AC compressor broke off

AC compressor broke off

This is a discussion on AC compressor broke off within the F150 Ecoboost Maintenance forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; Okay, here goes; AC compressor has completely broken off from block. At least two bolts have sheared and are still in the block. Current garage ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: AC compressor broke off

Member #
    Liked
    21 times

AC compressor broke off

Okay, here goes; AC compressor has completely broken off from block. At least two bolts have sheared and are still in the block. Current garage says they can't reach to extract because the frame rail is there.
    Will make call to dealership and few other garages tomorrow as this info came to me too late.
    Anyone have thoughts on a solution if bolts cannot be extracted due to frame rail?
    Photo was taken days before it broke while I was locating a coolant leak. Leak at trans oil cooler lines due to rust.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    SCT Livewire TS+ w/ 5*custom 93 tune / AFE CAI / AFE Blade Runner charge pipe / AFE 4" cat back / Snow Performance water/meth kit / 170 Tstat / CR Performance full bore exhaust manifolds / Full Race GT Turbos / Turbo Smart BOVs / UPR dual catch can / SP534 Plugs at .03 Some others; Hellwig sway bars / Bilstein shocks / Pro Comp add a leafs / walnut blast valves / 180k miles orig. eng. / heavy foot

Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    Wow , never heard of this before. Engine is going to have to be pulled or maybe it can be lifted off motor mounts and tilted to get at bolt holes. Depending on your finance i would cut the belt and drive it till you figure out when and where you can get it it fixed. Sucks man . At least you don't live in Arizona.
    Last edited by BAD454SS; 05-30-2019 at 05:18 AM.
    2014 FX4Tremor,FullraceDP,Wagner,BBK,Afe CAI,ITV22,MSDcoils,180 thrmostat ,Unleashed 91 tune.
    2010 Raptor ,6.2L, 2.9 Whipple 650 hp kit .MODS everything
    2002 Lightning ,3.4 whipple ,800 RWHP, MODS everything
    1993 454 SS ,502 ci and 2.4 kennebell, 600 rwhp MODS everything
    1979 10th annivesary trans am 400 4spd , 56,000 orig miles, Stock
    1963 Impala 21,000 orig miles
    2015 POLARIS Scrambler 1000,Stock
    1995 BANSHEE ,Not Stock
    1985 Yamaha RZ500 ,4 cylinder2 stroke,12,000 miles , Australia

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    That option doesn't really work as it's in the nineties here in the Carolinas. Belt came off on its own and has since been cut off to avoid getting Tangled in serpinten belt.
    With compressor removed there should be a good 5" or more of room to get at those bolts. We'll see.

Envious likes this.
    SCT Livewire TS+ w/ 5*custom 93 tune / AFE CAI / AFE Blade Runner charge pipe / AFE 4" cat back / Snow Performance water/meth kit / 170 Tstat / CR Performance full bore exhaust manifolds / Full Race GT Turbos / Turbo Smart BOVs / UPR dual catch can / SP534 Plugs at .03 Some others; Hellwig sway bars / Bilstein shocks / Pro Comp add a leafs / walnut blast valves / 180k miles orig. eng. / heavy foot

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    279 times
    Use a tap out with a 90 degree drill. If that doesn't work try a flexible drill chuck through the wheel well. This should be doable in the truck. When i pulled my compressor I was able to get a rachet with a 3" extension plus the socket. So I think you're right, there's about 5" there to work with. Good luck on the rescue mission!

BTW, How did the compressor break off? Curious minds would like to know.
    2012 SCREW Eco FX4 Tuxedo Black, Fully loaded, Max Tow, 3.73 rear.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Firestone Air bags.

Member #
    Liked
    212 times
    What's eating up your truck so badly? First a coolant leak thanks to rusted trans cooler lines, then the AC compressor breaks off? Too much road salt and not enough washing?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Truck is definitely a Yankee! Picked her up certified new in Detroit area, 2011 model, and took her to NJ until last year. Now back south in Charlotte area. She's been washed as frequently as possible except during those months where it's not above freezing. 206k miles, and no I'm not dumping her.
    My thought could be the bolts were over torqued by a jackass and time lead to them breaking due to the pull from the belt. When I found the belt was not on compressor it had lost one whole V notch around the circumference. A tech may have unbolted it to fit the belt on and over torqued, vs. using the zip tie method Ford came up with.
    I have a call into dealership and pleaded they ask a technician and call me back. Still waiting.
    In an apartment until end of July, so not much I'm able to do for her til then.

Member #
    Liked
    279 times
    The bolt posts on the compressor seem to fit small socket towers on the block. Not sure what year you have, but when reinstalling I found that unless I alternated the tightening of the bolts very evenly, these posts would would not go inside the socket, but would bind on the lip. It felt as though it was getting "tighter" but really the compressor was not seated into these sockets all the way. The compressor has to go on directly perpendicular to the plane of the socket to get it to mate properly. There is a bolt sleeve I see listed at Tasca, so perhaps that is what I was feeling going into the block hole. I doubt it was bolted down properly. I don't think the force of the belt could have sheared those bolts off if it was seated all the way down properly. I could be wrong though..
    snakebitten likes this.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Firestone Air bags.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Those sleeves you speak of are called spacers. They are still attached to the compressor, but are no longer round. Could be that they were not seated properly as you mention. I'm to get truck back this evening with compressor completely removed. I'll try to get pics and post them.

parts for the compressor mounting are;
    E9SZ-19E744-B (compressor spacers)
    W704750-S437 (Compressor Assembly Mount Bolts)

Ecoboost Regular philosopheriam's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Are the bolts broken flush at the block?

FYI: I'm a heavy equipment mechanic and I extract broken bolts all the time - F the drilling/easy out BS, rent a small 110v MIG welder and weld the center of a washer (that has a smaller internal diameter then the bolt) to the exposed part of the bolt. Then, weld a nut to the washer. Use a wrench on the nut to unscrew the bolt.

If the bolt is broken slightly below the surface of the block, you can do several layers of tack welds to build up to where you can then weld the washer.

This process is one of the best ways to extract bolts without screwing up a bunch of other stuff.
    snakebitten likes this.
    2014 F150 XLT Supercab 4x4, 3.5L Ecoboost, 6.5" Bed
    Two things my truck WILL NOT be receiving: a catch can and a tune... (Well, maybe, I've lightened up on the tune part)

Member #
    Liked
    279 times
    While I agree the welding method is superior for bolt extraction, it's not for any amateurs because the block is aluminum and can melt much faster at those temps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links