank isn't designed to hold a hose with a worm-gear clamp and we've seen a few continue to leak with that method.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or if we can help in any other way!

-Steve

Ecoboost Veteran jibtechwarrior's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    When installed properly that pegasus kit is bang on. It is a little janky in construction, but it does work.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jibtechwarrior View Post
    When installed properly that pegasus kit is bang on. It is a little janky in construction, but it does work.

"janky in construction" that is a good way to describe the Pegasus kit. I installed mine about a year ago, and you definitely know it's not factory, but like you said it gets the job done

Sponsored Links